Best GPR/AEGD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicagoDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in great detail over the years, but with programs changing so much from year to year as faculty and program directors come and go, I thought I'd bring it up again.

What are the best GPR/AEGD programs out there? For me, important things to consider would be opportunities for implant therapy, molar endo, IV anesthesia, and obviously the ability to take on complex prosthodontic cases.

Any current or recent residents have any input on this? Or, any current applicants had any great experiences as an extern or visitor at any particular programs?

Any information would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most VA's are a good option. The treatment is provided at no cost to the veterans so there is usually little opposition to larger treatment plans -- if they are in the patient's best interest. Different programs do things differently, however. My program was very pros heavy with tons of perio surgery, extractions, and some implants. No call, which was nice, so no trauma. No kids. Men much more than women. Very medically compromised. Little to no endo and I'm IV certified but we didn't provide it in the clinic - we did a rotation in endoscopy knocking out the folks getting their colons checked. So, like most programs I got a lot of what I wanted (I like pros) but there were some things I wish I had gotten a better experience with (endo). Each VA is going to be different though.

Asking current residents is always going to give you the best insight.

Reactions: 1 user
It may be tough to find all those things you listed in one residency program. I visited/interviewed at several residency programs in Chicago and NYC and can't name a single program that had a good implant experience AND lots of molar endo AND IV sedation AND complex prosth cases, so keep that in mind. You may have to prioritize certain areas depending on your interests. The best way to find out obviously is to schedule a visit, which most programs are happy to do.

If you're looking in the Chicago area, I liked the Jessie Brown VA and Illinois Masonic. Neither are particularly heavy on implants. The VA is great for prosth cases with a light call schedule, and Masonic has a good amount of endo from what I hear.

If New York is an option, my residency program was pretty decent for implant surgery and molar endo, but no IV sedation or complex prosth. You can PM me for more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
the San Antonio VA AEGD program is definitely one of the top programs in the nation, in my opinion. almost anything you can think of, they offer. their residents can expect 35+ implant surgeries on top of a slew of other perio surgeries(OFD, GBR, Root coverage, etc), 2-4 full mouth rehabs, tons of esthetic cases, CEREC with omnicam, IV sedation credentials (you are required to perform at least 25 IV cases throughout the yr), 3-5 full ortho cases, Invisalign certification, 40+ cases for endo (molars, retreatment, post removal), and they have rotations in oral surgery, anesthesia, TMD pain management, and pediatric dentistry (they join up with the pedo residents from UTHSCSA).

The program director there is one of a kind; the program is a gem. the only negative thing would be limited experiences in wizzy extractions due to the patient population being predominately older male vets.

That's a pretty impressive VA program (in San Antonion). I had a good experience in Philadelphia's VA program but definitely does not have everything the OP wants or everything that you get in San Antonion - there is no IV sedation, no pedo, no ortho, pretty much no esthetics, no CEREC. There is also minimal on-call (which is great). To answer the OP's question, I would definitely say a VA program is the way to go. Not worrying about finances and creating awesome treatment plans is the best way to get experience. I placed 10 implants, did a ton of extractions, did a ton of prosth (including implant crowns, bridges, and dentures), did 80 cases for Endo (half molars), bunch of Operative, and some perio surgeries. Most of my co-residents did not do 80 cases of endo btw, I sought them out.

I used to look for (while researching what GPR/AEGD to go to) what programs place implants. That and molar endo was a really big criteria for me. I've now completely changed my mind after residency. I don't think GENERAL DENTISTS should place implants UNLESS they went to a residency that highly highly trains in implants. A few I know of are: Albert Einstein GPR, some residency in Augusta, GA (can't remember if it's a gpr or aegd), and I believe a residency in Alabama (again can't remember which one). These guys place 60+ implants and have a lot of lectures and training on implants, bone grafts, sinus lifts, etc. After placing 10 implants, I could place some successful implants in the posterior region, but I'm not comfortable with bone grafts, sinus lifts, and especially anterior region. I've seen A LOT of implants fail, and those were placed by oral surgeons and periodontists. How many general dentists are better than them? Bone grafts don't always work, the anterior ridge is quite unpredictable and the angulation can be tricky, the mental foramen and sinus can screw you. A lot of cases would end up just fine, but I know that there could be several times where I could find myself not knowing what to do. I placed 10 implants, watched a ton of other implant placements, and had lectures on it....but I'm no where close to an expert which is why I've decided not to place implants. That's my program though. Most GPR programs don't place any implants and like I said, there's only a very few that probably train their residents to be able to go out in the real world and place successfully. The 98% success rate you always learn about is not true. Just something to think about.

