Best (least busiest time) to get married in 4th year?

litebrite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
He's in his 3rd year now, and I'd like to have more than half a year to plan the wedding. Plus I know he has to take Step 2 and get through interview season.
I'm thinking March-June, sometime before we have to move to his residency. I'm sort of partial to a late spring-summer wedding since I am thinking of holding the ceremony outdoors without a tent.

Any thoughts or suggestions absolutely appreciated! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! I think your time frame is good....except for maybe June. You might be packing up houses and getting ready to move and start internship during that time.....and thats alot of extra stress.

April would give you a couple months married before moving again and the weather is usually good....not too hot.

And just have him schedule an easier rotation right after you get married so that he will have more time at home and less stress at work. Fourth year is good for scheduling how you want it.

Good luck and congratulations again! Being married is my single most favorite thing in the world!

rebecca

I think spring is a good idea, another time you might consider is around September or so (unless he is planning to take Step 2 or do a sub/i then). It's before interviews start, and personally (my husband and I are both in med school) I've found the time after interview season, with the Match, trying to buy a house in a different state, move, take out a mortgage, etc. has been busier for us than Sept./Oct., before interview season started. It totally depends on what specialty you're going into and if you're planning to move for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your opinions, when is the best time to get married during med school? Before first year, in the middle years sometime, wait until after fourth year? You all seem to have it together because you've been through the med school years with your spouses, and I'm interested to know when the least stressful time would be to a) get married and b) not overly stress an already stressful first year of marriage due to med school (if that's even possible!).

Thanks!

****removed By Poster****

We're both 4th year med students (for 1 more day!!) and we just got married in April of our 4th year. It worked out great b/c:

-We were engaged for a little over a year, nice to have lots of time to plan (which was actually easy during 3rd yr etc b/c we started early and got things done when we could)
-We finished school 2 weeks before the wedding technically, but in all honesty we hadn't done a hard rotation since before winter break! So we had plenty of time as the date neared to finish planning the little details
-We were done w/ interviewing, Match etc.
-We had time to go on our honeymoon and have 3 weeks off before graduation when we got back, so we didn't worry about packing or anything till after the honeymoon was over
-Weather was gorgeous!

Alternatively, we have other fourth year friends getting married in June, and they have to come back from their honeymoons and go straight to Intern year - I don't think they realized that you don't start July 1, but often 1-2 weeks before that for orientation...

Good luck!