Best Advice You Have Going Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparty1029

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
General Chemistry II summer courses are generally very intensive. I would be wary of taking that together with Physics I and II.

Members don't see this ad :)
General Chemistry II summer courses are generally very intensive. I would be wary of taking that together with Physics I and II.
If thats the case I will definitely just do Chemistry II on its on own to take Orgo Fall 2016. And then I can always take Physics I and II over the summer of my sophomore year, what do you think?

Reactions: 1 user
It's only your first semester. At this point, as long as you work hard and show that this was all part of a pretty normal adjustment to college life, you'll be fine (even for MD.) You have the benefit of having few credit hours counting towards your GPA at this point. GPA repair doesn't get any easier than this, so take advantage of the opportunity you have in the coming semesters to earn yourself that needed boost.

You've identified what went wrong. You know how to fix it: don't go out quite as much and study harder.

Also, Roll Tide.

EDIT:
If thats the case I will definitely just do Chemistry II on its on own to take Orgo Fall 2016. And then I can always take Physics I and II over the summer of my sophomore year, what do you think?

This sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: 3 users
It's only your first semester. At this point, as long as you work hard and show that this was all part of a pretty normal adjustment to college life, you'll be fine (even for MD.) You have the benefit of having few credit hours counting towards your GPA at this point. GPA repair doesn't get any easier than this, so take advantage of the opportunity you have in the coming semesters to earn yourself that needed boost.

You've identified what went wrong. You know how to fix it: don't go out quite as much and study harder.

Also, Roll Tide.

EDIT:

Thanks for the encouragement and you have no idea how motivated I am because I finally understand where I was going wrong and I wasn't using all the resources provided to me to my benefit. I made the biggest mistake of letting social status take over rather than focusing on my studies. Also I loved everything you told me until I saw the "Roll Tide" haha all jokes aside, thank you very much! And yeah I'm hoping working hard this upcoming next semester and getting myself back on track. I know I can do it!

Do you still think I should do PA even if 4.0 my 3 classes next semester, in addition do you think DO is out of the picture?

I think he meant pre-allo and not physicians assistant. You'll be fine. You have lots of time left and know what went wrong. Study hard and start to find some activities when you get your academics squared away! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Okay so I just completed my first semester of college and you can probably tell where I go based on my username. I am currently on the Human Biology/Premed, but that is subject to change. I am in a program called Lyman Briggs where our science classes are ridiculously hard and I didn't realize what a mistake it was to take it. My first semester grades:
HPS(Writing class) - 3.5
Lyman Briggs Chemistry - 1.0
Lyman Briggs Chemistry lab - 3.0
Pre-Calc - 2.0 (I had a 4.0 originally but I bombed the last exam and the final...)

So basically these are the worst grades I have ever received. However I am retaking chemistry next semester so my grade will stay on transcript but my GPA will be recovered because I will be taking Chemistry through the university instead of this absurd program. So you basically can replace that Chemistry as a potential 4.0/3.5
Luckily next semester I have only 12 credits which are ISS, Chemistry I, Calculus I. I plan on taking Chemistry II through a community college over the summer along with Physics I and II.

My biggest concern is getting medical school but as I have already managed to "mess up"(understatement) I am REALLY trying hard to make sure I can hopefully can get into a decent DO school before I even consider the Caribbean island. I was wondering what suggestions you may have to strengthen my transcript in the future.

For starters I will be changing my major to Psychology(easier + I enjoyed Psychology in high school). As for the reasons why my grades may suck is because a) I had a horrible work ethic until the last few weeks of college because I finally learned how to study and manage my time b) I was going out WAY too much

I love science and I will not give up on my dream just yet because I know that I can overcome this hurdle. Thank you very much for reading and for your help.
I'm a Lyman Briggs alum, and I don't agree with the absurdity. Hard, yes, but if you have the discipline, it is quite doable. This ain't high school anymore, and I thought LB classes really prepared me well for med school. Think about redoubling your efforts to focus and concentrate. Good Luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users

Sounds like a better plan. Though you might be able to handle both, I wouldn't risk it. It'll be safer for you to just take General Chem II this summer.

I agree with Doxorubicin.

