Best and worst aspects of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peach4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

What do you think are the positive and negative aspects of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

The best for me was the realization that im going somewhere in life (hope its not an artificial reality :p).
Worst i dunno, i have a sense its coming any time soon ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I can give you my perspective. For me, I absolutely love being in medschool. It really is a great experience as you are learning to do things that can really make a difference in someone's life plus the material you learn (although vast) is very cool. I must admit it is a drainer on time. Alot of my undergrad friends live in the area (Boston), so sometime I can't go out as much. Most would say time is a major issue. If you are good at balancing your time, you will find that you can take friday and sat night off ( which I do). Sometimes you may have to put in a weekend day if you have alot the next week. Other then that, I think the worse aspect for me is MONEY. I worked for a year before coming to school, and I love to spend. Buying food and cool electronic stuff. I obviously can't do it here. I think that has been the toughest part for me, controlliing myself not to eat out as much. Aside from that, the pros definitely outwieght the cons. To me it is the location in Boston that really makes it a place. When people say location is key, it really is. It makes the experience in school so much better.

Best: Understanding disease processes, their effects on people and seeing them in real specimens.

Worst: Dealing with all the politcally correct bs that comes with the job ;O

Pros: The feeling that you are may make a difference. Personal pride....doing something with my life. For me....getting to be a professional in a field that I'm absolutely fascinated with (psychiatry). Potential of future financial stability.

Cons: Little free time or money while being in your 20s (if you a traditional student). Watching your college friends buy cars, homes, going out, etc. Hoop jumping...

Pros: Becoming pretty close with your entire class because you'll spend 4 years doing everything together. Even the people that I'm not really friends with right now, if you stuck us in the lounge or if we ran into each other somewhere, we could talk about a lot of stuff. And the people you eventually come to hate, well, only in med school could you spend so much time with someone that you can hate them that bad. ;) Learning all kinds of meaningful stuff, feeling like you're going to make a diff someday....etc

Cons: Learning all kinds of stuff you don't care about, having to get up early EVERYDAY without a break, having to study when it is nice outside and birds are chirping and kids are playing, not having the money to buy every article of clothing I want to buy when I want to buy it (yes, i have a problem).

Thanks for your responses.

I'm entering med school this fall and want to you how do you handle stress?

Originally posted by peach4me
Thanks for your responses.

I'm entering med school this fall and want to you how do you handle stress?

I am the biggest couch potato. I watch so much tv, it is ridiculous. Basically, i quit studying by evening, usually 6:30ish because seinfeld comes on then, and I spend the rest of the evening watching tv, LOL. I'm sure this helps a lot because I don't really feel much stress most of the time. I'm also good at time management so I know how long I can put something off before it creates a problem. Other people in class go out and drink, or workout, or play video games, or shop, etc. You basically find yourself doing the same things you always did before. I don't really think my life is THAT much different than before, besides the fact that I study more often and tired more often than not. But hey, that's life.

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
Cons: ....having to study when it is nice outside and birds are chirping...

Ain't that the truth. It's always so beautiful outside the day before an exam, when I'm forced to camp out in a library. Then, when I get out of a test, it usually is rainy and dreary (like right now). Man this sucks! :mad: ;)

Pro: Being around of the most talented and intelligent ppl I have ever known. Never had so much respect and admiration for so many of my classmates.

Con: Being around the most talented and intelligent ppl I have ever known. Yah..sometimes I like to feel like I'm special. haha. Or as we were told during the first orientation speech by our dean. "look around you. You are all overachievers..used to being the top of everything you do. Some of you will be average...and half of you all will be below that average. It'll be tough to take..but that doesn't make you any less of a student/doctor". Oh, what a transition it is :)

The Pros:

The worst day of medical school is better then the best day of a real job.

My first higher education experience where I am treated like an adult and expected to meet a high standard.

The Cons:

Being poor. Living from borrowed paycheck to paycheck.

Originally posted by Goya
Pro: Being around of the most talented and intelligent ppl I have ever known. Never had so much respect and admiration for so many of my classmates.
I couldn't agree more. My classmates are dope!

Originally posted by Goya
Or as we were told during the first orientation speech by our dean. "look around you. You are all overachievers..used to being the top of everything you do. Some of you will be average...and half of you all will be below that average. It'll be tough to take..but that doesn't make you any less of a student/doctor

We had the same boring speech in our orientation. Does this speech get handed down to every medical school in the country or what? What a reality check it has been!;)

Originally posted by CANES2006
We had the same boring speech in our orientation. Does this speech get handed down to every medical school in the country or what? What a reality check it has been!;)

Man, we had that speech too. The famous "teamwork" speech that also includes something like "unless you learn to work in a study group you will fail out."

First of all, while I am no gunner, I would rather have lemon juice poured in my paper cuts then study in a group. And I am doing fine. Teamwork is fine, but it is overrated in the first two years of medical school. I'll let you know how important it is in three months when we start rotations.

