Best MSK fellowship for sports imaging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm very interested in sports medicine imaging. Are there any MSK fellows here or people who have done MSK fellowship that know if there are certain programs that are more geared towards this aspect of MSK radiology? I'm only an R1 so I have time to look around. I'd just like to get an idea or hear more on the topic from people who have chosen this path and could share some insight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is subjective and a moving target. Best sports imaging fellowship really doesn't exist. Faculty move around. Practices change. Contracts get lost or acquired. I'll list a few reputable programs, but it's just something to keep in mind. Even these reputable programs have flaws. It's up to you if the pros outweigh the cons.

In no particular order:
- Jefferson
- NYU
- HSS
- MGH
- UVA
- MIR
- UWisc
- UMich
- UCSD

These also happen to be among the more competitive places to get into. Personally, I think you can get great sports imaging training at most university settings and going to one of the above places isn't a necessity. To each their own.

Reactions: 1 users
HSS no bueno?

HSS does high end sports imaging and are good at what they do. The program has several flaws, which if you interview there or ask around, will become apparent. But so does Jefferson. So does Wisconsin. So does UVA. And so on.

There's no perfect training program. Just a number of good places with strengths and weaknesses. You'll have to decide which ones are a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
HSS no bueno?
I trained in NYC 2008-2012 so this info may be outdate. HSS had some malignant personalities and apparently one prominent attending there had the fellow observe more than actually dictate studies. Things may have changed but regardless I'm sure if you are self-motivated, you can get what you need from most programs

Your information is not outdated. HSS has become even more malignant towards fellows within the past couple of years.

I know it's not going to get any love here, but the MSK fellowship at UT Houston sees high volume of sports related injuries, including to professional athletes.

Hard to imagine any program topping Jefferson when it comes to sports imaging. They currently read for pretty much all of the local professional athletes including the Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, and Flyers. Emory seems to have a similar stronghold on the local teams in Atlanta handling the Falcons, Hawks, Braves (and more). While HSS has the Knicks and Nets, Giants, and Rangers plus they are the official imaging center for the US Olympic team, the historically lower degree of fellow autonomy puts them under Jeff IMO.

This is not all to say that reading out a few MRIs for professional athletes over the course of a year is paramount to good sports imaging training. Most of the other big names which have previously been mentioned in this thread are reading for the local D1 college and/or have a lot of other big orthopedic groups funneling into the system. But these departments that have built a good reputation and developed the trust of pro sports franchises are clearly doing something right.

Reactions: 1 user