I'm a Lyman Briggs alum, and I don't agree with the absurdity. Hard, yes, but if you have the discipline, it is quite doable. This ain't high school anymore, and I thought LB classes really prepared me well for med school. Think about redoubling your efforts to focus and concentrate. Good Luck to you.
I spent countless hours with my TA during Chem office hours and I went to every single office hour my professor held and I had a 2.5 so I bombed the final that I could retake Chemistry because I needed a 75% to 2.5 and there was no way I was getting that. However, this is college but you compare the pre med reqs(at least for Chem) from Briggs to University classes, they are is a huge difference. Also I think I will stay in Briggs because of its prestige and I love the availability of professors. Quick question, did Lyman Briggs helps you get any job offers or anything of that sort because you had a degree from Briggs rather the University? Just wondering! And do you have tips for a freshman pre med for class wise/opportunities on campus?
Go Green!

Sorry, I meant PA as in pre-allo. Lazy typing
I was really scared for a moment but I am glad I joined SDN because the support of those who are currently in the process of being accepted to medical school/IN medical school gives me a lot of hope! No worries at all for the lazy typing haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a better plan. Though you might be able to handle both, I wouldn't risk it. It'll be safer for you to just take General Chem II this summer.

I agree with Doxorubicin.

Yeah absolutely, focus on that 4.0 in Chem II!

Last edited:
I spent countless hours with my TA during Chem office hours and I went to every single office hour my professor held and I had a 2.5 so I bombed the final that I could retake Chemistry because I needed a 75% to 2.5 and there was no way I was getting that. However, this is college but you compare the pre med reqs(at least for Chem) from Briggs to University classes, they are is a huge difference. Also I think I will stay in Briggs because of its prestige and I love the availability of professors. Quick question, did Lyman Briggs helps you get any job offers or anything of that sort because you had a degree from Briggs rather the University? Just wondering! And do you have tips for a freshman pre med for class wise/opportunities on campus?
Go Green!
The part of Briggs is that is smaller, and I got to be a Learning Assistant for 5 semesters, and did research for 2 years. The prestige is more internal than external. Do better in the classes, and people will pluck you from the crowd (and MSU is a crowd). Best wishes.

Hi. This is your first semester. It's expected that u may not do as well due to the fact that you're adjusting and probably adopting a whole new way of studying!!!!! As long as you have figured out what works for you + focus on your goal, you should be good, because upward GPA trends are usually viewed in a positive light when applying for med school!!! Good luck!

Wow cannot believe the semester is over. I have some good news and bad news.

So I figured out my studying strategy!

Calc I: 3.5

ISS 210: 3.5

Chem: 2.5(I had a 3.5 going into the final but I completely bombed the final)

Not the best not the worst. I really wish I had got more sleep before my Chem instead of trying to study more and pulling an all nighter.

This summer I will be taking Physics I and II and next fall I am booked:

Chemistry 2 + Lab
Biology + Lab
Intro to Psych
Physics Lab

Wow cannot believe the semester is over. I have some good news and bad news.

So I figured out my studying strategy!

Calc I: 3.5

ISS 210: 3.5

Chem: 2.5(I had a 3.5 going into the final but I completely bombed the final)

Not the best not the worst. I really wish I had got more sleep before my Chem instead of trying to study more and pulling an all nighter.

This summer I will be taking Physics I and II and next fall I am booked:

Chemistry 2 + Lab
Biology + Lab
Intro to Psych
Physics Lab
Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, but if you got a 2.5 in CEM 141 after having already taken Lyman Briggs Gen Chem then I think you still need to reconsider your studying methods. CEM 141 is the tip of the iceberg and if you struggle with that content then CEM 251-252 are going to be TOUGH. It looks like your taking around 12 credits per semester and staying on track to graduate in four years by taking summer classes. I think this is a smart decision and one you should continue while you can. This will give you more time to start building your ECs with volunteer hours and research, something I wish I would've done. Just by looking at the GPAs you provided it looks like your cumulative GPA isn't doing hot. I know it's only been 1 year but that means that 1/3 of the GPA you provide to med schools has already been determined. It's important that you knock the other 2/3 out of the park to up that average. I'd recommend taking advantage of the tutoring and assistance opportunities provided at MSU. Good Luck!

