Best Degree for Interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RBHammond1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, found this forum and have noticed that it's a great repository for a wealth of info.

I currently have a BA in an unrelated field and am looking to pursue either a MSW or MEd in Counseling Psychology. I am interested in getting a PsyD in the future, but I don't have much experience in the field and need to rack up those positive references and higher GPAs. Not that I was a slacker in undergrad or anything.

My primary interest in this field is in trauma and PTSD. My hope is to either work with a police department or the military helping veterans and those affected by trauma. I even found a few positions with three-letter government agencies that I'm interested in.

Primarily, I am more interested in therapy and hands-on practice over research, but that admittedly may change. I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments, especially in regards to which degree would work best or what route would be the most useful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

RB,

The military, as I have found to be the case is more interested in SW. I have a 11 years in, and am about to finish an MA in Counseling Psych. Most of the people I have talked to said I would only be able to get a commission with the Army. If you're going for sheer marketability, I would go for the MSW. Hope that helps.

.w