Best PCAT study guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatypho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which PCAT study guide you think would be the most useful/helpful? I am planning to take the PCAT in january 2010.

so far, Dr. Collins study guide seems to be more popular compared to Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan doesn't prepare you for the PCAT, it prepares you for the MCAT..... which is actually good because you end up walking into the PCAT exam eerily shocked at how easy it is.

I primarily used the audio learn cd's. I barely used the Kaplan or other books (maybe 3 hours max) and did pretty well on the PCAT. I listened to the CDs over and over while working and driving. I think they are worth it, although they aren't cheap.

Diastole and some other folks swear by the Pearson books, but I stuck by Kaplan and I am very satisfied with my PCAT. Of course, the study book/guide you use is only one variable that will affect your performance on the PCAT, so don't hang your hat of success on the PCAT on whatever aid you choose to employ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Diastole and some other folks swear by the Pearson books, but I stuck by Kaplan and I am very satisfied with my PCAT. Of course, the study book/guide you use is only one variable that will affect your performance on the PCAT, so don't hang your hat of success on the PCAT on whatever aid you choose to employ.

I swear by the Pearson online tests. I thought that being able to see a pretty accurate version of the PCAT was extremely valuable and helped me correct some misconceptions about what would be tested. I was a Kaplan user myself with some supplemental materials where Kaplan was lacking.

I haven't seen Dr. Collins though. I hear good things about it but the Kaplans book is much cheaper.

I primarily used Kaplan's PCAT guide. I did fairly well despite not having taken most of my biology classes in 4+ yrs.

Like Diastole, I also paid for the Pearson's online tests. They were quite helpful showing what I needed to improve on etc. I did have an issue with time with the real test because I had to spend some time bubbling in answers, whereas the online test you answer with a simple click.

Cliffs 5 Practice PCAT book is an excellent resource. It is structured like the PCAT and includes lots of practice questions.

I also recommend ExamKrackers MCAT prep books for each individual subject. If you need additional practice, they have supplemental books with 1,000 questions/answers. Some of the questions in these books are more involved or convoluted than you would find in a PCAT, but what's wrong with over preparation?

I primarily used the audio learn cd's. I barely used the Kaplan or other books (maybe 3 hours max) and did pretty well on the PCAT. I listened to the CDs over and over while working and driving. I think they are worth it, although they aren't cheap.
does the cd come with book ?

I swear by the Pearson online tests. I thought that being able to see a pretty accurate version of the PCAT was extremely valuable and helped me c
random.gif
orrect some misconceptions about what would be tested. I was a Kaplan user myself with some supplemental materials where Kaplan was lacking.

I haven't seen Dr. Collins though. I hear good things about it but the Kaplans book is much cheaper.

That's what a friend of mine used, and was generally satisfied.

Hey there,
do you still have those cds? i would really be interested on buying them.. please let me know..

I found Kaplan to be rather lacking in terms of math prep, it was very good for chem and bio though.

I agree with the above post, except that I studied the Biology section the most and still feel like it was my weakest subject.

And you're definitely recommended to find a different source for studying for the math portion. Kaplan gave it all of like 15 pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys think its a good idea that I am just reading and going over my old chem and bio textbooks instead of one of those actual Pcat prep books? or is it better to buy one of those to study off of?

do you guys think its a good idea that I am just reading and going over my old chem and bio textbooks instead of one of those actual Pcat prep books? or is it better to buy one of those to study off of?

obviously reading an actual text book will be more thorough than a PCAT prep book, which can be good if you have tons of free time on your hands, but if not it can be overwhelming. also don't forget that its not just general chem and bio. its general chem and organic chem, as well as general bio, anatomy/physiology, microbio, and some immunology and genetics. not to mention the math, verbal, reading, and writing sections.

Hi,

could you please let us know where we can buy the CD from. Thank you!!!:)

Which book do you guys think prepares you best for the Biology section??? And do you guys think using the ExamKracker's MCAT Biology book will cover all the bio-subjects in the PCAT?

Which book do you guys think prepares you best for the Biology section??? And do you guys think using the ExamKracker's MCAT Biology book will cover all the bio-subjects in the PCAT?

The Kaplan book....very detailed biology. Majority of the pages....

If you order it off of amazon with 2 day shipping (if you have prime) comes pretty fast. Not sure how much detail the MCAT book goes into but the PCAT one already does that for the material we need to study.