Best careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is currently the best occupation?

• Pharmacist

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Physician Assistant

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Nurse

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Physician

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Truck driver

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Software engineer / software developer / computer programmer

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Engineer (any discipline)

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Business / finance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you think is currently the best occupation? Some factors to take into consideration:
  • Take home pay (after taxes, student loans, and other expenses)
  • Job satisfaction
  • Personal risk (malpractice lawsuits, risk of personal injury, etc.)
  • Job demand/security
  • Prestige

Members don't see this ad.

i'd rather do anything than pharmacy right now. of all the factors you listed, personally i only think the pay is DECENT. for now.it doesnt have any of the other factors though.

Reactions: 1 user
Only 10 votes so far, but not a single one for pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad :)
barber :)

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely something to do with computers.

I vote software engineer/developer primarily because they can earn a six-figure salary right out of undergrad (or even without a degree), whereas you would have to spend an additional 4 years and $200k+ student loans to earn about the same (maybe a little more) in pharmacy. There is a shortage of software engineers/developers; their unemployment rate is about 2.2%. They also get better benefits with less stress and personal risk. The software engineers I know seem quite happy with their careers.

During undergrad, the most flexible degree has got to be engineering:

Provided one puts forth the honest effort, there are PLENTY of avenues the student can pursue. For example: while the electrical engineering job growth outlook sucks, these particular grads will be highly sought after by finance companies, industries outside of electrical engineering, even law schools will provide generous, if not, full scholarship provided their LSAT is excellent. Engineering is absolutely dynamic and the skills gained during the education will be priceless when navigating problems of any sort.

Let's switch gears to biology now. Let's be real, 99% of these people are pre-health. There will be the few that make it to medicine, PA, dentistry that have evolved tremendously due to its compatibility with technology and engineering. Let's look at pharmacy now: can someone explain how much we can do with verifying, dispensing, and counseling? Perhaps one pharmacist per store will be on staff to answer questions, but will companies REALLY pay them $100K to do such a thing? And what about the other unemployed pharmacists? Their skills really don't translate well to other fields, quite honestly. We are expected to get through with rote-memorization, and regurgitation of fancy verbatim. When corporations figure out the pharmacist's role is a high-expensed commodity, the majority of us are going to be in major trouble.

Ways around this if you are stuck in pharmacy school?
1. Learn another language. Find your desirable location of employment, research the demographic's nationality breakdown , and purchase Rosetta Stone. If this means more customers and scripts, employers will take you on board. Your job will still suck.
2. Get that pharmacy informatics residency, which is found in PGY-2. Positions are FEW, but supposedly this is a growing field. You better stand out of the 100+ applications.
3. Go to PA school, another 3 year commitment, but at least you'll be unique and marketable.
4. When your other options don't pan out, pray really hard and hope a miracle can bail you out of the inevitable mess.

Reactions: 2 users
Any of the above except pharmacy. Especially because amount of loans >>> salary.

Anything to do with software/IT. I wouldn't consider our profession, where you can easily break 100k in loans and have uncertain job prospects, to be the best especially when you have academia saying that after our 4 years of schooling will be full of unicorns and rainbows and butterflies. That makes me sick to my stomach.

Other fields have rebounded as the economy picks up pace, whereas growth in pharmacy remains anemic and becomes more saturated each year with 3-4x the number of new graduates for every job opening.

Other fields have rebounded as the economy picks up pace, whereas growth in pharmacy remains anemic and becomes more saturated each year with 3-4x the number of new graduates for every job opening.

Nothing to worry about... those unemployed pharmacists can band together and start some pharm schools and they will do even better than looking for jobs in pharmacy... there are more than enough supply of the GPA/PCAT-is-meaningless-and-experience-counts-for-everything pre-pharmers with 2.0s and 10-20s PCAT who will happily to pay 30K+ to go pharm schools. This is just better business !! :)

My fiance is 4 years younger than me [mid 30's], has over 300K squirreled away in investments, and owns her own 600-700K house. She makes nearly 180K a year, and works from home with her kitty cat keeping her feet warm.

Her higher ed consisted of 4 years of undergrad, software engineering.

My pharmacist situation is, shall we say, slightly different. . ..

Reactions: 3 users
Plumber and the Doctor joke about declining reimbursements and high debt loads
http://www.theplumbinginfo.com/joke-plumber-doctor/

A pipe burst in a doctor’s house. He called a plumber. The plumber arrived, unpacked his tools, did mysterious plumber-type things for a while, and handed the doctor a bill for $600.

The doctor exclaimed, “This is ridiculous! I don’t even make that much as a doctor!”

The plumber waited for him to finish and quietly said, “Neither did I when I was a doctor.”

Reactions: 2 users
Cardiac Perfusionist
Anesthesiologist Assistant

Both make 6 figures starting salary with M.S. or even B.S degree