US News Best Medical Schools 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How quickly until this thread turns into a bash of NYU?

Reactions: 4 users
Stanford no longer a top 5 medical school. lulz.

But seriously, how is NYU gaming the system so well?
The sad thing is there are students / incoming students at Stanford who are probably genuinely upset by this too hahaha

The sad thing is there are students / incoming students at Stanford who are probably genuinely upset by this too hahaha
Lol just look at their match lists and they'll be reassured. Really match lists are what matter anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
For a professional doctorate, not a research doctorate, why should most prospective students care at all about a research ranking? There is no coherent rationale for the methodology of this ranking.

Reactions: 2 users
For a professional doctorate, not a research doctorate, why should most prospective students care at all about a research ranking? There is no coherent rationale for the methodology of this ranking.
Because that’s the only ranking that “looks” right to them and appeals to their biases.

It helps with residency matching

I would argue that, if anything US News puts out matters, the residency director ratings are much more important for residency matching. Not the rankings listed in this thread.

For example, Stanford may have dropped here (which by itself should make you question them), I highly doubt their residency director scores changed at all.

Lol just look at their match lists and they'll be reassured. Really match lists are what matter anyway.
That doesn't stop Type A gunner med students who want to say they go to a T5 tbh.

Obviously this changes /nothing/ about their institution, its prestige, its output, etc., but med students will be med students.

Does anybody have the PD survey ratings that are an (arguably too small) input to the US News rankings?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would argue that, if anything US News puts out matters, the residency director ratings are much more important for residency matching. Not the rankings listed in this thread.

For example, Stanford may have dropped here (which by itself should make you question them), I highly doubt their residency director scores changed at all.

I agree. Still gonna be a correlation between the top say 25 ish schools and top pd rankings I suspect

Disagree. When it comes to residency matching everyone knows what the top programs are and it’s not like being #3 vs #12 translates to higher match potential. Maybe #8 vs. #90 but you don’t need these yearly rankings for that.

I speculate NYU rankings have something to do with recent fundings and free tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody have the PD survey ratings that are an (arguably too small) input to the US News rankings?

EDIT: I had no idea this would post the whole list, if anyone can tell me how to minimize this that would be helpful.

They usually get posted on Reddit sometime around when the rankings are released. Haven't seen this year yet, but here is last year:

That doesn't stop Type A gunner med students who want to say they go to a T5 tbh.

Obviously this changes /nothing/ about their institution, its prestige, its output, etc., but med students will be med students.
Sure, but that type of gunner also cares about reputation and prestige, which is not the same as USNWR ranking. So a "T5" by their definition would not necessarily be a "T5" in any particular year's USNWR ranking.

They usually get posted on Reddit sometime around when the rankings are released. Haven't seen this year yet, but here is last year:
Not against you personally but the PD ranking is utterly useless without context as to which PDs and which specialties. What medical students should care about are the PD rankings for their intended specialty, which can vary widely from an "overall" PD score. Unfortunately, I don't believe that data is available.

Reactions: 2 users
Not against you personally but the PD ranking is utterly useless without context as to which PDs and which specialties. What medical students should care about are the PD rankings for their intended specialty, which can vary widely from an "overall" PD score. Unfortunately, I don't believe that data is available.

I would agree for the most part. I was just pointing out that PD rankings, even if generalized, would be way more useful than the rankings of the entire school that US News puts out.

I think prospective students should take note where the USNWR overall ranking is discordant from the PD ratings. For instance, WashU is definitely more highly regarded than Yale or Mt Sinai by residency programs despite being being lower in the published rankings.

EDIT: I had no idea this would post the whole list, if anyone can tell me how to minimize this that would be helpful.

Interesting - it seems the school with the biggest discrepancy honestly then is Hofstra

I think prospective students should take note where the USNWR overall ranking is discordant from the PD ratings. For instance, WashU is definitely more highly regarded than Yale or Mt Sinai by residency programs despite being being lower in the published rankings.
Why even take USNWR rankings into account in the first place? The only thing that matters is PD ratings.

I've never understood why this list is done this way, tbh. It adds PD ratings for research and primary care, but compares them solely to US News research rankings.

If the goal is to make a point about PD thoughts vs US News in a particular area, there should be a list that compares PD research ratings to US News research rankings and another list that compares PD primary care ratings to US News primary care rankings. The way this is done makes literally no sense and I'm not sure why more people haven't pointed out this glaring issue.

To be clear, I know the person who posted it here didn't make the list lol. Just trying to figure out why so many people think combining research with primary care is useful or valid when comparing to discrepancies in the US News research rankings.

Drexel not in the top 10? This list is invalid.
Honestly surprised Drexel isn't higher tbh. This isn't sarcasm either.

Their average Step is pretty high, and they seem to match quite well. The latter could be a function of their class size, though.

They lost they’re main teaching hospital…that’s a pretty big blow.

