Best President for Podiatry

Started by spooge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Who do you think will be the best president/vice president for Podiatry?

  • McCain/Palin

    Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Obama/Biden

    Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Selma Hayeck

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Shakira

    Votes: 4 6.2%

  • Total voters
    65
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha not necessary for black panthers or any radical group to stand outside of a polling place with a night stick.
:laugh: Yeah. I especially like the part in the video where the guy with the club is asked what he is doing there and he says "Uh, security." I am glad that when I went in to vote I didn't have to worry about any "security." I didn't even have to deal with a long line. I was in and out in 15 minutes. I hope that everyone gets out and votes today, no matter who they choose.
 
god bless this country lets all get ready to fully support BARACK OBAMA the next president of the united states of america!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Iam in love with America. irrespective of politics,elections,etc we showed the world that in america one can become whatever he wants. It doesnt matter what color, what religion, what economic status you have. as long as one has the spirit and hardwork, he can write his own destiny in this great country of ours. God bless America!
 
im so excited to see that America is finally ready to positively represent itself in this world! change really can happen....we have witnessed a revolution of values and ideas it has been a transformation of American politics and will have unbelievable influence on the rest of the world...THANK GOD...the better man clearly won!
 
Obama is one man, and his expectations are unreal. Any US president's are. I wish him success.

I think it's great that some people are energized by Barack Obama, but let's realize what a president is and what it is not. He can't fix the credit score of someone just because they think he is the savior. He can't give a good, steady job or an educational degree to those who won't put in the work to get it. Most of all, he can't print money or get quality healthcare by underpaying doctors. You don't get something for nothing, no matter what some may want to believe...

My greatest fear is that a military or national security issue could quickly undo BHO's public support. As much flack as the Bush administration has taken, they have kept us safe and protected our freedoms. Obama faces the challenge of doing the same. America needs a leader, not just a cheerleader. Obama's track record in the federal government is basically nonexistant, and time will tell which he proves to be.

[youtube]yS4yf723kmY[/youtube]
 
Last edited:
Obama is one man, and his expectations are unreal. Any US president's are. I wish him success.

I think great that some people are energized by Barack Obama, but let's realize what a president is and what it is not. He can't fix the credit score of someone just because they think he is the savior. He can't give a good, steady job or an educational degree to those who won't put in the work to get it. Most of all, he can't print money or get quality healthcare by underpaying doctors. You don't get something for nothing, no matter what some may want to believe...

My greatest fear is that a military or national security issue could quickly undo BHO's public support. As much flack as the Bush administration has taken, they have kept us safe and protected our freedoms. Obama faces the challenge of doing the same. America needs a leader, not just a cheerleader. Obama's track record in the federal government is basically nonexistant, and time will tell which he proves to be.

Dood people dont care abt all other stuff if there own houses are getting foreclosed and jobs are being lost. Iam a conservative and iam not gonna say who i voted for. but had obama won like by a narrow majority i would have agreed with your point.

but obama won in republic states with a good majority. that means even the conservative people (like u and me) were also forced and depressed by the sorry state of economy, expensive war, etc etc.

I dont knw whose fault it is abt economy or whether the war is now ending or winning. but seeing from my experience in elections in India. people always blame the ruling govt for their miseries irrespective of whose fault it is. I feel mccain/palin lost because of anti-iccumbency factor thanks to Mr.bush's low approval rating :-(. but then again i hve no complaints because i feel the whole country has spoken and obama won by landslide which means the majority of people want him 🙂


I think Mccain stood at a wrong time and a wrong place. he lost only bcoz of last administration's misdeeds and not bcoz of his own qualities or defects. may god bless him for his service. and may god bless obama and fulfill all his desires abt making our economy good again.
 
Thank you Feli!!! It always happens that I read through this thread and see all those who support this new socialism, but then I hit your posts. They are the only ones that make sense.
Do any of you remember Pogs? They were the biggest fad back in the day. Everyone would go to the store and buy them because that was the cool thing to do. Everyone that was hip would buy pogs. Thus we come to Obama. You can draw the connection.
Best of Luck to Obama. I am sure at least some good will come of his presidency. I will support him as he will be my president despite my disagreements.
 
Obama is one man, and his expectations are unreal. Any US president's are. I wish him success.

