Berkley Review BIO: tough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow, these bio passages are tough dude...makes EK look like a joke...not sure if this toughness has any relevancy to the real MCAT...your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha, I feel like I'm stalking you transformers, bu I'm really not, I swear ;)

I don't know about the BR books, I didn't use them, but I took the 6 of the 7 BR CBTs, and I can tell you that they were very similar (based on difficulty and content) to the 5/22 bio section (very difficult) the BR was pretty harshly curved, or maybe I just did better on the actual exam, but my BR average bio score was an 8, and I got a 10 on the real thing

Except for the questions that test your memorization, the questions in BR Bio are great. FOr example, I saw a question about relationship between resistance and radius in one of the Cardio passages, that is straight up memorization (Poiseuille's Law), but then there were questions about blood flow and viscosity, that were more "deriving from passage" type questions. I have looked at very few of BR BIo passages, so I am not sure about the questions overall.

They Molecular /Biochem/Genetics sections are very difficult. I am also about finished with the TBR CBTs and I agree the BIo sections are very difficult and harshly curved. I have one more TBR and AAMC 10 test to go and my Bio is averaging around an 8.3 and my AAMC average right now is a 10.

TBR test are great. AAMCs and TBR total scores are within like a .4 of a point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, i started a thread like this a few months ago :)

Yep, they are tough but great. Lots more detail than necessary in content review, but if you are getting 12-13s on TBR bio passages you should destroy the MCAT bio passages.

The only thing TBR doesn't do is ask questions in poorly worded ways as to disguise how truly easy the question is. I only used EK and TBR for home study, and when I started taking AAMC full lengths I noticed that the MCAT people love to word questions in ways that are nearly incomprehensible in terms of "what are they trying to say in this tortured syntax?"

Most of the time, it's their way of hiding a really trivial question. Like reading a number off a chart, or recalling something directly from the passage. Really frustrating to get those types wrong in the beginning. So make sure you are looking at some AAMC exams!

just amazing...BR PASSAGES are literally 100 TIMES harder than EK;; they are really good but they make my 13 and 14s on AAMCs appear to be a joke...every passages is TOUGH

where are these passages available? How good is the TBR Bio Hyperlearning book?

I meant TBR, but for some reason I thought they had a Hyperlearning set as well; just a mix up from the names I suppose.
So what TBR books(titles) are best for Physics and Chemistry?
*Note: I realize this is about Bio but I just read TBR is basically the material to get for Physical Sciences.

Err, I just dont get where people come up with the idea that "harder the better" Here is my thought for TBR Biology's.

Flaws:

1. Alot of questions are subjects from other sections (physics, chem, ochem, other sections of biology). So if you are using this for contents review first time you are fked.
2. Some question are worded a little awkwardly, but so does every other company.
3. Some of questions expect you to know some background knowledge that you dont even supposed to know. And the worst part about it is they dont even cover that in their book (like eye/ear anatomy). I literally was wondering if i am missing a section of the book. However some of them can be answered with the passage of course, but the passage is so dense from all the volcabs that you are unfamilar with you have to read like 6 times. I think for people without more experience in some practice MCAT it skew's their proception of what real MCAT is testing.
4. Curve is totally bs.

Over all impression.

If you only have 1 month left before your test. I would just say forget about TBR, way too time consumming. I did learn quiet a bit however I none of which is required knowledge by AAMC you would do alot better if you reinforce your basics. Did AAMC 10 yesterday I got 13 for bio easily (with like 30 minutes left to the timer). I missed 4 questions NONE of them is because I didnt know some facts.

Last edited:
what did you use for Bio?

I used EK for bio mainly. I think it does a extremely good job on stuff that you actually need to know. However, I had microbio, genetics, biochem, physiology, cell bio, and did well in them (I believe 50% of the battle for mcat is won in class room). So it was not too bad just had to learn the physiology more (didnt pay attention in class). I also have all my books from class so if there is anything that i feel is not covered adquetly I will go read the book chapter a little. Honostly MCAT bio isnt hard once you REALLY know the basics.