Best President for Podiatry

Started by spooge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Who do you think will be the best president/vice president for Podiatry?

  • McCain/Palin

    Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Obama/Biden

    Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Selma Hayeck

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Shakira

    Votes: 4 6.2%

  • Total voters
    65
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I'm betting the number will end up being much lower than 250K....
You mean 3% of the population can't pay for everyone? What the...? :laugh:

Anyone who ever believed the "only $250k+ people will see tax increases" campaign BS was born yesterday.
You can't get something for nothing, no matter what some people want to believe.
 
Everyone is talking about how they don't want their wealth redistributed so I just thought i needed to ask the obvious question.

How many of you attendings out there are making more than 250K a year?
How many of you residents are anticipating landing a position where you make more than 250K?

Not looking to start a fight, just asking a question

My tax return for 2007 says [deleted]. I didn't think it could be done, but my group has already made our practice run even more efficiently in response to this economy and in preparation for any upcoming hardship. I added a half day of clinic to my schedule and we may push product and web sales. Even if my tax bill were to go up $12K like Lee calculated, I should be able to make that up. I figure that equates to $1000 per month, or two extra ingrown nail procedures per month than I'm doing now.

You students and Residents think of me next year as my money is being redistributed into your pockets, okay? Ha ha. I'll gladly write my quarterly estimated tax payments if I see the country and world getting back on track.
 
Last edited:
You mean 3% of the population can't pay for everyone? What the...? :laugh:

Anyone who ever believed the "only $250k+ people will see tax increases" campaign BS was born yesterday.
You can't get something for nothing, no matter what some people want to believe.
The question in my mind is, "How much will my taxes increase?" I for one have no problem with paying more taxes if they go towards making this world a better place. I make enough money and can spare a bit. I still don't know the exact amount of my expected new tax bill though. I've used a few different online calculators, but this one seems to get referenced by other websites a lot:
http://www.electiontaxes.com/

When I enter my info it says my tax bill would be the same as McCain's plan would've been. I will anticipate it being slightly more, and other calculators estimated I'd pay about $500 more per year. I'd have to be pretty greedy if I couldn't part with that minimal amount. Even if it were a few thousand more I'd be okay with it. My personal income is a minor issue for me compared to the other, more important issues we face such as military spending, foreign policy, energy, environment, and education. I'll gladly work a little harder and pay a bit more if it means we can dig out of this mess a little bit.

I don't even mind if my extra taxes get redistributed towards you "lazy, deadbeat, non-working" students and Residents. Haw haw.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any one making less than $250K, is lazy or "not smart"
Yes, I was being facetious because that propaganda is what some conservatives were trying to promote before the election. You and I both know that relatively low income (i.e., middle-class income) does not necessarily equate to being lazy or unintelligent.

For some reason a lot of "Joe [fill-in-the-blanks]" bought into it even though they make significantly less than $250K (and in a lot of cases less than $50K). It's puzzling to me why a lot of people complaining about "socialism" and "spreading their wealth" around couldn't grasp that they would actually receive money from the Obama tax plan.

Actually on second thought it's not that puzzling. It's probably because a lot of the under-$250K conservatives listen to Rush Limbaugh and Fox News as their sole source of information and never took the time to read anything from the non-partisan or left-wing press for a contrasting opinion.

Edit: interesting data
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#USP00p1
 
Last edited:
You mean 3% of the population can't pay for everyone? What the...? :laugh:

Anyone who ever believed the "only $250k+ people will see tax increases" campaign BS was born yesterday.
You can't get something for nothing, no matter what some people want to believe.

its actually the top 1.5% or higher...not 3%
 
You and I both know that relatively low income (i.e., middle-class income) does not necessarily equate to being lazy or unintelligent.

seriously you think cops, teachers, firefighters, public servants, social workers, et al are lazy? cause thats pretty mean/childish/funny/pathetic
 
Word up to all your posts on this silly thread. Good to see that there are health care professionals out there that are seeing the big picture.
 
I don't get how everyone has so much faith in Obama's 250k mark...this is the same man that as a senator in Illinois voted to raise taxes for people with incomes just north of 40k per year. The fact that the country is so excited is a great thing but a lot of people are going to be very disappointed when they found out (what economists have been saying all along) that Obama's plans are a little too good to be true.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't get how everyone has so much faith in Obama's 250k mark...this is the same man that as a senator in Illinois voted to raise taxes for people with incomes just north of 40k per year. The fact that the country is so excited is a great thing but a lot of people are going to be very disappointed when they found out (what economists have been saying all along) that Obama's plans are a little too good to be true.
Do not worry. If you are undergrad now, that means that Obama will be out of office by the time you finish Residency, even if he serves two terms. That means that during the next several years, while you make little to no money as a student* and a modest income as a Resident, you stand to make more money off the backs of the truly rich. Obama benefits YOU.