I think it's great that some people are energized by Barack Obama, but let's realize what a president is and what it is not. He can't fix the credit score of someone just because they think he is the savior. He can't give a good, steady job or an educational degree to those who won't put in the work to get it. Most of all, he can't print money or get quality healthcare by underpaying doctors. You don't get something for nothing, no matter what some may want to believe...

My greatest fear is that a military or national security issue could quickly undo BHO's public support. As much flack as the Bush administration has taken, they have kept us safe and protected our freedoms. Obama faces the challenge of doing the same. America needs a leader, not just a cheerleader. Obama's track record in the federal government is basically nonexistant, and time will tell which he proves to be.

I'm getting my check book ready for the big fat check I have to write to the IRS soon. Hopefully when my wealth is redistributed it can help those with no jobs or who have overextended their credit and "need" the money.
 
Obama landslide wowwwwwwww! 👍 I'm glad that banner is finally gone...it was difficult looking at that intelligent Palin everyday. Now she can go back to the tundra and never be heard from again
 
Let's just hope that the hundreds of Billions we save by ending the war doesn't get tacked on to the already (most recent figure I saw) $338 BILLION we spend on illegal immigrants every year (food, housing, education, healthcare, etc.)...who am I kidding of course that figure will go up with a socialist in office. Glad to see I will be redistributing my wealth to people who aren't even citizens in my own country.
 
sure glad the ppl on here are super duper positive...what a joke

A lot of pre-pods post here concerned about how much money they'll make. You can remember your vote yesterday when your net income decreases since you will one day be "rich" making over $250k - not that your $200k in student loans matters, since you make too much money to qualify for interest deductions.

Not only that, but Obama intends to remove the social security cap for income as well. Currently, if you make more than $104k, the income after $104k does not have SS taken out of it - that's like an extra $600 a paycheck for me starting in July. But under Obama, $104k is "rich" too and you will pay SS throughout.

The problem was this socialist (wealth distribution) appeal to 95% of the population who feels like they won the lottery under Obama. College students and perhaps pod students fall into this category too - and maybe "drank the Kool Aid". If you don't make any money, it's easy to classify the "rich" as the enemy and vote for the socialist.

But in reality, the rich and middle class (myself) are the only one's who pay taxes in this country. And now we'll pay more.

An analogy was brought up to me yesterday. If you make a 4.0 GPA and your friend makes a 2.0 GPA and the teacher tells you to give your friend a 1.0 - making you both 3.0 - is that fair? No, you worked hard for your 4.0 and your friend slacked off. The same is true. I worked hard for 11 years in college and residency and now put in 12 hour days and call time. But I owe it to everyone else who doesn't work so hard?

Attn: The net income of podiatrists just decreased (by about $12k per year) after last night's election. Congratulations.
 
...The problem was this socialist (wealth distribution) appeal to 95% of the population who feels like they won the lottery under Obama...
...If you don't make any money, it's easy to classify the "rich" as the enemy and vote for the socialist.

But in reality, the rich and middle class (myself) are the only one's who pay taxes in this country. And now we'll pay more...
Agreed^
What I don't get is why people think it's no problem to tax the rich more.

Even assuming a flat tax of 20% fed and 5% state to keep things basic, here's the math:
$100k guy pays $25k, $20k guy pays $5k... so $100k guy pays five times as much.
Does the former citizen use the roads, the police, or the public schools five times as much? Does the military protect him five times as much as the latter? No, but he pays it anyways.

...Now, we decide the $100k guy should not only pay the original tax of five times as much, but he should pay maybe six or eight times as much. "He can afford it," right??? But wait... we're not done yet: in addition, Mr. $20k is in "poverty," so we'll give him tons of tax breaks and social services. Between tax deductions and govt programs, he probably gets more govt money than he ever paid in the first place. The nearly one third of America who doesn't pay any taxes obviously is also getting a whole lot of something for nothing. To a lot of yesterday's voters, that sounds pretty good.

What economic socialism basically does is take away incentive to be successful. By educating yourself and gaining higher income, you will be taxed to death. In addition, with extemsive govt control of industries and widespread "cost management" to make services accessible to so many people who pay minimal or no taxes, the educated and skilled working class will also make less income. Wow... double bonus. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obama landslide wowwwwwwww! 👍 I'm glad that banner is finally gone...it was difficult looking at that intelligent Palin everyday. Now she can go back to the tundra and never be heard from again

We can only hope my friend
 
Agreed^
What I don't get is why people think it's no problem to tax the rich more.

