SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best MCAT prep course and software (IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE)

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by rangerdad, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:03 PM.

If money was not an issue what program would you buy for MCAT prep

1. Princenton Review Immersion

2. Kaplan Immersion

3. AAMC Material

4. Altius Ultimate Package

5. Next Step Custom

6. Do it yourself: College Books

7. Exam Krackers, Practice test, and Khan Academy mix

8. Wing It!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rangerdad

rangerdad 2+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Orange Park, FL
    Hello guys,

I haven't posted anything in a while, but I chose to stay away from this website for a while. I a little intense! I am almost at the end of my Biomedical degree and now I am starting to think about MCAT prep.
    As a prior military member I am using the Vocational Rehab Program, and I want to put the best possible MCAT prep program as part as my study plan. The VA will pay for the course so money is not an issue.
    Which program you guys think is the best: Altius, Next Step, Kaplan Full immersion, Princenton Full immersion, etc...?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Siromas

Siromas Non-Traditional livin' Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Aug 17, 2016
    I believe they all have their positives and negatives. For example, I believe that TBR and Kaplan are the best for starting from ground zero and bringing you up to speed to score incredibly well on the real exam. On the other hand, I believe Exam Krackers is the best for its coverage of "high yield" topics and focusing on the most important concepts. I think the best program for you would depend on your starting knowledge base and learning preferences.

Regardless of which 3rd party prep you use, absolutely invest in using the AAMC released materials (practice exams/section banks/sample test). When its best to use these materials is up in the air, but with no 3rd party company being able to exactly mimic the AAMC "style" of questions, there's no comparison.
  4. jungdoc

jungdoc Future JD/MD

Mar 5, 2018
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    If money was no barrier? I'd probably still do self-study, but I'd be sorely tempted to pay for Leah4Sci's MCAT tutoring. Not sure if that would qualify for reimbursement.

I used a combination of the Kaplan books (purchased on Craigslist), Next Step full lengths/diagnostics, and AAMC practice materials and full lengths. I also relied on Khan Academy, Leah4sci, and similar YouTube lessons to shore up my understanding and to get tips, tricks, and shortcuts that are useful on the exam.