If you (not just dtrack22 but any of you) are someone who ideologically cannot stomach the thought of taking from the rich to give to the poor, then you can always just tear up your refund check each year. I'm betting you will be skipping down to the bank along with the rest of the medical students and Residents out there.

*unless of course you are one of those rare students who make six figures per year already.
 
Last edited:
Do not worry. If you are undergrad now, that means that Obama will be out of office by the time you finish Residency, even if he serves two terms. That means that during the next several years, while you make little to no money as a student* and a modest income as a Resident, you stand to make more money off the backs of the truly rich. Obama benefits YOU.

*unless of course you are one of those rare students who make six figures per year already.
Yeah, but we might also see docs being taxed to death and having only two pay choices by the time Barack + congressional liberals get done:
1) Being paid peanuts for taking care of tons of govt insurance patients
2) Having few, yet decent paying, patients after opting out of the govt plan

I don't think university/pod students stand to have more/less money in their pocket regardless of who is in office. Students usually have no income, or they make so little that whatever they pay in taxes is all refunded anyways. Residents also make relatively little and deduct all student loan interest and training related expenses (gas, conf travel, supplies, eletronics, uniforms, etc), so I'd assume they can pay very very little if they have a halfway decent accountant.

Therefore, I'd gladly take better military protection, better border control, and decent pay/freedom for healthcare providers when I get out into practice. It seems that others are content to risk the future of their profession and country just to (maybe) put a bit more $ in their pockets. JMO...
 
Yeah, but we might also see docs being taxed to death and having only two pay choices by the time Barack + congressional liberals get done:
1) Being paid peanuts for taking care of tons of govt insurance patients
2) Having few, yet decent paying, patients after opting out of the govt plan

"Being taxed to death" might only mean a few hundred bucks to a few thousand bucks. I can afford that, and so will you.

I don't think university/pod students stand to have more/less money in their pocket regardless of who is in office. Students usually have no income, or they make so little that whatever they pay in taxes is all refunded anyways. Residents also make relatively little and deduct all student loan interest and training related expenses (gas, conf travel, supplies, eletronics, uniforms, etc), so I'd assume they can pay very very little if they have a halfway decent accountant.

I agree. Students and Residents make very little money so you will benefit from Obama's tax plan. By the time you do make $250K per year Obama will be out of office and things may be completely different. Who knows? You may as well appreciate it now. As much as I enjoy encouraging you guys, I hate to break it to you but some of you will flounder to even make $100K. You all have the potential to make $250K and up, but not all of you will.

Therefore, I'd gladly take better military protection, better border control, and decent pay/freedom for healthcare providers when I get out into practice.

All questionably better. Again, by the time you get into practice the world may be completely different.

It seems that others are content to risk the future of their profession and country just to (maybe) put a bit more $ in their pockets. JMO...

Are you describing Democrats or Republicans here? I guess it depends on your tax bracket.

The way I see it, there's a whole lot more at stake these days than how much money a podiatrist makes. Big picture is that the world is really, really unstable, and that the country is a giant mess. If we can't stabilize things a little bit, then you all might not have to worry about paying a few hundred or thousand extra bucks each year.

Even when this thread first started, when I read "best President for podiatry" my initial thought was who the hell cares right now??? I'm thinking beyond podiatry and worrying about the state of the world. It's like the house is on fire and we're worried about what clothes to wear.
 
Last edited:
My roommate thinks Obama's great cause now he won't pay income tax. He only makes about 20-something K, so its not alot of money he makes. He has lived on this for over 10 years now. He's too old to go back school, so this is his life. As a student I'm broke but hope to change it.
 
I agree with the last few posts that students will be unaffected by whoever is in office. There is no income and you aren't eligible for whatever welfare system we have in place. To say that Residents will be better of is ignorant IMO. Again, Obama's 250k plan will not generate enough money to cover the expenses of his other proposed plans and if congress continues to spend at the current rates then that puts an even greater strain on the 250k tax plan revenue. I think even libs have come to realize that the 250k cutoff will end up being lower. As for Residents who are earning around 50-60k, you will NOT see any breaks, refunds, etc. on your yearly income tax. A lot of economists are even speculating that your taxes will be higher than they are now and if you look at what Obama has done to alleviate poverty, you'll notice that he has supported numerous tax hikes for the middle class. Sorry, but this dude scares me...I have no problem paying more taxes if my salary is 200k+, however people like my parents (both teachers, with my mom working half time to raise us kids, and 3 kids in college) are most likely going to suffer.
 