Even assuming a flat tax of 20% fed and 5% state to keep things basic, here's the math:
$100k guy pays $25k, $20k guy pays $5k... so $100k guy pays five times as much.
Does the former citizen use the roads, the police, or the public schools five times as much? Does the military protect him five times as much as the latter? No, but he pays it anyways.

...Now, we decide the $100k guy should not only pay the original tax of five times as much, but he should pay maybe six or eight times as much. "He can afford it," right??? But wait... we're not done yet: in addition, Mr. $20k is in "poverty," so we'll give him tons of tax breaks and social services. Between tax deductions and govt programs, he probably gets more govt money than he ever paid in the first place. The nearly one third of America who doesn't pay any taxes obviously is also getting a whole lot of something for nothing. To a lot of yesterday's voters, that sounds pretty good.

What economic socialism basically does is take away incentive to be successful. By educating yourself and gaining higher income, you will be taxed to death. In addition, with extemsive govt control of industries and widespread "cost management" to make services accessible to so many people who pay minimal or no taxes, the educated and skilled working class will also make less income. Wow... double bonus. 🙁


250K or more you get taxed less than 249.999999K you get no raise of any capital gains tax, income tax, etc...
 
"What I don't get is why people think it's no problem to tax the rich more."

Because if a person has $200 per week then they spend $180 on groceries and gas, then they have $20 left. If a person has $5,000 per week then they spend $180 on groceries and gas, then they have $4,820 left.
 
"The person who has $4820 left earned that money and should not have to redistribute their earned money-they should pay the same percentage in taxes as everyone else."

Sorry, but everyone pays taxes, therefore everyone redistributes the wealth. If poor and wealthy are not redistriburting their wealth, then you receive no loans from uncle sam to go to pod school. I hope you did not take those loans...that would make you a hipocrite...I hope you did not drive to school on any paved road because that would make you a hipocrite...did you receive any mail today? Hipocrite. Did you ever go to a public school? Hipocrite. Or maybe you are the 2% - 5% whose parents could afford it? In that case you must feel like you deserved it and no one else does. I guess you do not believe I should be in Pod School because I cannot fork out the cash upfront? Maybe you deserve to see a doctor but I do not? The secretary that works two jobs and still cannot afford health insurance does not work hard and does not deserve to see a doctor.

"There is no one forcing that person making $200 a week to not get a better job/education-they should have made a better decision in life."

Everyone enjoys being poor and having gas prices go up and their rent increase and their insurance rates go through the roof and get a car accident and not be able to work for a couple months. I understand, everybody chooses to be poor and down on their luck. Everyone who is poor deserves it. Everyone who earns less than $100K per year is lazy. Heck, everyone that earns less than $200K per year shouldnt even be allowed to look at those who make less than them. Not to mention those fools making less than $200K per year deserve to have any kind of liberty. I get it. It is life liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all white males earning more than $200K per year. I get it. No one else deserves anything. The constitution does not cover those making less than $200K per year. I know it is in there somewhere. I get it. Your level of hard work and dedication is always measured by your paycheck. I guess those lazy policemen and firemen, both social programs benefitting from redistributing the wealth, deserve their sub par salaries and not an ounce of your respect. Our soldiers on the front line are in Iraq with suntan lotion, a radio and as much beer as they can drink. I get it. You do not work hard now...you are just in school earning nothing...but you will work hard only when you see your take home check above a certain amount. You will probably coast through residency since you only earn 40 -50 per year. I hear you dont even have to show up.

"There is also no incentive for that person making $200 a week to work harder as they will just suck the government out of money that they didn't earn and don't deserve. "


I just said the person had $200 per week, not earn $200 per week. If you own a home, pay insurance, rent, utilities, phone, repairs and maintenance, car, tithe, and all of the fun things life throws at you, then you can easily end up with $200 per week left for gas and food.

I get it. A person earning $100K per year should pay $23K per year in taxes, and the highschool teacher earning $36K per year should pay $23K per year. I completely understand. That makes complete sense. Why did FDR not think of this when rewriting the tax code in 1929? That is the most fair and upfront way to tax the general population.