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm genuinely trying to be helpful, but if you got a 2.5 in CEM 141 after having already taken Lyman Briggs Gen Chem then I think you still need to reconsider your studying methods. CEM 141 is the tip of the iceberg and if you struggle with that content then CEM 251-252 are going to be TOUGH. It looks like your taking around 12 credits per semester and staying on track to graduate in four years by taking summer classes. I think this is a smart decision and one you should continue while you can. This will give you more time to start building your ECs with volunteer hours and research, something I wish I would've done. Just by looking at the GPAs you provided it looks like your cumulative GPA isn't doing hot. I know it's only been 1 year but that means that 1/3 of the GPA you provide to med schools has already been determined. It's important that you knock the other 2/3 out of the park to up that average. I'd recommend taking advantage of the tutoring and assistance opportunities provided at MSU. Good Luck!

Hey! I hear you loud and clear man. I need to kill Physics and the rest of college and I know I am capable of doing so! The 2.5 in CEM was mainly be being an idiot and trying to cram as much as I could 2-3 days before the exam and staying up all night to study when it was unnecessary, not so much the content! However I understand what you are saying my man. I missed the 4.0 in Calc I by about 5 points and ISS by 10 (Out of the fraction not the percentages) so I know that if I continue to work hard and show MD schools that I'm not clowning around I can do this! Do you have any other advice?

A bit late to this rodeo, but here's my 2 cents...

Medical school admissions keep getting more and more competitive, with the current national averages being somewhere around 3.6-3.7 GPA... If you're pulling <3.0 in any freshman prereqs, this should be setting off a big red flashing light and a "warning" siren in your head, especially considering that classes only get harder and harder from this point forward.

You need to perform a full diagnostic of your study habits, life-style, and mentality from the past year and figure out everywhere you went wrong. Consult with your peers who performed well and start understanding what you could be doing differently. Subtle details in lifestyles and studiousness can make a huge impact on how well you perform in school.

Some tips I can offer as someone moving into senior year with a 4.0 and extensive mentoring/teaching experience:
  • Have a consistent and adequate sleep/wake schedule... Fine tuning your circadian rhythm ensures optimum physical and mental performance. Irregular or inadequate sleep hinders your ability to focus, retain new information, and recall old information.
  • Eat a healthy and balanced diet... Poor nutrition is the easiest way to shoot yourself in the foot.
  • Exercise regularly... Poor overall fitness can adversely affect your studies more than you'd think.
  • Have meaningful EC's and/or hobbies... These can help get your mind off of schoolwork, provide stress relief, and give you something to look forward to when studying.
  • Study consistently... Review lecture notes immediately after each lecture and review all notes from that unit before the next lecture. Spacing studying out and being repititous with notes improves long-term internalization. You should never have to "cram" or pull all-nighters studying before an exam.
  • Keep up with classwork... Try to complete assignments asap, preferably completing them the day of or soon after they're assigned.
  • Never do rote memorization... Critically understand every science concept and why it happens. You don't have to "memorize" anything if you understand the basic logic and principles governing the topic.
  • Use your resources... Office hours, your peers, tutoring centers, the internet, etc. are all there to help you.
I know this is probbaly more than you were looking for, but these tips are what I offer all new students or those currently struggling. If you can do all these things, especially the consistent studying, I guarantee you will be pulling ~4.0 semesters. Best of luck!

Hey! I hear you loud and clear man. I need to kill Physics and the rest of college and I know I am capable of doing so! The 2.5 in CEM was mainly be being an idiot and trying to cram as much as I could 2-3 days before the exam and staying up all night to study when it was unnecessary, not so much the content! However I understand what you are saying my man. I missed the 4.0 in Calc I by about 5 points and ISS by 10 (Out of the fraction not the percentages) so I know that if I continue to work hard and show MD schools that I'm not clowning around I can do this! Do you have any other advice?
Skydive Fox ^^^ provided a lot of strong advice regarding academics just there. Beyond that, all I can tell you are some things that I wish I would've done during my time at MSU:

1. Start racking up those volunteer hours early (freshman & sophomore year). I didn't focus up on my ECs until my junior year and this really hurt me come time to apply to med school.
2. Take easy electives. Your core science classes are tough and so there is no reason to make things harder on yourself by taking challenging electives. For some idiotic reason, I took a senior level history class as a replacement for a university requirement my sophomore year. That class was as hard, if not harder, than organic chemistry and required way more hours of studying. It literally killed my GPA for that semester when I was taking important core science classes. Also, ISS and IAH classes are not created equal, some are harder than others. I took the social science of sports for 4 credits and a nice GPA boost. My roommates both took intro to wine and an IAH about Broadway musicals. Ask around to find out which classes are easy, that is unless you want to take the harder classes...
3. Sign up for your MCAT as soon as you know when you want to take it. I waited until the last minute and had to drive to Indiana to take it.
4. Build relationships with your professors and volunteer coordinators. I was never the type to go to office hours, I learned better on my own. While this is fine, it's hard to ask a professor for a LOR when they have no idea who you are.