Second, I have never been an overacheiver and was never at the top of my class so I feel quite comfortable down here in the average to below average range with the rest of the ******s, jibbering idiots, and booger eating *****s. Class rank is overrated as a measure of intelligence. The girl at the top of our class studies seven hours a day, writes summaries of her notes, compiles summaries of the summaries, and highlights key words in the textbooks that I haven't even bought.

Don't flame me. I am not criticising this girl. Just pointing out that some of us have made a decision to relax a little, not obsess about grades, and we still manage to learn what is necessary.

I feel like a real gunner if I manage to study three consecutive hours without checking this forum, reading my email, giving up and bagging it for the day. (I studied a lot more as a first year, of course. I think by second year you develop an instinct for what's important and what's not.)

One thing I dislike about medical school is the political correctness that has managed to leak into the curriculum. Yes, even here in Louisiana! I can only imagine what kind of sensitivity training regimines you undergo at places like Harvard or Tufts. You got to understand that I am a very conservative, Republican, Orthodox Christian and I find some of the attempted indoctrination to be both morally, politically, and culturally offensive.

Fortunantly my school is fairly conservative so we have a large group of people who slap down the occasional professor who tries to inject his left-wing politics into a lecture.

Don't flame me. I'm not trying to impose my morality on anybody. And I think we can all agree that it is important to be non-judgemental when dealing with a patient. I just don't appreciate the attempt to impose somebody else's morality on me.

Originally posted by Panda Bear
Man, we had that speech too. The famous "teamwork" speech that also includes something like "unless you learn to work in a study group you will fail out."

First of all, while I am no gunner, I would rather have lemon juice poured in my paper cuts then study in a group. And I am doing fine. Teamwork is fine, but it is overrated in the first two years of medical school. I'll let you know how important it is in three months when we start rotations.

Second, I have never been an overacheiver and was never at the top of my class so I feel quite comfortable down here in the average to below average range with the rest of the ******s, jibbering idiots, and booger eating *****s. Class rank is overrated as a measure of intelligence. The girl at the top of our class studies seven hours a day, writes summaries of her notes, compiles summaries of the summaries, and highlights key words in the textbooks that I haven't even bought.

Don't flame me. I am not criticising this girl. Just pointing out that some of us have made a decision to relax a little, not obsess about grades, and we still manage to learn what is necessary.

I feel like a real gunner if I manage to study three consecutive hours without checking this forum, reading my email, giving up and bagging it for the day. (I studied a lot more as a first year, of course. I think by second year you develop an instinct for what's important and what's not.)

One thing I dislike about medical school is the political correctness that has managed to leak into the curriculum. Yes, even here in Louisiana! I can only imagine what kind of sensitivity training regimines you undergo at places like Harvard or Tufts. You got to understand that I am a very conservative, Republican, Orthodox Christian and I find some of the attempted indoctrination to be both morally, politically, and culturally offensive.

Fortunantly my school is fairly conservative so we have a large group of people who slap down the occasional professor who tries to inject his left-wing politics into a lecture.

Don't flame me. I'm not trying to impose my morality on anybody. And I think we can all agree that it is important to be non-judgemental when dealing with a patient. I just don't appreciate the attempt to impose somebody else's morality on me.

I don't feel that Tufts is any more politically correct than any other school I've been too.. We have a conservative Mormon fellow in our class and he has not spontaneously decombusted or become enraged at professors to my knowledge..;) (in fact he has done some amazing volunteer work all over the world and is in the MPH program).. And I know that I shudder at the idea of living in and going to school in Shreveport, LA. you have your opinions and I have mine. Also, I am just as proud to be a liberal who attends an awesome school full of diverse, awesome students from everywhere as you are to be a religious conservative at a more localized med school. That is why the old USA is so great, freedom of religion and speech.. Anyway, I suggest that we end this political debate and allow the discussion to continue about med school; cause frankly I think people on this thread could care less about my political views or yours. Carry on folks! p.s. if anyone wants to flame me over this post or debate political issues, please start another thread out of courtesy to others.. p.p.s. Boston is an awesome city, if I had to do things over again I would still have come here without question. peace

Originally posted by irlandesa
I don't feel that Tufts is any more politically correct than any other school I've been too.. We have a conservative Mormon fellow in our class and he has not spontaneously decombusted or become enraged at professors to my knowledge..;) (in fact he has done some amazing volunteer work all over the world and is in the MPH program).. And I know that I shudder at the idea of living in and going to school in Shreveport, LA. you have your opinions and I have mine. Also, I am just as proud to be a liberal who attends an awesome school full of diverse, awesome students from everywhere as you are to be a religious conservative at a more localized med school. That is why the old USA is so great, freedom of religion and speech.. Anyway, I suggest that we end this political debate and allow the discussion to continue about med school; cause frankly I think people on this thread could care less about my political views or yours. Carry on folks! p.s. if anyone wants to flame me over this post or debate political issues, please start another thread out of courtesy to others.. p.p.s. Boston is an awesome city, if I had to do things over again I would still have come here without question. peace

You are so judgemental.