I understand. You think people want to be poor. And only those who make beyond a certain amount of money work hard and no one else does. And only those who can afford to see a doctor should be able to. Screw those orphaned kids. They should have made better choices. And that homeless guy that is cripled and lost everything enjoyed having everything taken from him. You could throw some of your money at him and ask if you could kick him. You probably think he deserves it. I get it. You have never been part of the working poor class and you have never seen struggle. You have never had to decide between food and lights or water. You have never been jipped by an insurance company. You probably have never served your country or anyone but yourself. You are probably...23...24...life is bad when your ipod is too full and you have to go buy a new one. I get that you just dont get it.
 
... A person earning $100K per year should pay $23K per year in taxes, and the highschool teacher earning $36K per year should pay $23K per year. I completely understand...
I don't think you understand the concept of a flat tax. It's a %, not a dollar amount. Review my example.

...I understand, everybody chooses to be poor and down on their luck. Everyone who is poor deserves it....
If you don't think there's more opportunity in America than anywhere else in the world, you need to open your eyes.

Student loans, to various extents, are widely available to any non-drug felon citizen who applies. Nothing is stopping the guy at McD's from going to the community college. Some people choose (yes, I say choose) to live in studio apartments, watch TV, and party a lot. It's up to them. Poverty in the US is a joke compared to anywhere else in the world. With minimum wage and living conditions, many other "first world" nations still have what effectively amounts to slavery. If you think America is so mean to poor people, look around.
 
I don't think you understand the concept of a flat tax. It's a %, not a dollar amount. Review my example.

If you don't think there's more opportunity in America than anywhere else in the world, you need to open your eyes.

Student loans, to various extents, are widely available to any non-drug felon citizen who applies. Nothing is stopping the guy at McD's from going to the community college. Some people choose (yes, I say choose) to live in studio apartments, watch TV, and party a lot. It's up to them. Poverty in the US is a joke compared to anywhere else in the world. With minimum wage and living conditions, many other "first world" nations still have what effectively amounts to slavery. If you think America is so mean to poor people, look around.

It seems like you're basing your views on what you read but not what you experience. While I agree that america has more opportunity compared to anywhere else in the world for poor people, i disagree w/ people choosing to stay poor. Poverty is still poverty. I've been to both the tenderloin districts of San Fran and shanty towns of Cambodia... poor is poor. Except in America, there are laws and agencies out there to protect/help the poor. I myself never asked to be born in a ****ty environment...full of drugs and crime... We had nothing..both my parents raised me and my siblings on minimum wage (6.75 while growing up..i dont know what the minimum wage is now)..I had to climb my way out cuz the neighborhood kids weren't goin anywhere except to prison or hell.. College was so much fun cuz I made so much money part time (i know 10 dollars an hour isn't a lot to you but I felt like a king). Long story short, somehow, I survived college and made it to podiatry school.

WIC, goin to public schools my whole life, food stamps, federal pell grants, federal work study, student loans...... these things made my life a little easier growing up.... and gave me the opportunity to pursue the american dream. The way i live now while attending podiatry school compared to how I was living growing up feels like royalty. I am deeply indebted to society...and if I know my tax money will help at least one person out there (someone that was in my shoes while growing up) to pursue the american dream rather than a prison inmate, then take my money uncle sam .....someone out there needs it more than me.
 
You probably have never served your country or anyone but yourself. You are probably...23...24...life is bad when your ipod is too full and you have to go buy a new one. I get that you just dont get it.


ok so i just have to say that your posts are BY FAR the most intelligent non-ignorant/careless/NOT-self-centered on here..I so much enjoy reading what you write keep it all coming! everytime you post its like "CHECKMATE" lol alright thats enough flattery for one post... later
 
Last edited:
I don't think you understand the concept of a flat tax. It's a %, not a dollar amount. Review my example.

If you don't think there's more opportunity in America than anywhere else in the world, you need to open your eyes.