These are all just my own two cent and personal experiences. Since you're on this forum, you're already more focused than I was Freshman year. Good luck!

A bit late to this rodeo, but here's my 2 cents...

Medical school admissions keep getting more and more competitive, with the current national averages being somewhere around 3.6-3.7 GPA... If you're pulling <3.0 in any freshman prereqs, this should be setting off a big red flashing light and a "warning" siren in your head, especially considering that classes only get harder and harder from this point forward.

You need to perform a full diagnostic of your study habits, life-style, and mentality from the past year and figure out everywhere you went wrong. Consult with your peers who performed well and start understanding what you could be doing differently. Subtle details in lifestyles and studiousness can make a huge impact on how well you perform in school.

Some tips I can offer as someone moving into senior year with a 4.0 and extensive mentoring/teaching experience:
  • Have a consistent and adequate sleep/wake schedule... Fine tuning your circadian rhythm ensures optimum physical and mental performance. Irregular or inadequate sleep hinders your ability to focus, retain new information, and recall old information.
  • Eat a healthy and balanced diet... Poor nutrition is the easiest way to shoot yourself in the foot.
  • Exercise regularly... Poor overall fitness can adversely affect your studies more than you'd think.
  • Have meaningful EC's and/or hobbies... These can help get your mind off of schoolwork, provide stress relief, and give you something to look forward to when studying.
  • Study consistently... Review lecture notes immediately after each lecture and review all notes from that unit before the next lecture. Spacing studying out and being repititous with notes improves long-term internalization. You should never have to "cram" or pull all-nighters studying before an exam.
  • Keep up with classwork... Try to complete assignments asap, preferably completing them the day of or soon after they're assigned.
  • Never do rote memorization... Critically understand every science concept and why it happens. You don't have to "memorize" anything if you understand the basic logic and principles governing the topic.
  • Use your resources... Office hours, your peers, tutoring centers, the internet, etc. are all there to help you.
I know this is probbaly more than you were looking for, but these tips are what I offer all new students or those currently struggling. If you can do all these things, especially the consistent studying, I guarantee you will be pulling ~4.0 semesters. Best of luck!

No this is some sweet information! I totally understand what you're saying though. Medical school is no joke and the admission process is even worse so I've talked to my family and if I can't be pulling 3.5+ in majority of my classes next year I will have to reconsider the medical field. I'm going to apply all of these tips for this summer and my summer classes. And I will be referring to these tips through out my sophomore+ years!

Skydive Fox ^^^ provided a lot of strong advice regarding academics just there. Beyond that, all I can tell you are some things that I wish I would've done during my time at MSU:

1. Start racking up those volunteer hours early (freshman & sophomore year). I didn't focus up on my ECs until my junior year and this really hurt me come time to apply to med school.
2. Take easy electives. Your core science classes are tough and so there is no reason to make things harder on yourself by taking challenging electives. For some idiotic reason, I took a senior level history class as a replacement for a university requirement my sophomore year. That class was as hard, if not harder, than organic chemistry and required way more hours of studying. It literally killed my GPA for that semester when I was taking important core science classes. Also, ISS and IAH classes are not created equal, some are harder than others. I took the social science of sports for 4 credits and a nice GPA boost. My roommates both took intro to wine and an IAH about Broadway musicals. Ask around to find out which classes are easy, that is unless you want to take the harder classes...
3. Sign up for your MCAT as soon as you know when you want to take it. I waited until the last minute and had to drive to Indiana to take it.
4. Build relationships with your professors and volunteer coordinators. I was never the type to go to office hours, I learned better on my own. While this is fine, it's hard to ask a professor for a LOR when they have no idea who you are.

These are all just my own two cent and personal experiences. Since you're on this forum, you're already more focused than I was Freshman year. Good luck!

