Best MCAT prep books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hakjam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I plan on taking the MCAT in 2013. Anyone know of the best prep books I should use? All ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Examkrackers are good and very basic/straightforward. Everyone usually recommends this on top of everything else
Need more in depth information the berkeley review has heavy content.

I personally like examkrackers, and I'm looking into Kaplan, because I feel kaplan books fit my style of learning/reading the content. I also got some kaplan practice tests, most people say they are a lot harder than the real thing, I haven't taken any practice tests though.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I plan on taking the MCAT in 2013. Anyone know of the best prep books I should use? All ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

If you take the MCAT without using TBR's General Chemistry to prepare you're making a mistake.

The others are good as well.

TBR Physics will help you to think MCAT physics.

TBR O Chem is good but I don't necessarily think it's better than any of the other prep books that I've seen. Evidently they just released a new edition which is probably better than what I used.

I used TPR Biology which was very in depth but a lot of people recommend EK or TBR, using one of them might be a good idea. I'd probably try EK Biology if I had to prepare all over again.

As others have mentioned, TBR and EK are great books. You could also consider TPR. TBR is massive and extensive but will make you think the right way, for a lack of a better explanation. The are great at bridging concepts. EK is concise and helps you to stay sane and on track. Hope this clears some things up I recommend browsing through the forum and see what other students have found helpful. Good luck!

TBR for content review and the EK 1001 series (and 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning) for practice problems. Also do all of the AAMC practice exams.

As others have mentioned, TBR and EK are great books. You could also consider TPR. TBR is massive and extensive but will make you think the right way, for a lack of a better explanation. The are great at bridging concepts. EK is concise and helps you to stay sane and on track. Hope this clears some things up I recommend browsing through the forum and see what other students have found helpful. Good luck!

Exactly. TBR teaches you concepts the way they need to be applied to the MCAT and how to apply them to solve MCAT questions, not the way they need to be applied to classroom courses.

The things TBR taught me I found to be tremendously helpful, especially on the physical sciences section.

Best way to get a physician shadowing experience. Call a hospital or contact a physician?

Exactly. TBR teaches you concepts the way they need to be applied to the MCAT and how to apply them to solve MCAT questions, not the way they need to be applied to classroom courses.

That sums it up perfectly. Getting ready for this test is learning to think in a multiple-choice, work from a basic concept manner. That comes from doing passages and reviewing answer explanations.

I like the TBR as echoed by most. Using EK Bio is a great idea. I think that book out of their hole series is probably the best idea, then switching over to the TBR.