Student loans, to various extents, are widely available to any non-drug felon citizen who applies. Nothing is stopping the guy at McD's from going to the community college. Some people choose (yes, I say choose) to live in studio apartments, watch TV, and party a lot. It's up to them. Poverty in the US is a joke compared to anywhere else in the world. With minimum wage and living conditions, many other "first world" nations still have what effectively amounts to slavery. If you think America is so mean to poor people, look around.


you just dont get it man all you think about is the small percentage of ppl that take advantage of the government run programs and make nothing of themselves....what you epic FAIL to realize is that MOST people ARE hard working sometimes single parents trying to make ends meet...how dare you infer that the majority of working class to poverty stricken individuals are just freeloaders that dont want to amount to anything! I am working class my friend and ill tell you right now I can GUARENTEE I work harder than nearly everyone in my major at my university...40hrs a week 2 clubs, 3.77 gpa to maintain, fraternity, volunteering, and 2 research labs...please PLEASE tell me im a freeloader id love to hear more ingorance and lack of exposure to a hard life...
 
I am deeply indebted to society...and if I know my tax money will help at least one person out there (someone that was in my shoes while growing up) to pursue the american dream rather than a prison inmate, then take my money uncle sam .....someone out there needs it more than me.


its nice to see at least sometimes ppl on here know what they are talking about and have hearts for others....compassion and opportunity for everyone...what a crappy thing to have especially in a profession dedicated to serving others :scared:
 
you just dont get it man all you think about is the small percentage of ppl that take advantage of the government run programs and make nothing of themselves....what you epic FAIL to realize is that MOST people ARE hard working sometimes single parents trying to make ends meet...how dare you infer that the majority of working class to poverty stricken individuals are just freeloaders that dont want to amount to anything! I am working class my friend and ill tell you right now I can GUARENTEE I work harder than nearly everyone in my major at my university...40hrs a week 2 clubs, 3.77 gpa to maintain, fraternity, volunteering, and 2 research labs...please PLEASE tell me im a freeloader id love to hear more ingorance and lack of exposure to a hard life...
Wow, I have never seen anyone mis-interpret what someone is saying as bad as you. Feli's point was about people not trying to make the most out of their situation. By posting all your hard work, you don't fit into that category. That is the point. Some people work hard from a bad situation (ie kmyprimeval), and some people don't. It's the ones who don't try to bring themselves up that make a bad name for those who do. There is nothing wrong with being on food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, etc. Most of the students with families in my class are on at least one of those if not all of them. The problem is when people have no incentive to get off because the government will pay for all they need without them working for it. How you feel that your hard work would make you a freeloader in anyones mind is beyond me😕
 
Wow, I have never seen anyone mis-interpret what someone is saying as bad as you. Feli's point was about people not trying to make the most out of their situation. By posting all your hard work, you don't fit into that category. That is the point. Some people work hard from a bad situation (ie kmyprimeval), and some people don't. It's the ones who don't try to bring themselves up that make a bad name for those who do. There is nothing wrong with being on food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, etc. Most of the students with families in my class are on at least one of those if not all of them. The problem is when people have no incentive to get off because the government will pay for all they need without them working for it. How you feel that your hard work would make you a freeloader in anyones mind is beyond me😕

Is this common for students with fams in podiatric medical school? I never really imagined that professional students would use these services, especially when the spouse is most likely working.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this common for students with fams in podiatric medical school? I never really imagined that professional students would use these services, especially when the spouse is most likely working.
I don't think that it is uncommon. The ones that are on WIC, etc, are typically the ones with kids whose spouses stay home with the kids. If one of the parents works, it is harder to get on WIC. Out of our class of 39 or so, I would guess that around 5-10 get some sort of WIC, food stamps, etc. That is just a really rough guess though. I don't know the true number.
 
its nice to see at least sometimes ppl on here know what they are talking about and have hearts for others....compassion and opportunity for everyone...what a crappy thing to have especially in a profession dedicated to serving others :scared:
The problem that I have with the proposed Obama plans is the extent of his welfare programs. By making these programs so huge by using taxes, it reduces the incentive to work hard for both those paying the higher taxes and those getting the increased benefits. Of course there should be some sort of a program to help those in need, but when that program is extended to nearly 40% of the population (or more if you count in socialized healthcare), it drives down productivity. I applaud Kmyprimeval for wanting to give all his money to help others, but there are charities where you can do that. The govt. shouldn't become that charity.
 
All of my information comes from the website: http://www.atr.org/

Which is the americans for tax reform website.

