This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title reads, which FMG school has the best match rate?

I have heard that there are some very good Carib schools (in terms of match rate) like SGU and maybe Ross [essentially the big three], but I recently heard that the first FMG school that Beaumont Hospital (an extremely white - biased hospital) opened up to was Aga Khan University (AKU) and that an AKU student was chief resident (not sure for what) just a few years after this happened [they opened to AKU].

By the way, this is from a Beaumont trained IM doc who is currently working for KP (so credibility).

So does AKU have the best FMG match rate (not from this n=1 story, but I just added the anecdote because it was something I had heard)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As the title reads, which FMG school has the best match rate?

I have heard that there are some very good Carib schools (in terms of match rate) like SGU and maybe Ross [essentailly the big three], but I recently heard that the first FMG school that Beaumont Hospital (an extremely white - biased hospital) opened up to was Aga Khan University (AKU) and that an AKU student was chief resident (not sure for what) just a few years after this happened [they opened to AKU].

By the way, this is from a Beaumont trained IM doc who is currently working for KP (so credibility).

So does AKU have the best FMG match rate (not from this n=1 story, but I just added the anecdote because it was something I had heard)?
While I cannot comment on the number of FMGs from AKU matching in the US, Beaumont is located in an area with a extremely large number of Middle Eastern and Muslims so it would make sense that they would cultivate a relationship with AKU (widely considered one of the best international medical schools).

The schools in Israel seem to do pretty well. Be careful with match rate. For bad schools the easiest way to increase March rate is kick people out who won't match. That is very very common.

Reactions: 1 users
While I cannot comment on the number of FMGs from AKU matching in the US, Beaumont is located in an area with a extremely large number of Middle Eastern and Muslims so it would make sense that they would cultivate a relationship with AKU (widely considered one of the best international medical schools).
Yeah - there are a lot of Arabs/Mid Easterns/Muslims near there; Dearborn has one of the highest rates of Arabs in the country..

The schools in Israel seem to do pretty well. Be careful with match rate. For bad schools the easiest way to increase March rate is kick people out who won't match. That is very very common.
Yeah, I know that is very common for Carib schools, but I'm fairly sure AKU doesn't prevent people from taking Step I & II, but yeah I'd have to check their rate of attrition. Good point.

I have also heard that AKU grads have higher quality matches i.e. not just FM and psych like most IMGs, but that they match at places like MGH and in areas like ENT and Neuro like USMD/DOs. However, I cannot find their match list anywhere online - does anyone know where I can find it [their match list]?

Also, their website states their board scores are higher than the world average. What is the current world average?

Last edited:
Go to a US school if you want to be a US physician.
Really?
That was my previous mindset but I have found that I have family members who have attended AKU and are working in the US (specifically in oto).
Is this true as a blanket statement or can AKU be the exception?
I feel that it is hard for you to make that statement without specific knowledge of AKU and how it may be different from other foreign med schools, but I'm not sure (you may be right in that this blanket statement applies for all non US med schools).

If you are a US citizen who lives in the US, then go to a US medical school if you can. US-IMGs (which you would be if you left the US and went to AKU) are universally lesser tier applicants. While I'm sure AKU is a great school, you'd have to have a pretty compelling story as to why you left the US for medical school when you were planning on coming back to the US for residency, and that's assuming a PD will even get to the point of looking at your application.

Beaumont has 4 IM programs, Royal Oak being the largest. The program is filled with IMGs from all over the world, including AKU.
Internal Medicine Residency, Royal Oak-Residents | Beaumont
Anahuac University (Mexico), Jordan University of Science and Technology, The University of Jordan, National Medical University (Ukraine), Tribhuvan University (Nepal), St Georges (Caribbean), AUC (Caribbean), Sackler (Israel), Peking University (China), University of Damascus (Syria), Peking Union Med University (China), Ain Shams University (Egypt), All-India Institute (India), Medical University of Gdansk (Poland), The Autonomous University of Queretaro (Mexico), The University of Guadalajara (Mexico).

I don't know the program history, but it wouldn't seem to me that they are particularly IMG adverse.

And you will always find some IMGs at super competitive programs. These are by and large superstar foreign citizens who went to medical school in their home country and came to the US for residency. Top programs will of course take the best and the brightest from outside the US, but rarely if ever will they take US citizens who went abroad for medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
That's true.
Yeah looking at that webpage tells a whole different story that what I had thought. I assume they have changed their views from when my source got their info.

If your relatives matched more than 10-15 years ago, they got in before the increase in DO schools and the relative reduction in available residency positions for IMGs.

There will always be a superstar IMG/FMG who will match into ENT or PRS but you need to know the backstory: how many years did they try before matching, did they get a categorical position or start out with Prelim, did they have connections (often obtained through years of working in a research lab), etc.?

If you are an American citizen, it will be assumed you couldn't get into a US school if you leave the country, whether true or not. You will not be viewed the same as a Pakistani native who went to AKU, aced the USMLEs and had a compelling reason to come to the US.

Reactions: 3 users