Best Classes for "Padding" your science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm paying the price for a few bad grades many years ago. What classes have you found to be the best to take for padding the science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

What about going back and taking some basic math classes? Would that look bad?

I have two A's in calculus at another school from 1992-3. My current school says that I'm required to take Algebra and Trigonometry (though I will be able to have this waived upon graduation audit.)

Should I go ahead and take the two easy A ath classes, or will Adcoms know what's up and look poorly on my feeble attempt to play the system?

Are there any other science classes you'd recommend?

Perhaps a better question is when and where to take them. Some schools are easier than others and even the time that you take them at the same school makes it easier to "perform" well. ie. My friend in a 7 yr bs/md program took her premeds during the summer to assure her automatic acceptance to the md program.

Members don't see this ad :)
intro astro classes are great for boosting your science gpa, since basically all of astro is based on physics.

paleontology/ecology classes can sometimes be considered bio, but you have to check the AMCAS.

I thought parasitology was very basic (especially if you've taken other microscopy classes like histo or micro). That shouldn't be a problem for ya.

I tend to do better in classes that I'm really interested in. Even if they're considered harder. I just pay better attention and retain things better.

So instead of taking classes merely to pad my science gpa (which definitely needed a boost) I took physio and immunology and I think came out looking very dedicated. That and I'll have already seen some stuff in med school!

Glass blowing is a chem class at my undergrad school

Cross over to the liberal arts side of campus and ask them what science courses they are taking to fill req's

Science classes for non-majors, astronomy, human development, anything in Psych that's also Bio-ish.

I liked my herbs and medicinal plants class taught through the botany dept. :thumbup:

i took a class called "math powered flight"....basically adding vectors, piece of cake and semi-interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not sure if it will do you any good to take the gen-ed versions of science classes (i.e. CHM 101) that liberal arts majors take (and as far as pre-med reqs go, you have to take the same sh.t that they do anyway--perhaps i just didn't understand this strategy).

anyhow, i would recommend pretty much any 200-level classs in geology, ecology, or other dept's like environmental health etc.

edit: also, in the interest of taking "easy" classes, make sure you don't sign up for a course with time-consuming crap like labs or a term-project.

Originally posted by Zweihander
Rocks for Jocks

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

Astronomy and Dinosaur courses tend to be really easy as well.

Just follow the scholarship athletes to their science courses.

Just follow the scholarship athletes to their science courses.
sad, but usually (though not always) true.

I'm taking biopsycholgy. I'm not sure it counts as a science, but it's basically a review of the nervous sysytem. Pretty flippin' easy.:cool:

i actually think upper level science classes taught in a seminar style are good for getting higher grades.
the professors aren't out to get you, so unless you truly screw up, you're going to get a good grade.
plus, your prof will get to know you and will be able to write you a good letter of recommendation.

I took planet earth and the oceans as a telecourse. So easy. I watched a bunch of videos and got an A.

I would think this would be school-specific. Courses that are reputably easy...like some mentioned here, might be taught by a difficult professor at your school.

Take advanced math courses. Differential Equations, Multivar Calc, Proofs, etc. all count toward BCMP without looking like you are taking a bunch of cheesy classes to boost your gpa.

~AS1~

you know, i was just thinking about that today. I was wondering if my logic class would help my sci GPA since it falls under a math general ed course....?