Best MCAT Practice Test to Take Before Beginning MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedstudent149

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was planning to take an MCAT practice test before any MCAT preparation in order to gauge where I am at. What are some practice tests that would be recommended for this? I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Next Step has a free full length that I thought was pretty decent. Would be good for a rough gauge. Save all AAMC stuff until after content review.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Hello everyone, I was planning to take an MCAT practice test before any MCAT preparation in order to gauge where I am at. What are some practice tests that would be recommended for this? I would really appreciate some feedback on this.
100% would recommend Next Step, or take the Sample AAMC MCAT. I took 4 total Next Step Exams and all the AAMC (4 total I think) and that was plenty of practice for me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were to say that perhaps a diagnostic test would/could be a waste of an exam and (more importantly) your time, would you be open to hearing why?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, if I had it to do over, I would have jumped right in and take AAMC FL#1 for the first test. I listened to everyone on SDN say "SAVE THE AAMC stuff for after content" review. What I found out was that I needed very little content review because I had already sufficiently mastered much of the content ahead of time. What I had not done was ever encountered MCAT style testing. Sadly, I wasted time doing content review when in the end what I needed was to learn something totally new: the ins and outs of the MCAT test itself (specifically, things such as timing, MCAT math, and things such as what is considered "statistically significant" for the MCAT).