So are we discussing the flat tax or an even percentage of taxes for everyone? Which taxes apply to this "even" percentage? What is the cut-off mark for the flat tax? What about the flat tax applying to the withholding tax? The website reads like some very key deductions and incentives would be eliminated from the system (e.g. dependents, giving to charity etc.)? Since we are talking about incentives, what would the incentive be for someone under the 15% flat tax plan to earn more than the cut off amount for the flat tax? e.g. If bob knows that the cut off for the flat tax is $30,000 per year, why would he want the job earning $34,500 when he will only take home $30,000? Arent you promoting laziness at the ceilings and floors of these tax plans? We are talking about the lazy poor, so lets talk about the lazy rich. Are you flat taxing those trust funds? How many times? Once? Twice? Every withdrawl? Every year? Every purchase? Some purchases? What about stocks? What about the inheritance of capital? Flat taxing that? The military usually receives a reduction on the amount of taxes they pay, are you holding them to the flat tax? We do not want to leave anyone out? Is the capital gains tax replaced by this flat tax? What about corporate taxes? Do they still receive the benefits of putting of these taxes? The atr website does not seem to suggest that. What about bonds and Tbills? Is this an across the board 15% on everything? Hmmm...I pay 7% sales tax now...I pay in the 17% range for income tax, insurance, depends which one, car insurance has fees but because the state collects part of those and puts it into the public trust I will call it a tax, home insurance...anyone looked at that lately? No tax on food or water. But I can see the benefits in changing that to a flat tax of 15%, so my grocery bill increases to $115 per every $100 I used to pay. My gas tax would go down. Or would it? Is it 15% for the state, and local and tariff taxes on the fuel? Crap, you just increased the overall percentage of taxes on my gasoline from 65% to 70%. Thanks, I appreciate that. And what happened to this theory that the raise in taxes is passed on to the consumer by the corporation? You are flat taxing the corporation who is passing it on to me then flat taxing my purchase. You have flat taxed my energy bill, so it no longer matters how much I use, I just pay a flat rate because the atr website says that utility companies, by law, will not be allowed to pass on any of the taxes to its constituents. So the jerk using twice as much energy as I do will pay the same fee. I think I am repeating someones argument against the step tax system. So, for utility purposes, why should I pay the same fee, when someone is using more electricity and water than I do? I am still in class and have many more questions for the "simplification" and unburdening of the upper-class in this country. More to come.
 
So, I cannot find any form of agreement on the flat tax floor. Anyone have any ideas? The atr site has $30,000 as an example. There are a couple of right wing websites saying $20,000 and some left wing websites throwing around $50,000. Also I have noticed a trend in what is considered income. A few sites do not count inheritance as an income, neither a trust fund, nor dividends from stocks. So, in theory, you can have someone receiving more than $100K per year and not paying anything in the form of taxes until they purchase something. Which lead me to the home I purchased. I cannot imagine the upfront 15% on the purchase and then the property tax of 15%, based on its resale value every year. Dividends drive corporate growth, but how will those be flat taxed? How will the state of florida figure out how much to charge me for driving on the toll road? Would there be a tax that would immediately be taken out of my sunpass account? Since the flat tax is an upfront tax, then how do you asess the value towards payment plans and long term loans like your student loans? More to come. Any response is appreciated.
 
Lets get some quick things straight about "government reliance" on living.

First, Poverty comes from a lack of wages, not from a lack of responsibility. Secondly, the specific welfare plan we are discussing is less than 1% of the national budget. Thirdly, the welfare program is only a permanent program if you are disabled. The welfare rolls are the most dynamic of all the governments programs. Fourthly, the average welfare family is no larger than the average non-welfare family and stays on the roll for an average of five months. Fifthly, the average welfare family in the state of florida receives a massive $866 per month to fund their "extravagant" life style of fun and partying. Sixthly, just for fun, the goverment takes taxes out of all the checks from welfare recipients. Lastly, why do we call giving wallstreet money a "bailout," but if it is a person in need we call it "welfare?"

"nothing is stopping the guy from McD from going to community college"
Just his $7 an hour job that doesnt cover the rent, food, gas, application fee, testing fees...etc.
 
If you own a home, pay insurance, rent, utilities, phone, repairs and maintenance, car, tithe, and all of the fun things life throws at you, then you can easily end up with $200 per week left for gas and food.

