Best Mil deal ever!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amindwalker

Forgetful omniscient
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Army National Guard has 200 ADSW (active duty for special work) slots for medical and dental students right now. That means full-time 2LT salary ($2500/month) + ALL of the active duty benefits (housing & subsistence allowance, health insurance for you and dependents, space available flights, etc). For me, with a wife & kids = $3500/month after taxes while in school. Furthermore, after 2 years, you get promoted to 1LT, which means you will get a pay raise of nearly $1000/month for a total of about $4500/month.

You have to do a civilian residency but you can qualify at that time for the STRAP program which pays you a significant stipend. You cannot be deployed during medical school or residency, and after that, you owe them one weekend every 3 months (as a physician) and 2 weeks annual training. The current policy is that a physician in the Army National Guard can only be deployed for 90 days every 2 years. The obligation is 1:1. When you graduate, there is a $75,000 sign-on bonus and a student loan repayment deal available.

I am a 2LT finishing up my 1st year of med school this month and I will be going to OBC (25 day Guard course) this summer. This is a brand new program & it appears that I'm the first one to sign on. It is way too good to be true, but it is real. I guess the Guard is really short on Docs & they figure this is a good way to recruit some medical students. If you're already in HPSP, you will not be eligible, so this is really for anyone who is considering the military option. This just went through, so there may not be any info on the internet about it yet. This is such a good thing for me and my family & I felt like spreading the good news.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the service requirement? Meaning, how many years do you owe them for med school? Year for year? Two years for every year, etc.

The Army National Guard has 200 ADSW (active duty for special work) slots for medical and dental students right now. That means full-time 2LT salary ($2500/month) + ALL of the active duty benefits (housing & subsistence allowance, health insurance for you and dependents, space available flights, etc). For me, with a wife & kids = $3500/month after taxes while in school. Furthermore, after 2 years, you get promoted to 1LT, which means you will get a pay raise of nearly $1000/month for a total of about $4500/month.

You have to do a civilian residency but you can qualify at that time for the STRAP program which pays you a significant stipend. You cannot be deployed during medical school or residency, and after that, you owe them one weekend every 3 months (as a physician) and 2 weeks annual training. The current policy is that a physician in the Army National Guard can only be deployed for 90 days every 2 years. The obligation is 1:1. When you graduate, there is a $75,000 sign-on bonus and a student loan repayment deal available.

I am a 2LT finishing up my 1st year of med school this month and I will be going to OBC (25 day Guard course) this summer. This is a brand new program & it appears that I'm the first one to sign on. It is way too good to be true, but it is real. I guess the Guard is really short on Docs & they figure this is a good way to recruit some medical students. If you're already in HPSP, you will not be eligible, so this is really for anyone who is considering the military option. This just went through, so there may not be any info on the internet about it yet. This is such a good thing for me and my family & I felt like spreading the good news.

1:1 Commitment. 2 90 day deployments and a few weekends and 2 week training periods. 3-4 times the monthly pay. But does it pay the tuition and fees?

Members don't see this ad :)
1:1 Commitment. 2 90 day deployments and a few weekends and 2 week training periods. 3-4 times the monthly pay. But does it pay the tuition and fees?

Have you heard of this program?

you can't take both bonus (75K) and loan repayment(50K) at the same time. I doubt that they would pay you both stipend in school and bonus after you graduate.

you can't take both bonus (75K) and loan repayment(50K) at the same time. I doubt that they would pay you both stipend in school and bonus after you graduate.

But you can take the loan repayment and the stipend together?

But you can take the loan repayment and the stipend together?

technically you can do all the deals they offer right now, but your obligation years add up for each program you sign on. I don't know a whole lot about this new program though

I think it's every 18 months. Correct me if I am wrong

Who do I talk to about this program?

Let me get this straight...I am entering medical school in a few weeks as an MSI...if I was part of this program they would pay me as an AD O-1 while in school and as an O-2 for MSIII & IV?

