Best airline credit cards and loyalty programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

onlyletters

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With all the locums that we do, I was curious if anyone has any strong opinions about the most valuable airline credit cards or loyalty programs on here. I'm currently flying nationally about once a month and it will likely increase soon to twice a month most months for personal reasons. Any thoughts?
 
Depends on your local airport and your destinations. It doesn't make any sense to load up on Alaskan miles if you can't ever go anywhere with them. OTOH, if you live and frequently travel with Southwest airlines, the companion pass is hands down one of the best benefits. Just doesn't help any for international (except the Caribbean now).
Chase Sapphire is pretty good and has no fee.
 
Depends on your local airport and your destinations. It doesn't make any sense to load up on Alaskan miles if you can't ever go anywhere with them. OTOH, if you live and frequently travel with Southwest airlines, the companion pass is hands down one of the best benefits. Just doesn't help any for international (except the Caribbean now).
Chase Sapphire is pretty good and has no fee.
Bingo. If you live near Atlanta, don't get a United card.

We've had the Capital One Venture Card for about 8 years now. It ends up getting us a free trip (airfare and hotel) about every 2-3 years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bingo. If you live near Atlanta, don't get a United card.

We've had the Capital One Venture Card for about 8 years now. It ends up getting us a free trip (airfare and hotel) about every 2-3 years.

+1 for Capital One Venture.
Mrs. Fox and I have first-class tickets between here and Rapid City as well as a handsome cabin next week... all gratis.
I promise to post pics.
 
I am probably the forum expert at this. I go on 2-3 international First Class flights a year using points. I am heading to Australia on Singapore Air First Class in October all on points.

Which credit cards airline points are more valuable than "points" or "cashback" if your goal is to redeem them for travel.

The Capital one cards are worthless for travel. Typically get 1 cent per mile redemption. With most of the other cards that give you transferrable points, they are worth 2-3 cents per mile, the trick is you just have to know how to redeem them. If you redeem for First or Business class tickets the points can be worth 10 cents or more.

Here are the cards I have:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $475 annual fee. You get 3X Chase miles on ALL dining, and 2X on travel. Points can be transferred to a dozen frequent flier programs including United Airlines. You also get a $300 travel credit per year.

American Express Platinum - $475 annual fee. Amex Centurion lounge membership is essential for any locums traveler, as they have real food, and top shelf liquor. Downside is only 1 point/$ on most purchases. Also has a $300 airline fee credit per year

American Express Blue Business - $95 annual fee. 2X points on ALL purchases. This is my go-to card for any non-travel or dining spending. Amex points like Chase can be transferred to a dozen or more frequent flier programs.

Citi Prestige card - $475 annual fee. 2X points on all travel (points also transferrable to about a dozen airline partners). The real value is the 4th night free on ANY hotel booking made through them. I've booked at hotels which cost $500-600 per night and they have refunded the cost of the 4th night. Unfortunately Citi cut off all new applications for this card last week.

Citi Premier Card - $95 annual fee. 3X points on Gasoline (as well as 2X on travel). An essential card if you are driving a lot for work as no other card gives a bonus like that for gasoline.

If you travel a lot for work you need to pick an airline with a rewarding frequent flier program. Here's my list:

1. United Airlines - Points can be used on Lufthansa, Singapore, ANA, and many other great airlines. Also easy to search for awards and book in premium cabins. Can book international First on any partner.

2. American Airlines (my program) - Points useful on British Airways, JAL, Etihad, Qantas. Not so easy to search awards and takes a lot of skill. Otherwise probably the most rewarding frequent-flier program and can book First class on partners

3. Delta - Points not worth much, and they use "dynamic pricing" so awards change value daily. Also cannot book higher than international business class.