Of course, but I don't see how that necessarily impacts the quality of their students. They still rotate at predominately teaching hospitals, they just don't have the benefit of having their own home residency programs.

Jefferson and Temple overshadow them pretty severely tbh
And rightfully so, especially Jefferson. Just I wouldn't be surprised if the gap between Temple and Drexel was much less than it currently is portrayed as being.

Of course, but I don't see how that necessarily impacts the quality of their students. They still rotate at predominately teaching hospitals, they just don't have the benefit of having their own home residency programs.

Hey I graduated from there if you think it’s underrated I won’t disagree!

Hey I graduated from there if you think it’s underrated I won’t disagree!
Hahaha, I just think Drexel produces better students than the flack Drexel gets on forums. I'm Philly-based, and I've had the pleasure of working with UPenn, Jeff, Temple, and Drexel students.

Though I guess we have the LCME for a reason. "Top" or "Bottom" ranked med schools will still produce mighty fine doctors.

And rightfully so, especially Jefferson. Just I wouldn't be surprised if the gap between Temple and Drexel was much less than it currently is portrayed as being.
A lot of good Drexel faculty switched over to Jefferson and Temple after Hahnemann collapse. The student quality may be good but tbh, I think i’d say that for any US MD students.

A lot of good Drexel faculty switched over to Jefferson and Temple after Hahnemann collapse. The student quality may be good but tbh, I think i’d say that for any US MD students.
That's fair enough.

I don't keep up too much with what they're doing, but I know they're moving their main Philly campus to University City. With that placement, if they can secure better, more secure, relationships with other hospital systems down the line I could see Drexel on the up and up over the next decade.

Again, "more highly regarded... by residency programs" is a meaningless term without understanding what those residency programs are. It's like saying Macs are highly regarded by computer users. You'd care if those "users" were predominantly Mac users in the first place, wouldn't you? You should want to know what the distribution of residency program directors are across specialties.

Even if you had that information, you would get discordant results if you divided up PDs by specialty. A school that is highly regarded in one specialty may be lowly regarded in another. This effect gets larger as the field gets smaller.

Why even take USNWR rankings into account in the first place? The only thing that matters is PD ratings.
Neither should be taken into account unless you know that the PDs are all from a certain specialty and you're going into that specialty. Someone going into neurosurgery shouldn't care what IM PDs think about their school.

Not having your own home residency program is a huge issue, especially for matching into competitive specialties. You might have the same quality student but not having a home program makes it much harder to match into those competitive specialties.

Neither should be taken into account unless you know that the PDs are all from a certain specialty and you're going into that specialty. Someone going into neurosurgery shouldn't care what IM PDs think about their school.
Yes i’m talking about specialty-specific PD ratings although general PD ratings are still more useful than USNWR rankings.

Every year this happens, I get reminded of when I was a child trying to rank "the best dinosaurs" for my top ten spots. T-rex was always #1, although if Godzilla were real, that would have been #1. Stegosaurus and Triceratops were always underrated ranking around 5-6. And being a herbivore always knocks them down a couple of ranks.

As people read the above, I hope people realize that these rankings are even more ridiculous than my dinosaur rankings

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Every year this happens, I get reminded of when I was a child trying to rank "the best dinosaurs" for my top ten spots. T-rex was always #1, although if Godzilla were real, that would have been #1. Stegosaurus and Triceratops were always underrated ranking around 5-6. And being a herbivore always knocks them down a couple of ranks.

As people read the above, I hope people realize that these rankings are even more ridiculous than my dinosaur rankings
I think the dino rankings are actually quite logical....

How about, GASP -- I know this is a shock to some of you....but how about the idea that NYU is just actually a great school and isn't gaming the system?

How about, GASP -- I know this is a shock to some of you....but how about the idea that NYU is just actually a great school and isn't gaming the system?
Because that's not how these rankings work.

• Haha
Because that's not how these rankings work.
I mean it is folly to take these rankings as anything more than a drunk man's dart throw at 2am in a dingy bar in the lower east side. Who cares if NYU is #2 or #10? It is still a top school and getting your (metaphorical you) knickers in a bunch about them being at #2 is high key wild.

I mean it is folly to take these rankings as anything more than a drunk man's dart throw at 2am in a dingy bar in the lower east side. Who cares if NYU is #2 or #10? It is still a top school and getting your (metaphorical you) knickers in a bunch about them being at #2 is high key wild.
In the meantime, NYU kids, like you, love the school being ranked second only to HMS lmao.

LOL, it took you no time at all to start the hating....

NYU is gaming the system. This is fact. Everyone knows this. If you honestly believe NYU is at the same caliber as Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, and JHU, I want what you're smoking (along with smoking cessation counseling once I get addicted)

• Haha
In the meantime, NYU kids, like you, love the school being ranked second only to HMS lmao.
Believe it or not, most students went because they liked the school and liked the financial aspect of attending. No one thinks in terms of USNWR other than people (with bones to pick) on SDN.