Is the requirement then 8 years for 4 years of school 4 years residency? are you paid as AD during residency?

This is not to be confused with a stipend of any kind. It is salary. They are only taking 200 people nationwide, and I don't mean per year. Only the first 200 applicants will qualify. It is a 1:1 committment not to be confused with the 2:1 for the stipend. If you sign up for the stipend, my understanding is that you will be disqualified for the ADSW billet. Tuition is not covered, but there is a rumor that the loan repayment may go up to $250K in the near future. Don't quote me on that, I'm probably gonna catch hell for mentioning it, but the source is reliable. The Guard has not been able to compete with HPSP for medical & dental students, and I think the gloves are off.

PM me & I will give you contact info.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this program seems to only make sense if you don't have an insanely high COA, like some of us do. My COA for 2nd year is over $60K. It seems like a raw deal to take on AD obligation and also borrow significant money, for a few thousand a month and some side benefits. You suggest that there will be a loan repayment feature, but I wouldn't recommend relying on any promises, unless they are written down at the time of commitment. Things can and do change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this program seems to only make sense if you don't have an insanely high COA, like some of us do. My COA for 2nd year is over $60K. It seems like a raw deal to take on AD obligation and also borrow significant money, for a few thousand a month and some side benefits. You suggest that there will be a loan repayment feature, but I wouldn't recommend relying on any promises, unless they are written down at the time of commitment. Things can and do change.

I thought about this, but my COA is just about $22,000. It seems to me that this is a better deal than HPSP, at least financially.

I thought about this, but my COA is just about $22,000. It seems to me that this is a better deal than HPSP, at least financially.

Yeah, it might be a better deal than the HPSP, if you have a low COA. For me the HPSP is the better deal, since it covers full tuition and mine is pretty astronomical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't misunderstand me. I am strictly opposed to anyone joining the military just for the money. I'm a 39 year old husband & father, & I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve as a commissioned officer in the U.S. military on active duty (my post is my school) during a time of war. I am eager to be deployed so that I can protect the lives of American service men & women and those of our allies. As a 1st year med student however, I'm just a NUB (non useful body). My duty is to succeed in medical school & residency so that I can be of greater value to my country later. :thumbup:

I did not know about this program when I started school. I just planned on being $250K in debt when I finished. My COA is about $50K/year, but there is about $8K/year in scholarship for the PA Guard, which isn't much. When I remove the health insurance for a family of 4 ($1000/month civilian, free on ADSW), the housing allowance ($900/month, non-taxable), the subsistence allowance ($200/month, non-taxable), the basically half price auto insurance, the life insurance, space-A travel, etc, and add in the $75K bonus (after grad), followed by the loan repayment (currently $50K but the word is that it is going up to $250,000), yeah it's worth it. The active duty obligation is to show up & succeed in medical school. However, I do intend to go as far as I can in the Guard. The promotions happen really fast; O3 at graduation, 4 years later - O4, 4 years after that - O5, followed by O6 another 4 years down the road. I don't know how it works in the regular Army, but that's how it goes in the guard for docs. I plan to retire as a Colonel.

The big deal for anyone planning on going into a higher paying specialty like me (gas), you won't have to put in 4 years of post-residency active duty at the O-3/O-4 paygrade. For example; active duty gas passers in the military currently make about as much as a civilian FP doc, which isn't bad. But if your twin, the civilian gas passer, is earning $300K+/year with good benefits, he/she will earn perhaps $800K more than you over those 4 years.

So the way I see it, that's around $50K more during med school, $55K more bonus, the same pay during residency (STRAP program), + $800K total over 4 years after that. So I think an extra $900,000 because of the Guard is a better deal.

Well, do what makes sense for you. However, I would argue that it is the "best military deal ever." It would depend on the individual and his or her circumstances. I'm glad you found a match for you and appreciate you for sharing the offer.

Nobody should join the military for "just the money." Nevertheless, it would be wise to do what is financially prudent, whatever that ends up being for you. Money is always a consideration.