4. Southwest - Points only useful on domestic travel. No other partners. No first class, lounges, or any other elite perks besides priority boarding


As far as hotels the most-rewarding to least are as follows:

1. Hyatt (limited footprint though)

2. Marriott/SPG - Just merged and decent program with massive international footprint

3. Hilton

4. IHG

5. All the others - don't waste your time
 
I think a critical distinction that needs to be made here is that Veers charges TRAVEL expenses (airfare, hotel, etc) on those annual free-charging cards, and then reaps the benefits.
For those of us who don't travel for locums, and just want to charge everyday expenses (groceries, gasoline, pubs) - the picture might be different.

I'm happy to be wrong, however.
 
I think a critical distinction that needs to be made here is that Veers charges TRAVEL expenses (airfare, hotel, etc) on those annual free-charging cards, and then reaps the benefits.
For those of us who don't travel for locums, and just want to charge everyday expenses (groceries, gasoline, pubs) - the picture might be different.

I'm happy to be wrong, however.

Even then using an American Express Blue and getting 2X on all purchases in miles will ALWAYs be more valuable for travel redemption than a Capital One card that gets 1-1.5 points.
 
2. Marriott/SPG - Just merged and decent program with massive international footprint

Seconded. Marriott Rewards has been great for me, plus I have their Visa card through Chase and get points when I use it. I get a free room every year, and had enough points to pay for most of my rooms on the interview trail last year. Mine's also linked to my Hertz #1 Club, so I get Marriott points for that as well.

I just got the Gold Delta SkyMiles AMEX and got lucky with the 60,000 mile bonus. I'll have to see how hard they are to use this upcoming interview season. Delta's the main option from our local airport and have a better schedule for me than United.
 
Last edited:
I will look into this AmEx Blue now. Does it matter that I have no frequent-flier programs?

Not initially, because you will get Amex points initially. You can then transfer them at your discretion to any of the participating frequent flyer programs.
Amex Transfer Partners

I find Singapore Air to be one of the most useful because their mileage redemption rates are reasonable, and you can book domestic United flights with them. You don't actually have to fly a particular airline to sign up for a frequent flier program.
 
Even then using an American Express Blue and getting 2X on all purchases in miles will ALWAYs be more valuable for travel redemption than a Capital One card that gets 1-1.5 points.

Super helpful info so far, thanks a lot. I’m going onto the EM residency interview trail in a couple months and recently applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to build up some travel points while I travel for interviews to hopefully use later. It’s the one with $95 fee per year.

Do you feel this is a good card for this purpose? I considered the Reserve card but the $450 a year fee and the fact I may not have much time to travel during residency (lol) to make use of it scared me away. any tips?
 
Super helpful info so far, thanks a lot. I’m going onto the EM residency interview trail in a couple months and recently applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card to build up some travel points while I travel for interviews to hopefully use later. It’s the one with $95 fee per year.

Do you feel this is a good card for this purpose? I considered the Reserve card but the $450 a year fee and the fact I may not have much time to travel during residency (lol) to make use of it scared me away. any tips?

The Preferred is a great starter travel card with a relatively low fee.

The Reserve is probably the best overall travel card out there. ALL dining gest you 3X points. It also gives you lounge access with Priority pass, so if you are traveling through large and medium-sized airports you can use it to get into lounges at most of them. Sure beats waiting with the crowds at the gate. The airline credit is a great perk as well. Just use the card to charge any airline fee, and you will get a yearly $300 statement credit. That brings the "actual" cost of the card down to $175/year.
 
The Preferred is a great starter travel card with a relatively low fee.

