Best Path Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

utlonghornalum27

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am a 25 year old graduate of the Biomedical Engineering program at UT - Austin. Recently, I have reconsidered my career path and am trying to best determine may path forward as I begin the application process for med school.

My uGPA is a 3.34
I have not taken the MCAT.

While I have taken most of the prereqs during my time in the undergrad program, I am not sure if my BME classes will fulfill the other prerequisites since they are not technically classified as BCMP. Ultimately, I am not sure if the best option is to (1) pursue a post-bacc program and take the upper division science classes, (2) take the MCAT and pursue a SMP program or (3) take the MCAT and try to apply to medical school before considering options 1 or 2.

Thanks
 
Hi,

I am a 25 year old graduate of the Biomedical Engineering program at UT - Austin. Recently, I have reconsidered my career path and am trying to best determine may path forward as I begin the application process for med school.

My uGPA is a 3.34
I have not taken the MCAT.

While I have taken most of the prereqs during my time in the undergrad program, I am not sure if my BME classes will fulfill the other prerequisites since they are not technically classified as BCMP. Ultimately, I am not sure if the best option is to (1) pursue a post-bacc program and take the upper division science classes, (2) take the MCAT and pursue a SMP program or (3) take the MCAT and try to apply to medical school before considering options 1 or 2.

Thanks
Contact AMCAS and AACOMAS to determine if your pre-reqs count.
then, if they do not, chose (1) to get them out of the way.

If they do, either an SMP OR a DIY post-bac are fine.

Do not do (3).