Best OMS pocket reference book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteotomy01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your best pocket refs/reads?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot of different references based on what you're looking for.

For starters, OMFS Secrets is a really good quick reference. So is the Resident Handbook put out by AAOMS.

The other two that probably every resident has on them are Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference and some form of drug reference (I really like the new Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia)

There's a lot of different references based on what you're looking for.

For starters, OMFS Secrets is a really good quick reference. So is the Resident Handbook put out by AAOMS.

The other two that probably every resident has on them are Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference and some form of drug reference (I really like the new Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia)

Secrets and Maxwells are definitely handy, have used and love both. Never bought the handbook from AAOMS and was considering if Laskin's Clinician's Handbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery was a better pocket ref. That Tarascon pharm book sounds like an excellent coat book and will be picking it up.

For any of the other res looking to add a book to their library, Amazon has a coupon right now "BOOKDEAL" for 30% off any one book (up to $10)--expires in a day!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any OMFS residents who started this year (july 2013) ever receive AAOMS's Resident Handbook? I heard that when you matriculate into a program, they send you one free?

same question: I heard that when you matriculate into a program, they send you one free? thank you
b8em6w

Did any OMFS residents who started this year (july 2013) ever receive AAOMS's Resident Handbook? I heard that when you matriculate into a program, they send you one free?

If this is true, who do I contact if I didn't receive a copy?

I got a paperback version in the mail before I started residency. Our current interns got digitally protected ebook versions. No option for paperback.

Yea...I was really looking forward to getting my copy of the book when I started this year but it never happened. We got a digital copy that required it being read on BlueFire or some crap like that. I emailed the person who sent out the confirmation and his quote (back in July) was basically that they're in the process of making a 3rd edition that should be released "soon" so everyone was going to get a digital 2nd edition and physical 3rd edition when it was finally completed.

About a month or two ago, I got another email "confirming my purchase and download" of the handbook, so I got really excited. When I opened it...2nd edition again. Haha.

I just got a paperback 3rd edition in the mail today, nice timing by AAOMS :)

Both of my co-residents got theirs.

I'm still waiting =( haha