The Reserve is probably the best overall travel card out there. ALL dining gest you 3X points. It also gives you lounge access with Priority pass, so if you are traveling through large and medium-sized airports you can use it to get into lounges at most of them. Sure beats waiting with the crowds at the gate. The airline credit is a great perk as well. Just use the card to charge any airline fee, and you will get a yearly $300 statement credit. That brings the "actual" cost of the card down to $175/year.

ahhh that does sound pretty incredible. Do you think I should shoot for the Reserve instead of the Preferred? I guess I’m just concerned come intern year I won’t really be utilizing the card to it’s fullest with busier work hours so it’ll be kind of a waste. Though apparently the $300 credit can go towards anything remotely travel related (tolls, Uber, etc.), so could still be worth it.
 
ahhh that does sound pretty incredible. Do you think I should shoot for the Reserve instead of the Preferred? I guess I’m just concerned come intern year I won’t really be utilizing the card to it’s fullest with busier work hours so it’ll be kind of a waste. Though apparently the $300 credit can go towards anything remotely travel related (tolls, Uber, etc.), so could still be worth it.

The difference is about $85/year after the travel credit. Is it worth it to you to have a much better card for that amount?
 
I will say that Southwest, while not having first class, lounges, or international flights, more than makes up for it by being an awesome airline that lets my wife fly everywhere for free with me. That's the beauty of the companion pass.
I flew Singapore from Dallas to Manchester last year. It was pretty nice. AA to the Pacific is pretty damn pricey when it comes to points, but you can bargain that down with an economy fare then upgrade with points (if there's room)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will say that Southwest, while not having first class, lounges, or international flights, more than makes up for it by being an awesome airline that lets my wife fly everywhere for free with me. That's the beauty of the companion pass.
I flew Singapore from Dallas to Manchester last year. It was pretty nice. AA to the Pacific is pretty damn pricey when it comes to points, but you can bargain that down with an economy fare then upgrade with points (if there's room)

I never fly US airlines internationally if I can help it. Usually business class on foreign airlines is the same price with much better food and service. The same goes for award tickets. I collect my AA points, but usually redeem on Etihad, Qatar, or Qantas.

Also McNinja, I agree that Southwest is probably superior in economy to the others. However by flying Southwest you aren't maximizing the frequent flier program/points which was the original question. Also of note as a top-level elite on AA or United I get free food/alcoholic drinks even in economy. Southwest can't beat that, but I agree is a good choice for casual, infrequent fliers.
 
No arguments, I can learn a lot from you. Just joined AA, have the barclay card. My AA points are tough to spread around though. Maybe a detailed post on that at some point.
 
No arguments, I can learn a lot from you. Just joined AA, have the barclay card. My AA points are tough to spread around though. Maybe a detailed post on that at some point.

The airline cards generally aren't great to use except for the initial bonus. I believe the Barclaycard is 50,000 points after you hit the spend. Once you do that, don't use it. There are better cards for travel. For example the Platinum Amex Personal card will get you 5X Amex points on all airfare versus the 2X points on your barclaycard. Chase is also a decent option, as you get 2X points on travel, but they are more flexible than the AA points.
 
Well I'll let AMEX cover my global entry, and $300 in travel. 100,000 points is probably worth it. Then I'll come back to you if I'm not happy. I will kill of my Barclaycard though.
 
Well I'll let AMEX cover my global entry, and $300 in travel. 100,000 points is probably worth it. Then I'll come back to you if I'm not happy. I will kill of my Barclaycard though.

The Platinum Amex is a great card for locums travel because you get the following benefits:
- Hilton gold status
- SPG gold status
- Hertz 5-star status
- National Rental Executive Club
- Avis Preferred

The hotel status is great because it gives you a free breakfast benefit. Rental car status generally gives free 1-car upgrade. The Priority Pass membership will now get you free meals at many airports throughout the U.S. in addition the airline clubs.

When booking rental cars, always book with a Chase card because it gives you primary rental insurance. Most other cards give you only secondary. This is important, because if you are in an accident any claims go through the primary card insurance first before it dings your auto insurance.

Here is how I use my cards:

American Express Platinum Personal - Airfare purchases 5X points (regardless of airline)
Chase Sapphire Reserve - All dining 3X and rental cars 2X
Citi Thank You Premiere - Gasoline purchases 3X
Citi Prestige - Any hotel stays of 4 nights or longer (for the 4th night free benefit) 2X points
American Express Business Blue - Any other purchase 2X points
 
Even then using an American Express Blue and getting 2X on all purchases in miles will ALWAYs be more valuable for travel redemption than a Capital One card that gets 1-1.5 points.
Capital One Venture is 2X on everything.

