Berkley Review Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just took a practice Verbal test from BR Exam 1. I got 45 right out of 60, and according to their chart, this translates into an 11-12 on the real thing. This seems inaccurate to me. Whenever I got 15 wrong on any other practice exam (EK, Kaplan, PR), that usually translates to an 8 or 9. Are the BR tests so much harder or is their scaling off?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

beponychick said:
Hi guys,

I just took a practice Verbal test from BR Exam 1. I got 45 right out of 60, and according to their chart, this translates into an 11-12 on the real thing. This seems inaccurate to me. Whenever I got 15 wrong on any other practice exam (EK, Kaplan, PR), that usually translates to an 8 or 9. Are the BR tests so much harder or is their scaling off?

Thanks everyone!

TBR verbal seemed too easy when compared to TPRs verbal. I heard from many people that verbal is a big weak point for the TBR books. Maybe u could buy the TPR or EK books for verbal and study those instead.

They emailed out revised scales last year, right after we took the exam. I think my verbal ended up 2 points lower and each science went up 1 with the revised scale on br exam 1. The revised scores were pretty good indicators of my real score.

And I actually found their verbal class handouts to be great. I liked them better than my PR and EK stuff, although EK was pretty good too. If anything lacked with Br, it was the passages in the book. The first sets were too easy, but the last ones weren't bad. I agree that you should get some PR passages to work from. They are a bit harder than the real test.

Good luck.

Hi, Thank you. This makes more sense. Is the revised schedule good for every BR test or just for Exam 1? I plan to take all of their exams and want to accurately score myself.

PRamos said:
They emailed out revised scales last year, right after we took the exam. I think my verbal ended up 2 points lower and each science went up 1 with the revised scale on br exam 1. The revised scores were pretty good indicators of my real score.

And I actually found their verbal class handouts to be great. I liked them better than my PR and EK stuff, although EK was pretty good too. If anything lacked with Br, it was the passages in the book. The first sets were too easy, but the last ones weren't bad. I agree that you should get some PR passages to work from. They are a bit harder than the real test.

Good luck.

beponychick, the revised score is just for exam 1. I wouldn't put too much weight into your Berkeley Review verbal scores. I took the Berkeley Review course, and was pleased with every aspect except the verbal. I ended up using EK 101 verbal passages, and it helped me a lot. Good luck!