I'm not the most directly informed individual with regard to military affairs, but all my AD friends who have deployed tell me that it was perhaps one of the worst experiences of their lives. War isn't kind. I wouldn't personally be so eager to deploy, given all the stories I've heard. I still have buddies that duck everytime a door closes because it sounds like a 60mm shell to them. However, I do see it as my duty to serve my country and will gladly go forth with my best effort, should I be selected to do so. I want to help those in harms way. But even so, I do not long for war or for deployment.

The active duty billet is only while in medical school, and your assigned post is your school. After that, it's only 1 weekend every 3 months. I too, do not long for war, but I have decided to answer the call to serve.

If you want to do HPSP, there's no duty while in med school followed by active duty residency and then another 4 years active duty during which time you could be deployed for a very long time. The Guard isn't for everyone, but you'll make/save a lot more money if you are fortunate enough to be one of the 200 selectees. Please don't take my word for it, PM me if you wish & I'll put you in contact with people that can better explain it if you become interested. Be well.

Well, do what makes sense for you. However, I would argue that it is the "best military deal ever." It would depend on the individual and his or her circumstances. I'm glad you found a match for you and appreciate you for sharing the offer.

Nobody should join the military for "just the money." Nevertheless, it would be wise to do what is financially prudent, whatever that ends up being for you. Money is always a consideration.

I'm not the most directly informed individual with regard to military affairs, but all my AD friends who have deployed tell me that it was perhaps one of the worst experiences of their lives. War isn't kind. I wouldn't personally be so eager to deploy, given all the stories I've heard. I still have buddies that duck everytime a door closes because it sounds like a 60mm shell to them. However, I do see it as my duty to serve my country and will gladly go forth with my best effort, should I be selected to do so. I want to help those in harms way. But even so, I do not long for war or for deployment.

:thumbup: USAF ****ed up.

Hey MaximusD,

It's nice to see you. What does...

:thumbup: USAF ****ed up.

...Mean? Are you still going USAF? I do wish the Army Guard had F-16s, flight surgeon would be slick!

do you have to go to class in ACU's every day?? hehe... doesn't sound like a bad deal overall.

The policy regarding uniform wear for the ADSW guys in med school doesn't seem to have been established yet. You certainly can but whether or not you have to is kinda up to your chain of command. You are technically on active duty, so it seems to me to be appropriate. I wear my uniform to school 2 or 3 times a week because it's a lot more practical than the LECOM dress code.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am strictly opposed to anyone joining the military just for the money. I'm a 39 year old husband & father, & I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve as a commissioned officer in the U.S. military on active duty (my post is my school) during a time of war. I am eager to be deployed so that I can protect the lives of American service men & women and those of our allies. As a 1st year med student however, I'm just a NUB (non useful body). My duty is to succeed in medical school & residency so that I can be of greater value to my country later. :thumbup:QUOTE]

my god..if this guy only knew...I'm just waiting for BD, IWO, and the like to chime in:laugh::smuggrin:

Hey,

I'm an MS-1 at UAB and joining this program. Seems like a fantastic deal, especially considering I'd been wanting to do some kind of service anyway. Additionally, I'm considering doing the MSTP, and I was informed by recruiter that even though this program only last 3 years, something could certainly be worked out.

Does anyone know if people who join are eligible for any of the national guard sign-up incentives, or are these just for enlistees?

http://www.military.com/recruiting/...y-national-guard-bonus-and-incentive-overview

Thanks,
Evan
MS-1
UASOM

Does anyone have a link to a Nat Guard website that describes this program? I can only imagine some poor student walking into the recruiter's office and the recruiter not even knowing that this program exists.

Does anyone have a link to a Nat Guard website that describes this program? I can only imagine some poor student walking into the recruiter's office and the recruiter not even knowing that this program exists.

I could not find it on the ANG web site. I guess it is so new that they haven't started advertising it yet.