It's basically a lazy man's card for people who don't want to do the complicated stuff you've got set up here.

The rewards aren't as good but it's easy.
 
ahhh that does sound pretty incredible. Do you think I should shoot for the Reserve instead of the Preferred? I guess I’m just concerned come intern year I won’t really be utilizing the card to it’s fullest with busier work hours so it’ll be kind of a waste. Though apparently the $300 credit can go towards anything remotely travel related (tolls, Uber, etc.), so could still be worth it.

Chase sapphire reserve also makes your point worth 50% more than straight cash, while preferred is only 25%. That plus the change from 2x to 3x on dining and travel I think more than makes up the (450 - 300) - 95 = $55 difference you'll notice between the two cards.

$300 travel credit is ANY travel - includes uber, hotels, parking, obviously anything airline related.

You also get free TSA PreCheck Or Global Entry every 4 years, meaning you get an extra 85 or 100 dollars every 4 years.

Agreed that Capital One Venture is nice for the 2x points, and I like the purchase eraser (meaning I buy the cheapest possible flight, then 'erase' it from my account) rather than being tied to a specific airline or rewards system. Again, travel includes uber, hotels, airlines, etc. Just not gasoline.

I'm currently working on the bonus for a British Airways card from Chase. 50k miles for spending $3k in first 3 months. Additional 25k miles if you hit $10k in the first year. Additional 25k miles if you hit $20k in the first year. One of the rare 100k bonus cards still out there. 95 dollar annual fee. I'll never fly British, but they auto transfer to American Airlines, and with some work can transfer to Alaska.

I will probably keep Chase Reserve and Capital One Venture forever. Amex Platinum is my next bonus card assuming I still qualify for the 100k bonus.

Lot of good info from Veers otherwise. I think getting the Reserve is investing in the future, but only you can decide if it's worth it. Capital One Venture is not an unreasonable option instead of that.
 
Chase reserve >>> amex platinum when trying to redeem points for air travel through their respective portals as you get far better value with Chase. A big perk of redeeming via the cards portal is that the airline views it as a cash ticket and so you get points for it (in addition to easy flight availability). I quickly got AA status this way. Depending on your travel habits this can be more valuable than transferring all the points to an airline directly.

Off topic but if you want cash instead of points, check out the Costco Visa -- 4% cash back on gas, 3% cash back on restaurants and travel.
 
Chase reserve >>> amex platinum when trying to redeem points for air travel through their respective portals as you get far better value with Chase. A big perk of redeeming via the cards portal is that the airline views it as a cash ticket and so you get points for it (in addition to easy flight availability). I quickly got AA status this way. Depending on your travel habits this can be more valuable than transferring all the points to an airline directly.

Off topic but if you want cash instead of points, check out the Costco Visa -- 4% cash back on gas, 3% cash back on restaurants and travel.

Redeeming for cash value on flights is no fun and a bad use of points.
Let's say I use Chase points and redeem for cash. If I have enough Chase points for a 1-way Business class on United it is 50K miles. If I use those at even 2 cents per point, that is only a $1000 value towards airfare. That's not even enough to buy a one-way business-class fare. Instead I could transfer the points to United and buy a Saver award ticket for 50K miles. A one way business class can be anwhere from $2000-$5000 depending on route. There is easily 2X to 5X point value of transferring the Chase miles to airline points. It does involve a bit of knowledge and some travel flexibility, but it's worth it. The value is even higher on International First. These tickets can be upwards of $10K one-way and cost 80K to 110K miles depending on route.
 
