Best Path Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghornalum27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 25 year old graduate of the Biomedical Engineering program at UT - Austin. Recently, I have reconsidered my career path and am trying to best determine may path forward as I begin the application process for med school.

My uGPA is a 3.34
I have not taken the MCAT.

While I have taken most of the prereqs during my time in the undergrad program, I am not sure if my BME classes will fulfill the other prerequisites since they are not technically classified as BCMP. Ultimately, I am not sure if the best option is to (1) pursue a post-bacc program and take the upper division science classes, (2) take the MCAT and pursue a SMP program or (3) take the MCAT and try to apply to medical school before considering options 1 or 2.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a 25 year old graduate of the Biomedical Engineering program at UT - Austin. Recently, I have reconsidered my career path and am trying to best determine may path forward as I begin the application process for med school.

My uGPA is a 3.34
I have not taken the MCAT.

While I have taken most of the prereqs during my time in the undergrad program, I am not sure if my BME classes will fulfill the other prerequisites since they are not technically classified as BCMP. Ultimately, I am not sure if the best option is to (1) pursue a post-bacc program and take the upper division science classes, (2) take the MCAT and pursue a SMP program or (3) take the MCAT and try to apply to medical school before considering options 1 or 2.

Thanks
Contact AMCAS and AACOMAS to determine if your pre-reqs count.
then, if they do not, chose (1) to get them out of the way.

If they do, either an SMP OR a DIY post-bac are fine.

Do not do (3).