Im going to be seeing if I can shadow a radiologist this summer and if not hopefully volunteer at the library and having something to show medical schools! And appreciate all the other tips! And I do learn better alone but I think next semester I am going to meet with my Chem/other profs all the time to secure a LOR.

I appreciate everyones optimism and having Physics roll around in 5 days I gotta make my SDN fam proud :D

What's up everybody!

Wanted to pump this thread back to life again to give you guys a quick update on what's going on from that previous year.

Just 3.75ed my spring semester and I got a 3.5 in Bio 2 through Lyman Briggs which is good and I'm showing that upward trend

Some things I've done to buff my APP up
-Got an RA position
-Have an interview for a research position within my major
-Will potentially be a tutor for my Bio 2 class!!
-Volunteering in the ER (6 hours once a week)
-Volunteering at a Hospice
-Shadowing about 2-3 doctors this summer!
-Have a job on campus (Front desk job so I can do homework!)

That's about it, I mean I know medicine is my calling and Ive worked harder than I have my entire life and I almost 4.0ed my semester but came up short with my 3.5 in Bio 2(5 credit class tho, beefy eh?)

Anyways yeah! Let me know if this is the right direction in Med Schools wanting me!!

I have 16 credits planned for next semester! And honestly, I love school and doing well.

Also - can anyone relate to me with test anxiety? I know everything before the exam but once I see the exam, I freak out and blank and idk just f*ck myself over :/

Anyways thank you for reading!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just thought I'd say since it wasn't mentioned before, AMCAS doesn't replace grades like a university would. Aka Amcas will average your 1.0 and 2.5 in Chem 1 (?) To a 1.75. Other than that good job!

Also - can anyone relate to me with test anxiety? I know everything before the exam but once I see the exam, I freak out and blank and idk just f*ck myself over :/

Personally, I view that as a lack of confidence in your ability to do well. If you've been studying well and preparing for the tests by doing practice problems, etc, then there's no reason you should feel that kind of crippling anxiety.

It's kind of like swimming. You train and train for a meet by getting your pace as quick as possible, and when you get off the blocks you just swim your race and pray it's enough. When you get to the test you should know you've done everything you can to prepare and you will either ace it or not.

Personally, I view that as a lack of confidence in your ability to do well. If you've been studying well and preparing for the tests by doing practice problems, etc, then there's no reason you should feel that kind of crippling anxiety.

It's kind of like swimming. You train and train for a meet by getting your pace as quick as possible, and when you get off the blocks you just swim your race and pray it's enough. When you get to the test you should know you've done everything you can to prepare and you will either ace it or not.

Yeah I don't think you're wrong. However it stems from the fact that I doubt myself when it comes to studying the material. What I mean by that is I always ask myself - will this be on the exam? Or what about this? What if I'm spending all my time here when I spend it here?

Does that make sense why I get this test anxiety but this summer I'm going to try to put that swimming analogy and see how it goes. Just relax dude

Just thought I'd say since it wasn't mentioned before, AMCAS doesn't replace grades like a university would. Aka Amcas will average your 1.0 and 2.5 in Chem 1 (?) To a 1.75. Other than that good job!

Thanks for the tip!

I will be back here after my fall semester and if I 4.0 all my classes for fall and spring, I don't see a reason not to apply and try to get into medical school.

If I can't do that, would you think I should take that gap year and take that 2.5ish years off getting that solid/awesome MCAT score + EMT training with volunteering and maybe even taking a class or two AND THEN applying?

Yeah I don't think you're wrong. However it stems from the fact that I doubt myself when it comes to studying the material. What I mean by that is I always ask myself - will this be on the exam? Or what about this? What if I'm spending all my time here when I spend it here?

Does that make sense why I get this test anxiety but this summer I'm going to try to put that swimming analogy and see how it goes. Just relax dude

That's where the analogy helps. You don't train for a meet for a few days. You train all season (little meets in the middle like quizzes). Prepare early and as broadly as you can. Practice problems galore. You need to see that you can apply the knowledge to a novel fact pattern. That's where you get confidence.

Learn how to limit the anxiety. Test taking and anxiety are a bad combo...
working out, having a gf, weed, deep breaths help...
Find the right combo for you and study!

That's where the analogy helps. You don't train for a meet for a few days. You train all season (little meets in the middle like quizzes). Prepare early and as broadly as you can. Practice problems galore. You need to see that you can apply the knowledge to a novel fact pattern. That's where you get confidence.

I have a summer class so I'll try to apply it this summer and hopefully lead it to my fall semester! Thanks my man!

Learn how to limit the anxiety. Test taking and anxiety are a bad combo...
working out, having a gf, weed, deep breaths help...
Find the right combo for you and study!

Hahaha I'll have to actually study high and take the exam high if I actually want to do as well as I can. But unfortunately I'm not a smoker and don't plan on it! And I have a GF - She helps with the stress a lot!

I think it really comes to down to mastering the material to point where I don't need to have text anxiety - but it's just something I struggle with haha!

Hahaha I'll have to actually study high and take the exam high if I actually want to do as well as I can. But unfortunately I'm not a smoker and don't plan on it! And I have a GF - She helps with the stress a lot!

I think it really comes to down to mastering the material to point where I don't need to have text anxiety - but it's just something I struggle with haha!

In my experience, mastering the material 100% takes too long. I just make sure that I understand the key concepts from each chapter and can summarize key points. I never try to get perfect exam scores because it would waste too much time. I'm happy with above 90s.

Hi everyone, so I decided I will try to keep this thread as long as I can with updates about how I do and what happens to me! I'm hoping one day, those who gave me that first piece of advise to a pre-med who is struggling can use this as motivation when I HOPEFULLY get into a MD/DO program.

So! I took my summer class - Abnormal Psychology. I got my 4.0 and I will also be a tutor for that class next semester :)

I know that class isn't the same degree as Orgo or Physics but I'm glad I 4.0ed and I will be able to become a tutor and not only help my resume but also help students!

Hi everyone, so I decided I will try to keep this thread as long as I can with updates about how I do and what happens to me! I'm hoping one day, those who gave me that first piece of advise to a pre-med who is struggling can use this as motivation when I HOPEFULLY get into a MD/DO program.

So! I took my summer class - Abnormal Psychology. I got my 4.0 and I will also be a tutor for that class next semester :)

I know that class isn't the same degree as Orgo or Physics but I'm glad I 4.0ed and I will be able to become a tutor and not only help my resume but also help students!
Great work, dude! I genuinely enjoy reading your updates and am really proud of how much you've improved and matured in just a couple semesters. Keep it up, and keep us updated! :)

Great work, dude! I genuinely enjoy reading your updates and am really proud of how much you've improved and matured in just a couple semesters. Keep it up, and keep us updated! :)
You're the man for 1) Unconditional support 2) Amazing advice that I have been using!!

I've got a LONG way to go. Biggest thing I need to realize is why I want this so bad and how many people I can help on the way.

What's up guys! So a breakdown of whats happening this semester (1 month in)

Dropped down to 13 credits with my Orgo 1, PSY 295, PSY 235 and IAH 206

First quiz on Orgo: 27/25(shout out to extra credit!)
First exam on Orgo: 94/100(Originally professor put it in as 86, I emailed her saying I need to look it over since I thought I did really well, a few hours later she found out she put in the wrong grade and I was relieved)
*Living in the TA office hours and constantly working hard is FINALLY paying off. Definitely expecting to hit some bumps in the road, but I'll be ready for it head on and not pumping the brakes until I hand in my final exam. #MambaMentality

Kids in Orgo were asking ME questions. Can you freakin believe it?? A 2.2 student was teaching kids that have 4.0s and 3.5s and it's just absolutely humbling!

I have PSY 295 and PSY 235 this upcoming Tuesday! Do I feel nervous? Heck yes. But I will grind through it and just get it done.

IAH 206 - Pretty easy class. Beast mode has me covered right now.

(I know this is all early but this is just a monthly update because you guys have invested a lot into me!)

*This is not me bragging or trying to show off or ANYTHING like that. I just want someone who might be possibly struggling who just needs to courage to see that it is possible to turn things around and just may need a little boost. You can do it bud, you got this!

*Will be going to Nicaragua this winter break! I can't wait to go and help serve! I would put up my Gofundme here but it has my name and everything :/ but if you are seriously considering donating PLEASE message me. Thank you :)

Now the real deal below

QUESTIONS:

With my decent grades and everything else considered. Do you guys think I should take it nice and slow and take Orgo 2 with Physio spring semester and then my junior year I should take Physics 2 and make sure I 4.0/3.5? OR should I take Orgo 2 with Physics 2 and so that way I can start preparing for my MCAT ASAP and take it senior year.

OR

Do I just take it nice and slow(finish in 4 years) and get the best grades I can get -> Graduate -> Take the MCAT around September or something and hopefully bang out a GREAT score/if not, re-study and focus and make sure I do the best I can do and do well on January and then get EMT certified/Volunteer and have tons and tons of hours AND then apply?

Really conflicted. Would love some insight. Thank you for taking the time to read this and much love!

What's up guys! So a breakdown of whats happening this semester (1 month in)

Dropped down to 13 credits with my Orgo 1, PSY 295, PSY 235 and IAH 206

First quiz on Orgo: 27/25(shout out to extra credit!)
First exam on Orgo: 94/100(Originally professor put it in as 86, I emailed her saying I need to look it over since I thought I did really well, a few hours later she found out she put in the wrong grade and I was relieved)
*Living in the TA office hours and constantly working hard is FINALLY paying off. Definitely expecting to hit some bumps in the road, but I'll be ready for it head on and not pumping the brakes until I hand in my final exam. #MambaMentality

Kids in Orgo were asking ME questions. Can you freakin believe it?? A 2.2 student was teaching kids that have 4.0s and 3.5s and it's just absolutely humbling!

I have PSY 295 and PSY 235 this upcoming Tuesday! Do I feel nervous? Heck yes. But I will grind through it and just get it done.

IAH 206 - Pretty easy class. Beast mode has me covered right now.

(I know this is all early but this is just a monthly update because you guys have invested a lot into me!)

*This is not me bragging or trying to show off or ANYTHING like that. I just want someone who might be possibly struggling who just needs to courage to see that it is possible to turn things around and just may need a little boost. You can do it bud, you got this!

*Will be going to Nicaragua this winter break! I can't wait to go and help serve! I would put up my Gofundme here but it has my name and everything :/ but if you are seriously considering donating PLEASE message me. Thank you :)

Now the real deal below

QUESTIONS:

With my decent grades and everything else considered. Do you guys think I should take it nice and slow and take Orgo 2 with Physio spring semester and then my junior year I should take Physics 2 and make sure I 4.0/3.5? OR should I take Orgo 2 with Physics 2 and so that way I can start preparing for my MCAT ASAP and take it senior year.

OR

Do I just take it nice and slow(finish in 4 years) and get the best grades I can get -> Graduate -> Take the MCAT around September or something and hopefully bang out a GREAT score/if not, re-study and focus and make sure I do the best I can do and do well on January and then get EMT certified/Volunteer and have tons and tons of hours AND then apply?

Really conflicted. Would love some insight. Thank you for taking the time to read this and much love!

Awesome job! If no one in your life has told you recently, I really want you to know that I am very proud of you. Keep it up, buddy!

As far as your question goes, whether or not you take a gap year really just depends on how prepared you are to apply and whether or not you feel like you need that extra year. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to take a gap year because it'd allow you to focus on your classes 100% instead of the MCAT, and you might even do better on the MCAT that way since you'd be going in with a larger base of knowledge than if you took it in junior/senior year. The EC activities you can rack up over a gap year could also polish up your app quite a bit. That's just my advice though so make you weigh all the pros and cons and solicit advice from others as well before committing to a path. Just make sure you have a plan, be it gap year or no gap year. I knew some people who never planned ahead and it really came back to haunt them that they hadn't developed and committed themselves to a longterm plan earlier. Keep your plan flexible, however, and adjust as the need arises.

Also, be careful with how you arrange your course schedules. Make sure you have at least a few semesters where you take multiple hard, upper-level science classes so you can demonstrate to med schools that you're capable of succeeding under a heavy course load, so if that means taking Physics 2 /w Orgo 2 then go for it. That said, also take into account that you don't want to jump the gun and take a heavy course load before you're prepared for it, cuz the outcome could be bad if you go in without the proper mindset, confidence, and study habits. You know yourself best, but that's my 2 cents.

Awesome job! If no one in your life has told you recently, I really want you to know that I am very proud of you. Keep it up, buddy!

As far as your question goes, whether or not you take a gap year really just depends on how prepared you are to apply and whether or not you feel like you need that extra year. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to take a gap year because it'd allow you to focus on your classes 100% instead of the MCAT, and you might even do better on the MCAT that way since you'd be going in with a larger base of knowledge than if you took it in junior/senior year. The EC activities you can rack up over a gap year could also polish up your app quite a bit. That's just my advice though so make you weigh all the pros and cons and solicit advice from others as well before committing to a path. Just make sure you have a plan, be it gap year or no gap year. I knew some people who never planned ahead and it really came back to haunt them that they hadn't developed and committed themselves to a longterm plan earlier. Keep your plan flexible, however, and adjust as the need arises.

Also, be careful with how you arrange your course schedules. Make sure you have at least a few semesters where you take multiple hard, upper-level science classes so you can demonstrate to med schools that you're capable of succeeding under a heavy course load, so if that means taking Physics 2 /w Orgo 2 then go for it. That said, also take into account that you don't want to jump the gun and take a heavy course load before you're prepared for it, cuz the outcome could be bad if you go in without the proper mindset, confidence, and study habits. You know yourself best, but that's my 2 cents.

Hey man! Thank you SO much! My family has been super supportive about me becoming a doctor. However I am a first generation student so my parents have a hard time grasping the full scope of the situation.

Thank you for the advice. I think the best way to go will be to pump out those classes. Graduate. Take the MCAT. EMT/Volunteer until June 1st. Rack everything together and apply and be the best I can be.

Hi everyone! Cannot believe my first semester of junior year is completed. Grades are released tomorrow! The classes I took are:

Organic Chemistry - I
PSY 235 - Social Psychology
PSY 295: Stats
IAH 206

Will post the grades tomorrow on here for those who have invested their time & effort into me!

Keep up the good work buddy! Been in your situation before and I climbed out of it with grit and hard work. (2.3 total gpa first semester +pity+)

So guys the results are in:

Orgo I - 4.0 (HOLY $&@!)
PSY 235 - 4.0
Stats - 4.0
IAH - 4.0

My cumulative GPA is officially a 3.4 after starting off at a 2.2 my freshman. Wow this is kinda surreal, but at the same time I have A LOT of work to do. Next semester I will be tested the most with Orgo 2 and Physiology. But I just wanted to thank everyone that’s still apart of the journey and THANK YOU THANK YOH and THANK YOU for believing in me.

Time to take a little peek at my buddies Physio coursepack

OR

I think there's a good argument to be made for Option B. Taking a gap year would allow you to really focus on classes and continue that upward trend. Also, then your application would have four complete years, showing definitively that your freshman year was a fluke and really showing off that upward trend through the end of your senior year. I wouldn't rush studying for the MCAT. I think if you take your time and really destroy the MCAT, you could have a very competitive application. Still, I don't think applying straight out of school would be a horrible mistake or anything.

I think there's a good argument to be made for Option B. Taking a gap year would allow you to really focus on classes and continue that upward trend. Also, then your application would have four complete years, showing definitively that your freshman year was a fluke and really showing off that upward trend through the end of your senior year. I wouldn't rush studying for the MCAT. I think if you take your time and really destroy the MCAT, you could have a very competitive application. Still, I don't think applying straight out of school would be a horrible mistake or anything.

I definitely do NOT want to rush the MCAT as that is going to be crucial part of my application.

I’m not sure if it will help much but I’m a first generation student so it took a little time to figure out how this whole college thing.

With 14 credits next semester consisting of: Orgo 2 & Physio, I need to 4.0 both and show medical schools that I can handle rigor & I want this bad. It will be extremely tough as both classes are require a lot of time & effort.

I can, I will, I must.

With 14 credits next semester consisting of: Orgo 2 & Physio, I need to 4.0 both and show medical schools that I can handle rigor & I want this bad. It will be extremely tough as both classes are require a lot of time & effort.

I can, I will, I must.

Who will? Spartans will.

Physio, if youre taking the one I think you are (online) you'll be fine. I took it with pchem and 4.0ed super easy

Hi everyone. Not all my grades are in yet for Spring Semester 2018 but somehow..someway..

Your boy just 4.0ed Organic Chemistry II.

GOD. IS. GOOD.

Will follow up with more updates as more grades become finalized. Thank you, everyone!