Redeeming for cash value on flights is no fun and a bad use of points.
Let's say I use Chase points and redeem for cash. If I have enough Chase points for a 1-way Business class on United it is 50K miles. If I use those at even 2 cents per point, that is only a $1000 value towards airfare. That's not even enough to buy a one-way business-class fare. Instead I could transfer the points to United and buy a Saver award ticket for 50K miles. A one way business class can be anwhere from $2000-$5000 depending on route. There is easily 2X to 5X point value of transferring the Chase miles to airline points. It does involve a bit of knowledge and some travel flexibility, but it's worth it. The value is even higher on International First. These tickets can be upwards of $10K one-way and cost 80K to 110K miles depending on route.

You're totally correct it's no fun and worse value than planning something out way in advance. I have to take a lot of last-minute flights and going through the CSR portal eases the pain a bit. Also, if you're going in coach it can be less points via the portal than than using points directly with the airline (ie the last time I went to Canada).

Is your upcoming SQ trip in one of their new suites? They look amaaazing.
 
Another vote for CSR and Amex Platinum. I have other cards from a long time ago that I haven't used in over a year now. I'm half-expecting the "closed due to lack of utilization" letter one of these days.

If Amex Platinum did for dining what CSR does, I'd stick with just that.

The Points Guy website is helpful also.
 
Another vote for CSR and Amex Platinum. I have other cards from a long time ago that I haven't used in over a year now. I'm half-expecting the "closed due to lack of utilization" letter one of these days.

If Amex Platinum did for dining what CSR does, I'd stick with just that.

The Points Guy website is helpful also.
They won't close any of your accounts. Now, if you have cards you're paying a fee on, go ahead and kill it yourself. But the others? Just let them sit there and exist. They don't hurt your credit rating. The best part is that you get quarterly letters from them literally begging you to use their cards. They aren't making any money off of you and they want to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They won't close any of your accounts. Now, if you have cards you're paying a fee on, go ahead and kill it yourself. But the others? Just let them sit there and exist. They don't hurt your credit rating. The best part is that you get quarterly letters from them literally begging you to use their cards. They aren't making any money off of you and they want to.

Often if you call up and threaten to cancel a card they will give you an offer to keep it open. Offers might include waiving the annual fee, or giving you an additional points bonus for spending a certain amount. It never hurts to try.
 
I use a combination like Veers, but I have medallion on Delta (and am a 45 minute flight from Atlanta) so I focus my energies there.
My "locums" efforts are a 2h drive away, so I only fly for pleasure.

My cards:
*Chase Sapphire Reserve for hotels and everyday expenses because it's easy. I don't spend enough on gas (I drive a Prius) to warrant another card.
*Amex Platinum for airfare. The hotel status is a nice perk. The airline credit is good for $200 in gift cards on Southwest, which covers a Christmas present. Per FlyerTalk, you can use all $200 at once on Southwest, apparently only $50 at a time on Delta, so it's easier and simpler. Using gift cards is how you can apply the credit towards airfare, which is a much better use than "incidentals" once you have access to lounges with Priority Pass/Centurion lounges or Delta One tickets.
*Delta Skymiles Amex Platinum for ~2 estimated tax payments to hit the $50K spend for medallion status waiver as I don't fly enough to hit the spend for the upper tiers. The companion ticket is a nice perk. (Edited to add that it's technically a 25K spend, but at 50K you get another round of MQMs)

I use miles for Delta One, which makes it possible to arrive somewhat refreshed and ready to hit the ground running when I wake up in Paris/Frankfurt/Bangkok, etc. If I can fly AirFrance, so much the better. I don't mind flying coach within the country, as we often get upgraded if I bypass ATL.
 
Last edited:
One more thing I didn't mention. United has an app called United MileagePlusX. You can use it at many restaurants and stores. You go to the restaurant or store, get your total and then using the app buy a digital gift card. Often the bonus is 10X miles. Typically Chilis is 5X and the same with Dominos. Often I will order pizza for the nurses, and it costs me around $100, but if I use the app to buy a gift card, I will get 500 United points! The nurses think I'm nuts when I explain this.....
 
Redeeming for cash value on flights is no fun and a bad use of points.
Let's say I use Chase points and redeem for cash. If I have enough Chase points for a 1-way Business class on United it is 50K miles. If I use those at even 2 cents per point, that is only a $1000 value towards airfare. That's not even enough to buy a one-way business-class fare. Instead I could transfer the points to United and buy a Saver award ticket for 50K miles. A one way business class can be anwhere from $2000-$5000 depending on route. There is easily 2X to 5X point value of transferring the Chase miles to airline points. It does involve a bit of knowledge and some travel flexibility, but it's worth it. The value is even higher on International First. These tickets can be upwards of $10K one-way and cost 80K to 110K miles depending on route.

I guess we're at different points in our careers. As a resident I will never buy a first-class ticket, and right now, I think as an attending I'd rather just fly more places economy than blow my load on first-class. Maybe my mindset will change. I've been very happy with CSR's portal for buying flights with points, and routinely find it cheaper than buying the same flight with awards points on a specific airline.
 
I guess we're at different points in our careers. As a resident I will never buy a first-class ticket, and right now, I think as an attending I'd rather just fly more places economy than blow my load on first-class. Maybe my mindset will change. I've been very happy with CSR's portal for buying flights with points, and routinely find it cheaper than buying the same flight with awards points on a specific airline.

Agreed. The CSR portal offers much better value than the Amex portal IMHO. I fly a lot. Been an attending for a few years and I still prefer to spend my cash on taking more trips rather than flying up front. If it saves me even $1000/yr on flights that I can (and I do) invest instead for the next 30 years that's ~100k. That said, we no longer skimp on eating out and we happily pay for experiences because YOLO. I get why some people want to spend for F. To each their own.
 
I guess we're at different points in our careers. As a resident I will never buy a first-class ticket, and right now, I think as an attending I'd rather just fly more places economy than blow my load on first-class. Maybe my mindset will change. I've been very happy with CSR's portal for buying flights with points, and routinely find it cheaper than buying the same flight with awards points on a specific airline.

I swore I'd never do that either. (And never even gave it a second thought as a resident.) But... things change. That, and I got upgraded transatlantic once, and damn, you don't know what you don't know.

Also, my other half is grumpy as hell when he's jetlagged. We're going to Asia next spring, and since I already had dates, I booked a year out. Got a hell of a deal, but it still stung. And then I remembered that I could just pick up 2 shifts and make up the difference. Considering it's like 26 hours each way, I deemed it worth it.

Now, if there's a coach fare sale and it's only $500 round trip to Europe, the dates work and I'm feeling it, I just add an extra day or two with minimal plans for grumpybutt to acclimate.
 
I swore I'd never do that either. (And never even gave it a second thought as a resident.) But... things change. That, and I got upgraded transatlantic once, and damn, you don't know what you don't know.

Also, my other half is grumpy as hell when he's jetlagged. We're going to Asia next spring, and since I already had dates, I booked a year out. Got a hell of a deal, but it still stung. And then I remembered that I could just pick up 2 shifts and make up the difference. Considering it's like 26 hours each way, I deemed it worth it.

Now, if there's a coach fare sale and it's only $500 round trip to Europe, the dates work and I'm feeling it, I just add an extra day or two with minimal plans for grumpybutt to acclimate.
I would say its potentially different for very long flights. First class from Atlanta to Newark? Usually not worth it.

Lie-flat seats from LAX to Munich (11 hours), that's a slightly different story.
 
Yeah, we laid flat to Rome from Dallas.
It's definitely worth it if you're flying overnight. If you're flying west back from Europe, or east back from the Pacific, just the extra room in premium economy is pretty good, since I usually don't sleep on those.
 
I would say its potentially different for very long flights. First class from Atlanta to Newark? Usually not worth it.

Lie-flat seats from LAX to Munich (11 hours), that's a slightly different story.

Not potentially different - it's a total game changer, especially for a red eye eastbound.
For the record, I wouldn't ever pay for first within the continent. Hell, I am too cheap to even upgrade to Delta Comfort. (Which basically gets you drinks, and not much else.)
 
Not potentially different - it's a total game changer, especially for a red eye eastbound.
For the record, I wouldn't ever pay for first within the continent. Hell, I am too cheap to even upgrade to Delta Comfort. (Which basically gets you drinks, and not much else.)
As a fairly tall person, the extra 3-5 inches if legroom does make a huge difference. In regular economy I can't move my knees from one side to the other without standing up.
 
Yeah I admit I'll pony up for flights ~8 hours or longer if it's an overnight. Though if you don't need a lie flat to sleep, PE on most of the international carries can be a solid compromise.
 
As a fairly tall person, the extra 3-5 inches if legroom does make a huge difference. In regular economy I can't move my knees from one side to the other without standing up.

This. If I book early enough, I get the bulkhead seat in the 1st row. The commuter jets out of our local airport have a single seat on the left, I usually try to grab that one, no neighbor and plenty of legroom

I ruined it for myself. The worst part about flying business or first, especially internationally, is that you no longer want to fly any other way.

I started when I flew to Philly for my COMLEX-PE. Kept it up through last interview season. I'll probably do it again this year as long as I can afford it.
 
Yeah I admit I'll pony up for flights ~8 hours or longer if it's an overnight. Though if you don't need a lie flat to sleep, PE on most of the international carries can be a solid compromise.
Yeah, but business to Australia is like 6K vs 1K. Ouch. That's what those miles are good for. Figure out which airline is easiest to get business on with just your miles.
 
Yeah, but business to Australia is like 6K vs 1K. Ouch. That's what those miles are good for. Figure out which airline is easiest to get business on with just your miles.

So generally about 600,000 Amex or CSR points if you book through the portal. Just transfer the CSR points to United, and if your travel days are flexible you can snag a one-way business for 50K points.

At this point I wouldn't even fly internationally if I had to go economy. I'm someone who cannot sleep in an upright seat at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So generally about 600,000 Amex or CSR points if you book through the portal. Just transfer the CSR points to United, and if your travel days are flexible you can snag a one-way business for 50K points.

At this point I wouldn't even fly internationally if I had to go economy. I'm someone who cannot sleep in an upright seat at all.
Yep. My biggest issue is that often my international trips are also "business" in that there's a conference or something. Like Fiji and Australia. So using my miles defeats the tax write off portion, as they're basically not currency.
 
Yep. My biggest issue is that often my international trips are also "business" in that there's a conference or something. Like Fiji and Australia. So using my miles defeats the tax write off portion, as they're basically not currency.

One thing you can do, is pay for the economy ticket, and use miles to upgrade. The big 3 U.S. airlines will allow you to do this.
 
So generally about 600,000 Amex or CSR points if you book through the portal. Just transfer the CSR points to United, and if your travel days are flexible you can snag a one-way business for 50K points.

At this point I wouldn't even fly internationally if I had to go economy. I'm someone who cannot sleep in an upright seat at all.
Only time I've slept on a plane was the 6 feet of exit row I had on a 747 (seriously, I'm 6'6 and I couldn't touch the row in front of me) and that still took an ambien because I can't usually sleep sitting up either.
 
One thing you can do, is pay for the economy ticket, and use miles to upgrade. The big 3 U.S. airlines will allow you to do this.
Yep. 40K and $315 to upgrade on AA. But only if you buy the ticket through them and not codeshare. Not sure about the others.
 
One thing you can do, is pay for the economy ticket, and use miles to upgrade. The big 3 U.S. airlines will allow you to do this.
Delta won't let you pay to upgrade a ticket purchased with miles, though. I think that's to what @Dr.McNinja refers, in the post above mine, unless Dr.McNinja is saying the same as you, but his order is different.