Berkeley Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM-UCLA tech

CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all......

Now that I have been accepted somewhere....I thought I would chime in and give my own .02 :

I have been around pre-med students for nine years, and have had the opportunity to rack their brains on which mcat review course was the best. I have heard comments from at least 5 or 6 hundred students who have taken these courses. While studying for the mcat, I also had the review books from Kaplan, Princeton Review/Hyper Learning, and Berkeley Review.

IMO I have found that Kaplan should be a definite, NO ! Stay away from them. I think their only saving grace is their test bank. But any review course you take will offer you a sufficient amount of practice tests and test questions. A friend of mine who had Kaplan for last April even told me that one of the instructors was drinking a Smirnoff Ice during lecture! I hear that the lectures are minimally informative and that the lecturers don't have much information beyond the specifics they are presenting.

Princeton Review/Hyper Learning seems to be pretty good. Most of the comments I have heard are positive. Although I hear that their pre-verbal classes are not worth the extra effort. I have found that their books are too large, and not very well organized.

So..... my choice was Berkeley Review. By far, the most glowing positive responses came from students who took this course. I found that Berkeley Review was extremely well organized, and the information I was presented was invaluable. Their books are very well written, and each section is divided into Part I and Part II. It makes it easier to navigate, and carry around !!!! The lecturers are INCREDIBLY brilliant! The really know their stuff, and have answers to just about any question you might have. If they don't know an answer, they will find out for you. But one of the best things about Berkeley Review is the enjoyment factor. I think that just about everyone who takes this course really enjoys the lectures. It makes it much easier to be motivated to study and go to the classes.

I hope that this helps all of you making your decisions. Any review course you take will definitely benefit you.

P.S. I still have all of my books and tests, etc....so if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

if somebody has the berkeley review books, please contact me. i have a lot of books to trade with, and i am willing to pay well. so please let me know as soon as possible. thank you.

Are you talking exclusively about the Westwood and Santa Monica regions?