Berkeley vs other options for BME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abject_combination

Reaction score
I'm entering as a freshman undergrad this fall, and I am having trouble deciding where to go. I have good options (see below for stats), but I am unsure because of grade deflation at schools like Berkeley. Currently, it's my best option since it's the cheapest, I can continue my research into college, and it's close to home. Do you think I can "make it" through Cal, or should I consider spending a lot more on undergrad at private colleges?—if I get in, that is. I don't want to come across as too ambitious, but ultimately, I would love to pursue an MD/PhD as I want to pursue medical research primarily and practice medicine as an additional component (I have better reasons for this path, but I'd like to keep them private).

Accepted:
  1. UC Berkeley with Regents scholarship consideration—bioengineering
  2. Georgia Tech—BME
  3. UIUC—bioengineering
Stats:
Asian Male, California. Competitive Public School. Upper Middle Class.

ACT/SAT/SAT II:

ACT: 36

Math II: 800, BioM: 780

UW/W GPA and Rank:

3.95 UW |4.31W | No Rank, but at least top 10%

Coursework:

AP 5's on all: Bio, Chem, Comp Sci A, World, English Lang, French, Calc BC

Senior year: Multivariable Calculus, AP Lit, AP Gov/Econ, AP Physics C Mech and E/M, AP Env Sci

Extracurriculars:
  1. Independent research for 4 years: Authored a paper on my work and submitted it as part of my app. It's related to environmental engineering. Won several awards.
  2. Director and Project Founder for a non-profit in Lebanon: Created a project that reached over 2500 people based on my independent research above. Also managed the website and content in French.
  3. Computational Researcher: Have been working as the sole computational researcher at a prestigious university's lab. Authored 2 papers for submission. Great LOR from my mentor.
  4. Re-founder and Director of an environmental study at my school: Participated as a student for a couple years. Leading teacher left and data was lost; I recovered the data and recreated a website. Working with my env sci teacher to manage the project.
  5. Intern at 2 different labs over 2 years: Worked on my own project in 1 lab in 1 year; interned at the other lab 1 year. (I grouped these together on the CommonApp)
  6. Board Intern for a local city arts council: Volunteered for an organization that promotes the arts in a nearby city.
  7. Director of Technology and Content at a national tutoring site: Created project materials for an entrepreneurship program for elementary school students. Managed website.
  8. Music (I'll leave this vague): Won some competitions, earned a certificate.
  9. FBLA: VP 2 years: Won the most awards of any student from my school
  10. Volunteer at a Hospice
  11. Orchestra for 3 years
  12. A few small things for volunteering and stuff locally

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I did BioE undergrad at Berkeley and am matriculating MSTP next year, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Despite grade deflation, Berkeley is a wonderful place. It can kick your butt but I wouldn’t trade my experience there for anything. You are young and you have the best years of your life ahead of you, go where you think you will be A) happy and B) be able to grow into the type of adult you want to be

Members don't see this ad :)
The EC creep is real. :laugh:

Personally, I appreciate the academic rigor of Berkeley, though expect to work your butt off to get good grades. Based on your high school and AP grades, I suspect you have the aptitude to do well provided you keep on top of things. The main benefit of going elsewhere would be to have a different experience away from home, and to become more independent etc.

Not sure what regents is but Cal is a good school. Make sure to have fun once in a while. However, the trail to the application cycle is littered with engineering majors with low GPAs, especially at a grade deflating school like Cal. Keep that in mind.

Not sure what regents is but Cal is a good school. Make sure to have fun once in a while. However, the trail to the application cycle is littered with engineering majors with low GPAs, especially at a grade deflating school like Cal. Keep that in mind.
Regents is the merit scholarship system for Californians attending state schools. OP is the kind of person who excels in Berkeley premed. I cannot imagine walking away from a BME program that strong, on scholarship, for anywhere else besides Stanford/MIT.

Reactions: 1 users
Regents is the merit scholarship system for Californians attending state schools. OP is the kind of person who excels in Berkeley premed. I cannot imagine walking away from a BME program that strong, on scholarship, for anywhere else besides Stanford/MIT.
Not worried about them excelling in a premed program, just that engineering programs typically have lower GPAs as a result of the class curves/material, which could damage their chances. You dont know where you will fall on the curve till you are on the curve. Just my 2 cents. If he was trying to become a biomechanical engineer of course that's the place for him, but he's not.

Not worried about them excelling in a premed program, just that engineering programs typically have lower GPAs as a result of the class curves/material, which could damage their chances. You dont know where you will fall on the curve till you are on the curve. Just my 2 cents. If he was trying to become a biomechanical engineer of course that's the place for him, but he's not.
Fair, but I also think a lot of engineers decide to be engineers instead of doctors when they see what medicine is actually like. Besides all his other options are going to be similarly deflating.

Between Cal, UCSD, or UCLA (assuming I get in), which would you suggest?
Cal

Your EC’s are better than mine and I already went to college lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Choose Cal with Regents. How do u pass up full tuition scholarship at top 3 engineering school?
Also your other choices probably have grade deflation too. If you want easy A's, you need to go 1 tier down...like UCI, UCD, UCSB...not UCB or UCLA. UCSD bioengineering is really top and probably have very smart ppl in that major too.

If you do have a grade deflation, do 2 year science courses after you graduate at tier 2 or 3 UC or Cal State. A Berkeley grad of mine did that and got in to a UC med school. Med school admissions do give some leeway knowing Cal grade deflation, possibly 0.1-0.2 boost to GPA. You can also somewhat 'game' your courses and pick science/math courses with 40%+ A's. Also do not AP out of any math/science class at Cal, since those would be your easier A's.

You could possibly change your mind about med school. Berkeley has such great engineering fame and connections...so many Silicon Valley company recruiters at Cal engineering...you'll probably get interested in AI or machine learning or new frontiers in tech such that you do not want to do medicine. If in engineering you can get 120+ salary plus stocks when you graduate...income about 150k-200k, why would you go to med school by graduating with 100k-200k debt, work for 45k as residents for 3-7 years, before making 200k-300k salary? Unless you really have passion for medicine. Financially Berkeley engineering makes much better sense.
Also probably happiness. Pursuing medicine means prime of your years laden by lack of choice as to where to live (where you go to med school, residency) and heavy debt. Medicine is about delayed gratification and a high commitment to helping patients.

Also personally I have issue with MD/PhD. If you work in academic medicine, you won't make physician income, you make about 150k-200k. If you work as doctor and want big income...it's hard to do research at the same time. It's really better to just go either the PhD route or MD route, not both.

Last edited: