Best airline credit cards and loyalty programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Delta won't let you pay to upgrade a ticket purchased with miles, though. I think that's to what @Dr.McNinja refers, in the post above mine, unless Dr.McNinja is saying the same as you, but his order is different.

No he was referring to a miles + copay upgrade which some airlines allow.

When I travel domestically for locums work, I allow the company to book me in economy, then if the fare is reasonable I buy-up to First Class. It's not a terrible deal, as I can deduct the cost as a business expense, and I get double miles, which on a trip are typically worth about $120.
 
I’ve heard if you open up a southwest rewards plus a southwest rewards business card, that gives you 110k points and qualifies you for a companion pass.

Can anyone confirm this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’ve heard if you open up a southwest rewards plus a southwest rewards business card, that gives you 110k points and qualifies you for a companion pass.

Can anyone confirm this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been done. You have to get approved for both (not hard), and some other things. It's also not hard to just get the 60K and spend enough to get a companion pass as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No he was referring to a miles + copay upgrade which some airlines allow.

When I travel domestically for locums work, I allow the company to book me in economy, then if the fare is reasonable I buy-up to First Class. It's not a terrible deal, as I can deduct the cost as a business expense, and I get double miles, which on a trip are typically worth about $120.
He gets it.

There’s an art to the proper way to handle credit cards and frequent flyer miles. It’s actually reasonably complicated to get the best value for your money.

If I can bump an unrelated site, FlyerTalk.com has some good posts for people willing to discuss some reading.
 
I’ve heard if you open up a southwest rewards plus a southwest rewards business card, that gives you 110k points and qualifies you for a companion pass.

Can anyone confirm this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N=1 of my friends who personally did this. He recommended I open both cards in November/December of the calendar year, and plan to complete the bonuses by January. Then when you get 110k points in January, you get the companion pass for the REST of that calendar year, along with the NEXT calendar year.

I'm not in a position currently that companion pass is of immediate use, but will certainly plan for this at the appropriate time. In the mean time, not signing up for any southwest cards.
 
He gets it.

There’s an art to the proper way to handle credit cards and frequent flyer miles. It’s actually reasonably complicated to get the best value for your money.

If I can bump an unrelated site, FlyerTalk.com has some good posts for people willing to discuss some reading.

For in-depth articles I like:

onemileatatime.com

thepointsguy.com

Be fore-warned, they generally discuss maximizing credit card points for the purpose of business-class or first class international travel.
 
the points guy is my bible in regards to this stuff. Every card I've signed up for thus far has been found through his website or nerdwallet.com

But even as somebody who never flies business, I feel I've at least benefited somewhat by churning.
 
welp just got denied for the chase sapphire reserve card in the mail. i put down $61k for salary so i’m pretty confused. can i go into a Chase branch and try to get approved that way? any tips to get approved? thought >$60k would be enough
 
welp just got denied for the chase sapphire reserve card in the mail. i put down $61k for salary so i’m pretty confused. can i go into a Chase branch and try to get approved that way? any tips to get approved? thought >$60k would be enough

Chase has a quirk called 5/24. If you've opened 5 cards or more within 24 months, they won't approve you for a Chase card. Could that be the reason? If you have a chase bank account, it might be worth a try applying at a branch as your personal banker can "push it through".
 
Chase has a quirk called 5/24. If you've opened 5 cards or more within 24 months, they won't approve you for a Chase card. Could that be the reason? If you have a chase bank account, it might be worth a try applying at a branch as your personal banker can "push it through".

nope I haven’t opened any cards recently. I do have a Chase account so think i’ll try at a branch
 
welp just got denied for the chase sapphire reserve card in the mail. i put down $61k for salary so i’m pretty confused. can i go into a Chase branch and try to get approved that way? any tips to get approved? thought >$60k would be enough

You do need very, very good credit for it I believe. My salary is in that range but I had a history with chase with previous credit cards, and it was like my 5th or 6th credit card that I had opened, lifetime.
 
They wouldn't approve me online, but I figured it out when I got a next day air UPS notification. I assumed they wouldn't reject me that way. It does have one of the highest credit rating requirements. I'm in the 780s typically.
 
Apparently the inside info is that Chase is losing a ton on this card. I suspect they will close applications to it in the next year or so. If you are interested and have a good credit score, better get it now.

The same thing happend to the Citi Prestige card which closed all new applications 2 months ago.
 
You do need very, very good credit for it I believe. My salary is in that range but I had a history with chase with previous credit cards, and it was like my 5th or 6th credit card that I had opened, lifetime.

the last hard pull i got to see for my credit was 3 months ago when I got my car, and my score was around 800. so assuming that’s not it, unless I just don’t have enough history for them? really don’t know. going to check it out at my local Chase branch this week
 
the last hard pull i got to see for my credit was 3 months ago when I got my car, and my score was around 800. so assuming that’s not it, unless I just don’t have enough history for them? really don’t know. going to check it out at my local Chase branch this week

Debt to income ratio? I've seen credit card companies deny people because they felt the debt to income ratio was too high. I applied for a barclay's card and got denied for that reason, though in retrospect it was a pretty crappy card...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wait till your an attending and refinance your student loans. It caused my credit score of 610 to 760 and I was able to get my Chase sapphire reserve card.
 
The Platinum Amex is a great card for locums travel because you get the following benefits:
- Hilton gold status
- SPG gold status
- Hertz 5-star status
- National Rental Executive Club
- Avis Preferred

The hotel status is great because it gives you a free breakfast benefit. Rental car status generally gives free 1-car upgrade. The Priority Pass membership will now get you free meals at many airports throughout the U.S. in addition the airline clubs.

When booking rental cars, always book with a Chase card because it gives you primary rental insurance. Most other cards give you only secondary. This is important, because if you are in an accident any claims go through the primary card insurance first before it dings your auto insurance.

Here is how I use my cards:

American Express Platinum Personal - Airfare purchases 5X points (regardless of airline)
Chase Sapphire Reserve - All dining 3X and rental cars 2X
Citi Thank You Premiere - Gasoline purchases 3X
Citi Prestige - Any hotel stays of 4 nights or longer (for the 4th night free benefit) 2X points
American Express Business Blue - Any other purchase 2X points

What are you using for your hotel stays less then 4 days? I use the Hilton amex ascend (and previously had whatever it was before) as Hilton has such a large footprint in the US and has locations next to every locums place I have worked.
 
I typically stay at either Hyatt or Starwood/Marriott. They have much better luxury properties than Hilton. Although Hilton has a larger footprint, I want the hotel status so that I can get upgrades and free breakfast when traveling to international hotels. Asia has the most amazing hotels in the world, and typically rewards elite travelers much more than U.S. properties do. The St. Regis and Ritz Carlton brands are better IMO than Waldorf Astoria. Park Hyatt, although having a relatively small footprint globally are probably the best overall for luxury and guest experience.

I just use the CSR for less than 3 days as I will still get 3X points.
 
Debt to income ratio? I've seen credit card companies deny people because they felt the debt to income ratio was too high. I applied for a barclay's card and got denied for that reason, though in retrospect it was a pretty crappy card...

yeah this could be it now you mention it. lots of student loans as a 4th year med student. damn...
 
Yep. My biggest issue is that often my international trips are also "business" in that there's a conference or something. Like Fiji and Australia. So using my miles defeats the tax write off portion, as they're basically not currency.

Are you an independent contractor? I know one of the issues with the new tax code is that it removed the ability to write off business expenses for those of us who are employees/W-2.
 
Why not Amex and 5X?

The 5X only applies to stays booked through the Amex travel portal. If you book through a broker, generally your hotel nights don't count towards status, and you don't get elite perks like free breakfast. I usually book directly through the hotel.

The exception is the Amex "Fine Hotels and Resorts" site. If you book through that, you get all your hotel elite status, plus free breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, room upgrade, and a welcome amenity (often a $100 resort credit). The downside is you only get 1X points for doing it.
 
There's also a deal going on with Chase where you can get 60000 points for moving some funds over to a checking account:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/twocen...-can-earn-60-000-points-by-ope-1829055809/amp

Combine that with new or upgrade card bonus and you'll have a nice little trip going for you.
Fine print: account must have a minimum balance of 75k in it at all times. Must stay open at least 3 months. Interest rate on said account is 0.01%. Not a bad deal, but a decent amount of work for minimal gain when you factor in needing to hold onto that much cash that is earning effectively $0 for 3 months.
 
Fine print: account must have a minimum balance of 75k in it at all times. Must stay open at least 3 months. Interest rate on said account is 0.01%. Not a bad deal, but a decent amount of work for minimal gain when you factor in needing to hold onto that much cash that is earning effectively $0 for 3 months.

It's actually a great deal. 60,000 Chase points are worth approximately $1200. Fidelity used to have a deal whereby if you put $100K into an account and kept it there for 9 months you would get 50K airline points. This Chase deal is spectacular in comparsion.

I also use a BankDirect account. They give you 100 AA miles every month per $1000 in deposits, and it maxes out at 50K. That means I get 5000 AA per month which isn't bad. 60,000 AA points are worth about $2000. The best interest rate right now for a regular savings account is 1.80% which would only get you $900 on a 50K deposit AND and you have to pay income tax of 37% on it.
 
Officially received my Chase sapphire reserve in the mail, super excited!

Just to make sure I understand everything I need to do... I need to spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of activations to receive the points, correct? Then the annual $300 travel credit is auto reimbursed to your account if they detect anything they count as travel? Any other important stuff to keep in mind for the first few months?

Thanks to all. you’ve all been super helpful with this
 
There's some Chase Ink reward for 80k right now, but I doubt I can get it 1 month after getting a CSR.
 
Officially received my Chase sapphire reserve in the mail, super excited!

Just to make sure I understand everything I need to do... I need to spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of activations to receive the points, correct? Then the annual $300 travel credit is auto reimbursed to your account if they detect anything they count as travel? Any other important stuff to keep in mind for the first few months?

Thanks to all. you’ve all been super helpful with this
The travel stuff is automatic. Airfare, Uber, hotel whatever. You will see a charge for say, Uber for 13 bucks, then see a travel credit for 13 bucks on the same statement. This continues until you hit $300. I would check to make sure that it is not done by calendar year because if so you need to make sure you spend that $300 this year.
 
I am probably the forum expert at this. I go on 2-3 international First Class flights a year using points. I am heading to Australia on Singapore Air First Class in October all on points.

Which credit cards airline points are more valuable than "points" or "cashback" if your goal is to redeem them for travel.

The Capital one cards are worthless for travel. Typically get 1 cent per mile redemption. With most of the other cards that give you transferrable points, they are worth 2-3 cents per mile, the trick is you just have to know how to redeem them. If you redeem for First or Business class tickets the points can be worth 10 cents or more.

Here are the cards I have:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $475 annual fee. You get 3X Chase miles on ALL dining, and 2X on travel. Points can be transferred to a dozen frequent flier programs including United Airlines. You also get a $300 travel credit per year.

American Express Platinum - $475 annual fee. Amex Centurion lounge membership is essential for any locums traveler, as they have real food, and top shelf liquor. Downside is only 1 point/$ on most purchases. Also has a $300 airline fee credit per year

American Express Blue Business - $95 annual fee. 2X points on ALL purchases. This is my go-to card for any non-travel or dining spending. Amex points like Chase can be transferred to a dozen or more frequent flier programs.

Citi Prestige card - $475 annual fee. 2X points on all travel (points also transferrable to about a dozen airline partners). The real value is the 4th night free on ANY hotel booking made through them. I've booked at hotels which cost $500-600 per night and they have refunded the cost of the 4th night. Unfortunately Citi cut off all new applications for this card last week.

Citi Premier Card - $95 annual fee. 3X points on Gasoline (as well as 2X on travel). An essential card if you are driving a lot for work as no other card gives a bonus like that for gasoline.

If you travel a lot for work you need to pick an airline with a rewarding frequent flier program. Here's my list:

1. United Airlines - Points can be used on Lufthansa, Singapore, ANA, and many other great airlines. Also easy to search for awards and book in premium cabins. Can book international First on any partner.

2. American Airlines (my program) - Points useful on British Airways, JAL, Etihad, Qantas. Not so easy to search awards and takes a lot of skill. Otherwise probably the most rewarding frequent-flier program and can book First class on partners

3. Delta - Points not worth much, and they use "dynamic pricing" so awards change value daily. Also cannot book higher than international business class.

4. Southwest - Points only useful on domestic travel. No other partners. No first class, lounges, or any other elite perks besides priority boarding


As far as hotels the most-rewarding to least are as follows:

1. Hyatt (limited footprint though)

2. Marriott/SPG - Just merged and decent program with massive international footprint

3. Hilton

4. IHG

5. All the others - don't waste your time

Capital one venture is a straight 2 miles per dollar purchased, which you can use at for any airline or hotel. Good all around card.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's a great card option for people who don't travel. 2X points are always more valuable than 2% cash back as far as travel goes.
I've been enjoying the 10x points for any hotels booked through hotels.com of late.

A long weekend in Richmond and a long weekend visiting my in-laws have earned me 20,000 points
 
I've been enjoying the 10x points for any hotels booked through hotels.com of late.

A long weekend in Richmond and a long weekend visiting my in-laws have earned me 20,000 points

Agreed. Any hotels will be going through my capital one as long as this 10x points exists. And it combos with hotels.com buy 10, get 1 night free.

I think Capital one is fine if you're looking to book economic flights, and not ball out on first class/business. I haven't seen any convincing evidence to the contrary. Of course, CSR is better, but a lot of people can't stomach a yearly $450 fee (even if they get $300 of it back automatically with travel expenses).

The downside is that now they're removing the 3x points on those $300 of expenses.
 
Agreed. Any hotels will be going through my capital one as long as this 10x points exists. And it combos with hotels.com buy 10, get 1 night free.

I think Capital one is fine if you're looking to book economic flights, and not ball out on first class/business. I haven't seen any convincing evidence to the contrary. Of course, CSR is better, but a lot of people can't stomach a yearly $450 fee (even if they get $300 of it back automatically with travel expenses).

The downside is that now they're removing the 3x points on those $300 of expenses.
Its good through January 31st 2020
 
Ok, so I just got my chase sapphire reserve card. The brochure says it'll give me access to priority pass select airport lounges. Fine print says you may need to use your priority pass card to access the lounge. I activated the benefit online. Are they going to mail me a priority pass card?
 
Ok, so I just got my chase sapphire reserve card. The brochure says it'll give me access to priority pass select airport lounges. Fine print says you may need to use your priority pass card to access the lounge. I activated the benefit online. Are they going to mail me a priority pass card?

Yes. It'll be a black card. Doesn't do jack at United though, which is the main lounge I routinely see during my travels.
 
I used to swear by Delta until they started shaking things up circa 2010/2011. I've been very happy with American Airlines.

I am aware there is some ultra-exclusive card that you can convert dollars into 5x points and then use those points on most airlines / hotels. I can't remember the card though, and it requires perfect credit for eligibility.

A goal for when I am finished with residency - maybe my credit won't be trash by then. Also if I match. Also I hope I match. lol
 
Ok, so I just got my chase sapphire reserve card. The brochure says it'll give me access to priority pass select airport lounges. Fine print says you may need to use your priority pass card to access the lounge. I activated the benefit online. Are they going to mail me a priority pass card?

Once you sign up for priority pass, download the Priority Pass app to your phone. When you log in, it will show you a digital card you can have scanned at any lounge in their network. It has a handy search feature that allows you to find PP lounges at any airport.

A new great feature of PP is that they are doing restaurants a number of airports (like LAX or SFO) where you can show your PP card and get $28 per person free credit.
 
A new great feature of PP is that they are doing restaurants a number of airports (like LAX or SFO) where you can show your PP card and get $28 per person free credit.

Used it at airport restaurants twice recently. In my experience the restaurant credit is generally much more valuable than what most PP lounges have to offer.
 
WHich level of priority pass do you get? Standard, standard plus, prestige, or some other unique to the CSR card?

(Basically, do you pay for lounge visits or do you have a certain number free or do you have unlimited free?)
 
Once you sign up for priority pass, download the Priority Pass app to your phone. When you log in, it will show you a digital card you can have scanned at any lounge in their network. It has a handy search feature that allows you to find PP lounges at any airport.

A new great feature of PP is that they are doing restaurants a number of airports (like LAX or SFO) where you can show your PP card and get $28 per person free credit.

Whoa. Had no idea about the second line. I'll have to do some searching for that. Thanks for the tip. If I could get free food/drinks that'd be awesome. So far my usage of priority pass has been quite underwhelming as most of my flights have been United.

EDIT - So checked on Priority Pass website. Terminal 2, 4, and 6 are where the stuff is (either lounges or $28-30 off per person, up to 2 people). 4 and 6 are American and Alaska, respectively. 2 is part of Delta and Virgin (but they got bought out by Alaska so they're all in 6) plus some other smaller stuff. I usually don't fly out of or into any of those gates, but great if you're flying out of LAX with those airlines (primarily American/Alaska)

For those who want to see what their options are (at LAX at least): Lounge Search | Priority Pass

I see, thanks. So united lounges are not priority pass, then?

Correct, there's essentially no benefit of it, you'd have to pay to get in. I believe one time a while ago I was told there was some discount to priority pass members but it was still upwards of a hundred dollars (or more) to go into the lounge.
 
Last edited:
WHich level of priority pass do you get? Standard, standard plus, prestige, or some other unique to the CSR card?

(Basically, do you pay for lounge visits or do you have a certain number free or do you have unlimited free?)

This is what I found on the points guy blog:

Here are the cards that you can currently apply for and get Priority Pass Select membership. Note that this list doesn’t include cards that are no longer available to new applicants, or are invitation-only.

Chase Sapphire Reserve — This wildly popular card travel offers a Priority Pass Select membership. Originally, the Priority Pass Select benefit offered an unlimited number of guests for free. But starting on August 26, 2018, you will only receive free access for up to two guests. New applicants can currently receive a 50,000-point bonus after spending $4,000 within three months of account opening. There’s a $450 annual fee for this card, and each additional authorized user costs $75 per year (authorized users receive a Priority Pass Select membership of their own).


Everything You Need to Know About the Priority Pass Program

So it looks like it is unlimited visits, just restricted to you and a guest. But if you have an authorized user on your card (like your wife), it would be you and a guest for both of you! Seems like a nice perk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With all the locums that we do, I was curious if anyone has any strong opinions about the most valuable airline credit cards or loyalty programs on here. I'm currently flying nationally about once a month and it will likely increase soon to twice a month most months for personal reasons. Any thoughts?

I've always flown Delta for my locums gigs because their on time performance is much better than the competition. The AMEX Delta card is ok.
 
Just got my CSR card, thanks all for the guidance.

A bonus I don't recall reading about: trip insurance up to $10k and $100k in emergency evacuation insurance. For a crowd that tends to love high-risk activities in remote locations and trips that are frequently subject to weather, this seems like an awesome benefit.