That's the problem with America. Not everyone can own a home. Not everyone can own a cool cell phone or a sweet car. But everyone in America thinks they deserve it and wants everything. Whatever happened to saving up for a big purchase? Most americans simply put it on the visa card and get sucked into monthly payments for the rest of their lives. There are very few people who live below their means these days. Doctors, lawyers, etc. are living their lives paycheck to paycheck too. The only difference is how nice their toys are. Raising their taxes hurts them too, they aren't immune.

I get that you just dont get it.

I think its more along the lines that you don't get it.

Do I think everyone in America should have health insurance? Absolutely! Do I think the government should be the means of providing that coverage? No way.

Is the single mom of 3 waiting tables to get by work hard? Yeah of course! Is she working any harder than me? That's up for debate. She may be physically working harder but I am mentally working harder. Most everyone works hard in some way. The point is everyone wants the American dream. Everyone thinks they should have lower taxes but those making more than them can afford to pay more. What if I decide to help that single mom of 3 out by giving her a 2nd job in my office to make more money, now since she wants to work even harder and make more money for her kids the government raises her taxes. The American system is all about wanting people to reach their dream but punishing them when they do.

If I make 200k and pay 10% tax, my tax bill would be 20 grand. The teacher making 30k would pay 10% and thus pay 6k. I still pay a hell of lot more than the teacher but we paid the same percentage. Why should I pay a higher percentage?

Why do people wait on the government for more help? Whatever happened to neighbors helping neighbors?

Sorry for the long and jumping around post but I don't get to post often so I wanted to get it all out there.
 
Though it is impossible to generalize, the state of individuals living in this country, bad or good, is a direct result of the several decisions made by them earlier in life. This is as true for me as it is most of you.

Now, I am all for charity and helping others and I try and do so regularly. However, I fear that we as a country are beginning to teach the individual that people are not responsible to suffer the consequences of their own actions. This is not a lesson that I want my children to learn and will be disastrous for our country.
 
Though it is impossible to generalize, the state of individuals living in this country, bad or good, is a direct result of the several decisions made by them earlier in life. This is as true for me as it is most of you.

Now, I am all for charity and helping others and I try and do so regularly. However, I fear that we as a country are beginning to teach the individual that people are not responsible to suffer the consequences of their own actions. This is not a lesson that I want my children to learn and will be disastrous for our country.

Well stated Jonwill! There is a big difference between those that are less fortunate and working hard to change their situation and those that have made bad decision after bad decision and are looking to the government to make amends for their actions. I am very proud of this country and all that it stands for, but to think that just because we are American we should be guaranteed everything is taking it too far. Since when should individuals that work hard for everything be penalized because they have more? I just don't think that the whole redistribution idea rewards those that have worked hard and achieved goals they once set out to reach. And as for the idea of responsibility...its just too easy for people to place the blame on others, especially those that have made bad decisions.
 
Everyone is talking about how they don't want their wealth redistributed so I just thought i needed to ask the obvious question.

How many of you attendings out there are making more than 250K a year?
How many of you residents are anticipating landing a position where you make more than 250K?

Not looking to start a fight, just asking a question
 
I'm pretty sure everyone is looking for a job that makes 200k+ after residency(not directly after, mind you, but after a few years). That's what we've been working our whole lives for. If you don't want a nice compensation for your years of sacrifice you're nuts.
 
I'm not asking who's striving for it, I'm sure we all are. Heck, even I am. I'm asking which clinicians are in actuality is making 250K and which residents have had offers. Not even 200K, I mean 250K. Also, just to clarify, I mean income, not how much the office brings in or the group practice.
 
I'm sure there are plenty of them out there (maybe not on SDN, who knows). Also, 250K isn't an official figure yet anyway. I've heard Biden is talking 200K or even lower recently.
 
I'm sure there are plenty of them out there (maybe not on SDN, who knows). Also, 250K isn't an official figure yet anyway. I've heard Biden is talking 200K or even lower recently.

Yes, I'm betting the number will end up being much lower than 250K. I've actually heard a few dems talking about numbers as low as 120K. President Obama made a lot of big promises that unfortunately he is not going to be able to keep. The annoying thing is that the press is already starting to make excuses for him.
 
I'm sure there are plenty of them out there (maybe not on SDN, who knows). Also, 250K isn't an official figure yet anyway. I've heard Biden is talking 200K or even lower recently.


