Besides PBL...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinpredent

UCLA School of Dentistry
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been hearing some mixed feelings about USC...some like it, some hate it, some have beef with PBL, others say its too expensive, and yet others love it.

For those of you who are USC dental students, or anyone who knows a student at USC or has an idea about life as a dental student at USC...what gives? Are the students as unhappy as some make them out to be? Is the problem PBL, or is the supposed discontent with the school being somewhat exaggerated?

I'm sure there are plenty of USCers that love it...anyone care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

So i've been hearing some mixed feelings about USC...some like it, some hate it, some have beef with PBL, others say its too expensive, and yet others love it.

For those of you who are USC dental students, or anyone who knows a student at USC or has an idea about life as a dental student at USC...what gives? Are the students as unhappy as some make them out to be? Is the problem PBL, or is the supposed discontent with the school being somewhat exaggerated?

I'm sure there are plenty of USCers that love it...anyone care to share?

Yeah, I second this post. I got onto the USC PBL site and I've looked over your case studies. They seem cool. I really want to here from students though what they think. I'm interviewing end of the month and I'd like to think it all over based upon some comments from SDN people.

I also want to know how that works with NDBE Part I. How do you learn anatomy, histology and everything else with case studies and no lecture?

Members don't see this ad :)
come on guys...someone has got to have some insight

Pose this question in the forum where USC dental students are more likely to visit.

i go to usc. pbl is awsome. learning comes to you even if you dont realize it. you are studying something and then someone asks you something and all of a sudden you realize that you know it and can APPLY it.

yes some people dont like it. if you are not a people person dont do pbl. you need to be able to speak with other people and be able to have a conversation and get your point across. also if you arent ok with speaking in front of an audience you might not like pbl. we have to give some presentations in front of faculty members.

in my opinion pbl is great and im sooooooooooo glad that i came to usc. yes its expensive but its worth it to me. usc upperclassmen are very very inviting to us 2010's. i just got back from a volunteer clinic and they are so helpful and we get some awsome clinical experience.

good luck

i go to usc. pbl is awsome. learning comes to you even if you dont realize it. you are studying something and then someone asks you something and all of a sudden you realize that you know it and can APPLY it.

yes some people dont like it. if you are not a people person dont do pbl. you need to be able to speak with other people and be able to have a conversation and get your point across. also if you arent ok with speaking in front of an audience you might not like pbl. we have to give some presentations in front of faculty members.

in my opinion pbl is great and im sooooooooooo glad that i came to usc. yes its expensive but its worth it to me. usc upperclassmen are very very inviting to us 2010's. i just got back from a volunteer clinic and they are so helpful and we get some awsome clinical experience.

good luck

thank you so much for your input, its nice to get some feedback from someone going there. from the way you describe it, i think i might like PBL...it almost sounds like model united nations with case studies. if thats the case, then it should be a blast!

Im at USC this year and I love it as well. Its true, you do definitley end up learning most of what you have to know just by going through the case studies. And it is a much more fun way to learn than sitting in a lecture hall. The downside is that yes, you may miss some things here and there that you should know, so for boards most people end up studying by reading textbooks themselves but PBL gives you wonderful knowledge-attaining skills and free time to boot.
Yes you have to be able to have discussions with your classmates and a faculty member present, but I consider myself shy and I am doing well because I get along with my group and I understand the material.
Anyway hope this helps! GL with interviews!