Best DPT Program for Going Into Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-PT student 20

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if there are any schools that are particularly known for being a good place to start for students looking to go into working with pediatric populations? Or any programs that have more connections to pediatric hospitals/clinics or even just a greater chance to gain experience with this population during rotations?? Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, schools do not specialize, and curriculums are designed to be entry level. I wouldn't put too much on clinical or even in class opportunities because their existence doesn't mean you'll get them. By this I mean, your school might have research projects or class projects on a peds case, but it isn't guaranteed you'll get that opportunity. Same goes for clinical experiences, just because a school has an affiliation doesn't mean they have open slots every rotation. That being said, a few things to make sure you are around peds knowledge-
1) Residency programs. A school with a residency program in peds is probably well connected. ABPTRFE
2) Faculty research. See who is involved in peds research
3) Clinical practice within school? By this I mean, is their a clinic affiliated with your school that treats kids
4) Location: In general, big cities are more likely to have children's hospitals, which increases connections.

Lastly, realize that a lot of people who come into PT school thinking they know what they want change their minds. I therefore wouldn't let this be the sole determining factor of choosing schools, as you will learn essentially the same peds curriculum everywhere. Also, make sure in your app that you don't seem "peds and nothing else" as that can be a red flag for admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
We had only 2 pediatric classes in DPT program. - 6 units total. I assume it's standard for any DPT program. When you get to rotations, you can tell your school you would prefer to be in pediatric setting, and they may be able to accommodate you. Just remember that may (or may not) be at the expense of a longer commute or going to another city/state, so may not really worth it.
From my experience, most PTs are not that interested in pediatric settings, so you should be able to find a job in peds and gain experience as you start working in that setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, schools do not specialize, and curriculums are designed to be entry level. I wouldn't put too much on clinical or even in class opportunities because their existence doesn't mean you'll get them. By this I mean, your school might have research projects or class projects on a peds case, but it isn't guaranteed you'll get that opportunity. Same goes for clinical experiences, just because a school has an affiliation doesn't mean they have open slots every rotation. That being said, a few things to make sure you are around peds knowledge-
1) Residency programs. A school with a residency program in peds is probably well connected. ABPTRFE
2) Faculty research. See who is involved in peds research
3) Clinical practice within school? By this I mean, is their a clinic affiliated with your school that treats kids
4) Location: In general, big cities are more likely to have children's hospitals, which increases connections.

Lastly, realize that a lot of people who come into PT school thinking they know what they want change their minds. I therefore wouldn't let this be the sole determining factor of choosing schools, as you will learn essentially the same peds curriculum everywhere. Also, make sure in your app that you don't seem "peds and nothing else" as that can be a red flag for admissions.

Thank you so much for all of this insight! Those are all great things to consider, I definitely had not thought about all of those. You also have a great point about students changing their minds and not making my application seem too closed off to other possibilities. Thank you so much for the help!

We had only 2 pediatric classes in DPT program. - 6 units total. I assume it's standard for any DPT program. When you get to rotations, you can tell your school you would prefer to be in pediatric setting, and they may be able to accommodate you. Just remember that may (or may not) be at the expense of a longer commute or going to another city/state, so may not really worth it.
From my experience, most PTs are not that interested in pediatric settings, so you should be able to find a job in peds and gain experience as you start working in that setting.

Okay, that is great to know what the standard generally is. And also helpful to know what to expect as far a clinical rotation possibilities. Thank you for this information!

I currently attend the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. We have two pediatrics classes over two quarters. Within this course, there is an integrated clinical experience component where you’re paired with one or two others to eval/treat a kiddo with disabilities. There are 5 meetings over 2 quarters with the child, one hour long. You get to apply what you learn as you go. In addition, there is an “advanced pediatrics” elective offered at my program, where you get to do more interaction with kiddos at this park in Seattle. We also have a number of options for peds for clinical rotations, such as Seattle Children’s Hospital and others. This upcoming year they will also be offering a pediatrics residency. So, look into UW if you’re interested in peds. I can answer more things if you have questions (I don’t want to do pediatrics).

I currently attend the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. We have two pediatrics classes over two quarters. Within this course, there is an integrated clinical experience component where you’re paired with one or two others to eval/treat a kiddo with disabilities. There are 5 meetings over 2 quarters with the child, one hour long. You get to apply what you learn as you go. In addition, there is an “advanced pediatrics” elective offered at my program, where you get to do more interaction with kiddos at this park in Seattle. We also have a number of options for peds for clinical rotations, such as Seattle Children’s Hospital and others. This upcoming year they will also be offering a pediatrics residency. So, look into UW if you’re interested in peds. I can answer more things if you have questions (I don’t want to do pediatrics).
Thank you so much for your insight on possibilities at University of Washington! Those sound like great experiences that could be very beneficial for going into peds. The information about clinical rotations is also very helpful too. Thank you for this!