best class to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best class, other than the required prereqs, were to take in preparation for the MCAT.

Ive heard: Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, Cell Bio

which one would benefit me best?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

chan said:
Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best class, other than the required prereqs, were to take in preparation for the MCAT.

Ive heard: Biochemistry, Physiology, Genetics, Cell Bio

which one would benefit me best?

thanks

I'd say take 'em all but I think physiology is the important one because it covers hormones, repiratory system, muscles, cardiovascular and the bane of my existence, AP.

I agree, physiology is the most helpful. It is fun to learn, little memorization, and it integrates some math. (One my favorite college courses)
Also, it may be the kicker that differentiates you on 3-5 questions in the BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
a full genetics class would be a waste of time as the genetics on the mcat is pretty simple

i got a lot out of biochem because it familiarized me with a lot of the more advanced material that the mcat test writers love to write passages on

Iwy Em Hotep said:
A literature class. The verbal part of the MCAT tends to give people the most trouble.

i would add philosophy to that, actually

In an ideal world, I think that everyone here is right. It would be extremely helpful to take upper-level literature and philosophy, physiology, genetics, cell biology, and biochemistry.

When I was looking at which extra class to take, I decided to focus on my weakness and so I took biochem. Can't even tell you how helpful it was. Best decision I've ever made.

Tailor it to your own knowledge base. Knowing nothing else about you, I would recommend biochem. It firms up several aspects of cellular biology and contains within it some genetics. Physiology would be a good course to take concomitantly.

gujuDoc said:
You only need the prereqs to do well.

I don't think that's an accurate statement for the majority of the population. Having more advanced coursework under your belt ensures that you have more intricate understanding of the concepts brought up in the prereqs.

Of the people that I know who did well on the MCAT, all had taken (more) advanced work such as biochem and pchem.