Best Carry-on Luggage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlepurplepil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm not willing leave my suit in the hands of the baggage-claim gods, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good carry-ons, preferably with a suiter. What size is reasonable for say a 1-week stay? 22"? 24"?

Also, how are people going to deal with the no-liquids rules? Check a tiny bag with toiletries? Check a larger bag with clothes and have a small carry-on suiter? Dang the terrorists for making interview traveling even more difficult! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Since I'm not willing leave my suit in the hands of the baggage-claim gods, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good carry-ons, preferably with a suiter. What size is reasonable for say a 1-week stay? 22"? 24"?

Also, how are people going to deal with the no-liquids rules? Check a tiny bag with toiletries? Check a larger bag with clothes and have a small carry-on suiter? Dang the terrorists for making interview traveling even more difficult! :mad:

Damn I couldn't even take eye drops when I was flying to my CS exam!

What?! According to the TSA website, you should be allowed up to 4 oz of eye drops in your carry on. I don't doubt that what they actually allow from city to city might vary in reality. (I'm not actually that uptight, but I had to check about something else!)

Anyone have any experience with taking a garment bag on the plane? Do they still let you do that, or could you kill someone with the hanger? I'll jam the suit in a plastic bag if they make me!

22in is the posted max for most US airlines, but you can probably push it to 24in if the flight is not too full (dont know if you really want to count on this). major european airlines don't allow the 22in, max can be 20in. i recently bought a 22in and now kind of wish i had done the 20in instead. there are rumors that carriers will decrease the allow-able size again (along with the eradication of every other possible pleasurable amenity they can think of)

Akhmad is laughing at you. :p

can u or can't u carry toothpaste?

you can carry on toothpaste, but it has to be less than 3oz. the woman sitting next to me on the plane last week was awed that TSA took away her toothpaste because it was in a 6oz container. they are not kidding. i carried on a few small items and was reprimanded for not having them in the clear ziplock baggie. no, its not a joke. they let me go 'this time'.

here is another question. can i carry on my suit in a garmet bag (not a actual suitcase, but like something you would get from the cleaners) and not have it count as one of my two items? is there somewhere to hang it up? i should have looked while i was flying, but of course it didn't occur at the time.

There is a bin/closet thingy between first class and coach for hang up items, but I don't know about it counting as one of your two items or not.

So what's the consensus? What luggage is small enough for a carry-on but also doubles as a garment bag?

I've seen people use the bin closet thing for small garment bags, and am hoping that will work- it just looks like the space in there is limited, so i'm searching for the thinnest garment bag.

Check out the 20" and 22" rolling suitcases by Swiss Army -- they have a line of bags with a telescoping handle, the tip of which can rotate so that your UE isn't always in the waiter's-tip position. I used to have a 22", which was fabulous; then it got stolen, and now I have a 20", which is also great.

-AT.

Is anyone planning on checking NONE of their luggage? If so, what are you using?

But the 3 oz is per tube/container. If you need more of a particular substance, why not just fill up 2 containers with it? How many hanging clothes will fit in the bag you mentioned? Could it hold enough clothes for nearly a week?