Best medical schools for nature lovers?

Started by Loveless
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Second University of Washington. Clinical rotations in 3rd/4th year bounce you all over Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana, & Wyoming.

But it's hard (not impossible though) to get in if you do not live in one of those states.

Yep, I would fourth the UW vote. Seriously, it is the PNW! There is a huge reason why we are called the evergreen state.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1368681575.043571.jpg

I mean, they build their campus around this view to remind people of nature. Check out those trees!

I am planning a bunch of hiking and backpacking trips this summer. I am totally going to hike around Mt. Rainier at least once.
 
Okay, I told myself I would not fanboy it up and stay out of this thread... but I couldn't resist.


OHSU has tons of trails next to campus, is <30 minutes from some really beautiful/random forest (maybe closer), Mt. Hood Ntl. Forest is ~45 minutes away (and snowboarding ~1 hour), it's surrounded by rivers (Willamette, Columiba, Sandy) and creeks, The coast is ~1h20 min away, desert (smith rock and other great climbing spots) is ~2 hours away... lots more.


Disclaimer: It rains in winter just like Washington, but maybe a little less so.

edit: Gotta give some love to UW though. Us PNW schools gotta stick together.
 

Attachments

  • OHSU_gondola.jpg
    OHSU_gondola.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Love this thread! What about TX schools? Definitely not UTSW, Tech, Galveston, or San Antonio... I can't think of any TX schools that are good for nature lovers 🙁
 
Definitely going to have to vouch for UW and OHSU. Portland has better access to the outdoors than Seattle with less sprawl and less traffic. The North Cascades are off the hook if mountains/climbing is your thing. Huge amounts of wilderness closer to Seattle but from Portland you can easily get a day of surfing/skiing/climbing/mountaineering in and be back at a reasonable hour. Better quality climbing closer to Seattle (Index is world class) but you can rock climb more months of the year near Portland (Smith and Trout Creek are day trips).