That is f-ing crazy. If they do lower the figure to 120K, we might as well start taking part time jobs after residency. 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is f-ing crazy. If they do lower the figure to 120K, we might as well start taking part time jobs after residency. 👎
I wouldn't get too worked up about that happening. The source of that quote is Gov. Bill Richardson of NM. All other sources cite Richardson's one-time statement.

It's questionable if that's what Richardson even meant. His actual quote is below. He says there is a tax cut under $120K but does not actually say taxes will increase for those in between $120K and $250K.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200811030005

RICHARDSON: Well, what Obama wants to do is he is basically looking at $120,000 and under, among those that are in the middle class, and there is a tax cut for those. So I think you do the math. And I don't think even Senator McCain -- I'll give him credit -- he's not proposing to have tax increases for those that don't pay taxes. I think we're talking about those that do pay taxes and the middle class. I think Senator Obama has looked at two income couples. He's trying to broaden the base so that more get those tax incentives that are needed as a way to incentivize the economy because we have a real deficit.

I'm not worried about it. I think it's a case of Fox News and Rush Limbaugh grabbing the ball and running with it. During the next several years while you're in school and Residency, you'll probably benefit.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/spread_the_tax_hooey.html


Edit: According to this article, until you make $603,000 per year your tax bill will either decrease or only increase by $12.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/11/news/economy/candidates_taxproposals_tpc/?postversion=2008061113

In another tax prediction calculator I used, my tax bill would only increase by less than $500. The average income for Podiatrists is around $180K, so I think most of you will get money redistributed to you from the Obama tax plan.
 
Last edited:
Lee, from where does this $12K figure come? I'd like to look into it myself. Thanks.

Nat

Nat,

According to figures from his website, he intends to raise taxes from 35% to 39% on households making 250,000 or more (200k for individuals). If you made 250,000 you would pay an additional $10,000 per year. Also capital gains taxes would be increased from 10% to 15%.

I had used a calculator on the Washington Post site or CNN which asked for specific income, marital status, etc. and gave specific tax liabilities for each candidate. Mine came out to +$12k more taxes on Obama.

Lee
 
Everyone is talking about how they don't want their wealth redistributed so I just thought i needed to ask the obvious question.

How many of you attendings out there are making more than 250K a year?
How many of you residents are anticipating landing a position where you make more than 250K?

Not looking to start a fight, just asking a question

When you consider salary income, speaking fees, consulting fees, and research bonuses, I am.

Most of my attendings in residency and fellowship were 250k+, a few drastically higher at 500k+.

If you position yourself correctly, there's no reason why you shouldn't be 200k+ within 3 years out of residency. The problem I have seen with some of my colleagues is that they don't know how to negotiate and are satisfied with lower salaries out of residency.

If you're salaried, you should expect at least $140k your first year, then depending on production, rapid increases from there.

If you're in private practice, it's up to how hard you work, and how good your billing is. You may only make $100k your first year, but by your 3rd year you might be $250k per year, where your salaried counterparts will be at $170-185k.

What's the difference between millionaires and those making much less? Millionaires work about 4x harder (or as much). If you are prepared to dedicate the time, you will earn the income.

LCR
 
Nat,

According to figures from his website, he intends to raise taxes from 35% to 39% on households making 250,000 or more (200k for individuals). If you made 250,000 you would pay an additional $10,000 per year. Also capital gains taxes would be increased from 10% to 15%.

I had used a calculator on the Washington Post site or CNN which asked for specific income, marital status, etc. and gave specific tax liabilities for each candidate. Mine came out to +$12k more taxes on Obama.

Lee
From what I've found out, that 4% bump (35% to 39%) applies to one's income above 250,000. The income below $250K would not see the increased rate, so it's not as big of a jump as feared. When I first calculated it, I nearly had a heart attack because I came up with a tax increase of $30,000!

I've tried about six different tax calculators I've found online and each one came up with a different estimate (some showing a greater tax bill with Obama and some lesser tax bill with Obama), but regardless Obama's tax plan versus McCain's were all reasonably close (a couple thousand dollars) to one another.

No one knows how much anything will actually change, so it's all hypothetical at this point. I've decided to quit being anxious about it since it's out of my control. I'm just going to adapt where I can when I must.