That's a pretty impressive VA program (in San Antonion). I had a good experience in Philadelphia's VA program but definitely does not have everything the OP wants or everything that you get in San Antonion - there is no IV sedation, no pedo, no ortho, pretty much no esthetics, no CEREC. There is also minimal on-call (which is great). To answer the OP's question, I would definitely say a VA program is the way to go. Not worrying about finances and creating awesome treatment plans is the best way to get experience. I placed 10 implants, did a ton of extractions, did a ton of prosth (including implant crowns, bridges, and dentures), did 80 cases for Endo (half molars), bunch of Operative, and some perio surgeries. Most of my co-residents did not do 80 cases of endo btw, I sought them out.

I used to look for (while researching what GPR/AEGD to go to) what programs place implants. That and molar endo was a really big criteria for me. I've now completely changed my mind after residency. I don't think GENERAL DENTISTS should place implants UNLESS they went to a residency that highly highly trains in implants. A few I know of are: Albert Einstein GPR, some residency in Augusta, GA (can't remember if it's a gpr or aegd), and I believe a residency in Alabama (again can't remember which one). These guys place 60+ implants and have a lot of lectures and training on implants, bone grafts, sinus lifts, etc. After placing 10 implants, I could place some successful implants in the posterior region, but I'm not comfortable with bone grafts, sinus lifts, and especially anterior region. I've seen A LOT of implants fail, and those were placed by oral surgeons and periodontists. How many general dentists are better than them? Bone grafts don't always work, the anterior ridge is quite unpredictable and the angulation can be tricky, the mental foramen and sinus can screw you. A lot of cases would end up just fine, but I know that there could be several times where I could find myself not knowing what to do. I placed 10 implants, watched a ton of other implant placements, and had lectures on it....but I'm no where close to an expert which is why I've decided not to place implants. That's my program though. Most GPR programs don't place any implants and like I said, there's only a very few that probably train their residents to be able to go out in the real world and place successfully. The 98% success rate you always learn about is not true. Just something to think about.
Would you mind telling me what that name of the VA in Philadelphia you attended? Was it the Michael J. Crescent VA GPR? Thanks for the great post, it was very helpful

Last edited:
I'm a current resident at the VA in Salt Lake City. We get tons of exposure to everything you are looking for. I've placed 90 implants thus far, restored close to half of my cases plus another 50 or so from previous residents. I've completed 35 IV sedation cases, over 150 extractions, tons of crown and bridge, complex restorative treatment plans from full mouth rehabs to overdenture cases.

I've loved the program and think it's one of the best out there for things you are wanting to focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current resident at the VA in Salt Lake City. We get tons of exposure to everything you are looking for. I've placed 90 implants thus far, restored close to half of my cases plus another 50 or so from previous residents. I've completed 35 IV sedation cases, over 150 extractions, tons of crown and bridge, complex restorative treatment plans from full mouth rehabs to overdenture cases.

I've loved the program and think it's one of the best out there for things you are wanting to focus on.

Sounds like a great program and thank you for the response, I've brought my list of places to apply down to 10 and the VA at SLC is on there! Would you mind telling me what the endo experience is like? Any endo retreat or apicoectomy? Thanks again for your post it is very helpful!

Where did you have time to do all of this, plus all of the required parts of a GPR? Ninety implants in less than a year seems like a lot. Just my opinion.

And for the record, complex rehabilitation cases often take more than one year, that is why prosth training is longer.

Not sure what you mean by where did I have time to do all of this. We work 7:30-5 Monday-Friday.

Some cases we place 8 implants on a patient for overdentures in a three hour appt, some days I'll place 2, another day 8 etc.

Not sure why you are attacking my statements either. I realize that complex cases take long, we work side by side with an amazing prosthodontist who knows our limits because he has been through it.

I have no reason to lie about what I've done here during residency. I could care less what people think about the GPR since I'm not the director. I am just trying to help others see that you can do a lot here at this program based on my experience. One of my co-residents has placed 100 implants, the other two have placed 50 and 40. So here we get a lot done and have a lot of patients in need I guess.

Hello Everybody:
This Dean Elledge DDS MS
I am the director and residency Prosthodontist

Just finished our 15th class of aegd residents.
Check out our 2023 YouTube at Wichita State AEGD
The cases will show you the scope of complete practice. We are very similar to a private practice.
Dr Gordon Christensen speaks at our kickoff- he explains the reason for an aegd
The residents will show you what we do.
Lots of technology- restorative and surgery
https://www.wichita.edu/academics/health_professions/aegd/aegd-graduation.phpIMG_0881.png