If you are interested in the program, PM me & I'll get you all of the info you want.

don't go to your regular recruiter! they probably won't know about it. you'll need to talk to an officer recruiter. I had a 1LT that I worked with.

I'd think about looking up the Medical Command for the state you want join. Call and whoever answers the phone ask them who the physican/resident/medical student recruiter is.

don't go to your regular recruiter! they probably won't know about it. you'll need to talk to an officer recruiter. I had a 1LT that I worked with.

Agreed...they don't know ANYTHING about doc incentives...and certainly don't know anything about the ADSW program.

They will probably try to get you to enlist as a private or something :laugh:

:laugh: So true. Back in 1987, I was 18 years old & had seen "Top Gun" probably six times. I went to the Navy recruiter to enquire about the qualifications needed to become a naval aviator & was told by a Master chief, no lie, that to become a pilot in the US Navy, I would need at least a masters degree in engineering with a 4.00 GPA. But there were plenty of positions for which I was better qualified if I would just sign here. DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE! Only deal with AMEDD officer recruiters.

Agreed...they don't know ANYTHING about doc incentives...and certainly don't know anything about the ADSW program.

They will probably try to get you to enlist as a private or something :laugh:

That's exactly what happened to me when I went in the first time. The enlisted recruiter tried to get me to enlist as a corpsman. I have two master's degrees and am working on my doctorate. WTF?!! Does he think I got to where I am now by being a total ******? Maybe next the military can recruit some lawyers to become MPs, or maybe find some engineers who want to haul ordinance around on an aircraft carrier as an E-4. I told the guy to hook me up with the Med officer recruiter or I'm friggin' walking out the door.

The sad part is, I'm educated enough not to be taken in by their BS. But the naive 18-year old walking in the door? That poor kid is going to get hosed. Probably fill the poor kid's head with "hey, enlist now and show the Navy that's you are officer material and you'll be off to OCS and flying jets in no time!"

A year from now he's painting over the tractor-tire marks on the side of the ship, thinking; "When do I get to hook up with Kelly mcgillis?" +pity+

That's exactly what happened to me when I went in the first time. The enlisted recruiter tried to get me to enlist as a corpsman. I have two master's degrees and am working on my doctorate. WTF?!! Does he think I got to where I am now by being a total ******? Maybe next the military can recruit some lawyers to become MPs, or maybe find some engineers who want to haul ordinance around on an aircraft carrier as an E-4. I told the guy to hook me up with the AMEDD recruiter or I'm friggin' walking out the door.

Yeah man, I was only half joking when I said it cause it happened to me. I went in as a senior in college with a 4.0 GPA and med school acceptance in hand to ask about HPSP. I kid you not, he goes "Oh you're interested in medicine, we could get you commissioned today as a medic...". I actually laughed at him and left...never to return to anyone but officer recruiters.

hey guys is this program for those who are already enrolled in med school, or you can apply for it at the same time that you're applying to med schools? i think this program is much better than hpsp, but if it's not available i would still consider hpsp. and i just took mcat yesterday and am about to start filling out amcas. thanks.

You have to have an acceptance letter (to medical/dental/PA school) in hand to be eligible. I believe HPSP has the same requirement. Good on ya.

You have to have an acceptance letter (to medical/dental/PA school) in hand to be eligible. I believe HPSP has the same requirement. Good on ya.

You can be offered the scholarship without a letter of acceptance, but you will not fully enter the program until you have one.

You can be offered the scholarship without a letter of acceptance, but you will not fully enter the program until you have one.

Is this also the case with HPSP? I'd ideally like to get the ball rolling on the whole process so i can get myself a guaranteed OIS spot early. I think id prefer to not deal with doing it during/after med school.

Is this also the case with HPSP? I'd ideally like to get the ball rolling on the whole process so i can get myself a guaranteed OIS spot early. I think id prefer to not deal with doing it during/after med school.

I was speaking of HPSP. (sorry for the confusion) You would need your LOA prior to getting orders for ODS, but you could call to save a spot.