I agree with the last few posts that students will be unaffected by whoever is in office. There is no income and you aren't eligible for whatever welfare system we have in place. To say that Residents will be better of is ignorant IMO. Again, Obama's 250k plan will not generate enough money to cover the expenses of his other proposed plans and if congress continues to spend at the current rates then that puts an even greater strain on the 250k tax plan revenue. I think even libs have come to realize that the 250k cutoff will end up being lower. As for Residents who are earning around 50-60k, you will NOT see any breaks, refunds, etc. on your yearly income tax. A lot of economists are even speculating that your taxes will be higher than they are now and if you look at what Obama has done to alleviate poverty, you'll notice that he has supported numerous tax hikes for the middle class. Sorry, but this dude scares me...I have no problem paying more taxes if my salary is 200k+, however people like my parents (both teachers, with my mom working half time to raise us kids, and 3 kids in college) are most likely going to suffer.

Also, I think its 250k for a HOUSEHOLD income. I think it will affect a lot of people, especially if you are married.
 
I have no problem paying more taxes if my salary is 200k+, however people like my parents (both teachers, with my mom working half time to raise us kids, and 3 kids in college) are most likely going to suffer.

In other words, you are okay if a person who makes $200K+ pays more taxes but not okay with middle-income earners paying more taxes? Well then, it sounds as if you agree with Obama as long as he sticks to what he advertised. Time will tell.

I'm expecting to pay more taxes because our President-Elect told me I will pay more taxes, and I'm okay with that.

Here's some interesting exit poll data:

 
I just wanted to say "MAVERICK," "Joe the Plumber," and "Spread the Wealth." I guess I am going through withdrawls. It is the rapid detox phase. Syncope - Nausea - Vertigo - Hyperhidrosis. All of this with delusions of grandeur. There are crazy thoughts about snowmobiling and Palin wearing shorter skirts.
 
In other words, you are okay if a person who makes $200K+ pays more taxes but not okay with middle-income earners paying more taxes? Well then, it sounds as if you agree with Obama as long as he sticks to what he advertised. Time will tell.

I'm expecting to pay more taxes because our President-Elect told me I will pay more taxes, and I'm okay with that.

Personally, I would want the gov't to "cut the fat" prior to asking me for more money. I'm not as willing as you to shell out more cash and hope the world will be a better place.

Same reason why I don't think a single gov't healthcare plan will be good for patients or doctors. Look at the VA system, we all know the stories from our rotations/residencies.

We're going to be in a recession, everyone relies too much on gov't handouts as it is. Let's bail out AIG, AmEx, and now GM?

When will the handouts end and personal responsibility begin. I came from humble beginnings (my single mother was on food stamps), and now after 11 years of hard work and $220k in student loans I'm making good money.

Many other people can make the same progress.

It's one thing to make sure that everyone gets some type of healthcare or food, but when they're buying nice cars, computers, and cell phones - these are not necessities and I'm not happy about financing them for others.

Lee
 
I just wanted to say "MAVERICK," "Joe the Plumber," and "Spread the Wealth." I guess I am going through withdrawls. It is the rapid detox phase. Syncope - Nausea - Vertigo - Hyperhidrosis. All of this with delusions of grandeur. There are crazy thoughts about snowmobiling and Palin wearing shorter skirts.
The Todd says it's "snowmachine, " not snowmobile.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167905/page/3

At the convention in St. Paul, Palin was completely unfazed by the boys'-club fraternity she had just joined. One night, Schmidt and Salter went to her hotel room to brief her. After a minute, Palin sailed into the room wearing nothing but a towel, with another on her wet hair. She told them to chat with her laconic husband, Todd. "I'll be just a minute," she said. Salter tried to strike up a conversation. He knew that Todd was half native Alaskan and a championship snow-machine racer.
"So what's the difference between a snowmobile and a snow machine, anyway?" Salter asked. "They're the same thing," Todd replied. "Right, so why not call it a snowmobile?" Salter joshed. "Because it's a snow machine," came the reply.
 
Personally, I would want the gov't to "cut the fat" prior to asking me for more money. I'm not as willing as you to shell out more cash and hope the world will be a better place.

Same reason why I don't think a single gov't healthcare plan will be good for patients or doctors. Look at the VA system, we all know the stories from our rotations/residencies.

We're going to be in a recession, everyone relies too much on gov't handouts as it is. Let's bail out AIG, AmEx, and now GM?

When will the handouts end and personal responsibility begin. I came from humble beginnings (my single mother was on food stamps), and now after 11 years of hard work and $220k in student loans I'm making good money.

Many other people can make the same progress.

It's one thing to make sure that everyone gets some type of healthcare or food, but when they're buying nice cars, computers, and cell phones - these are not necessities and I'm not happy about financing them for others.

Lee
At least you had a mother. As an illegal alien all I had was a pod and some spores to raise me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding the inevitable $250k tax hike, if you're a business owner, can't you just file yourself as an employee of your company (e.g., "American Podiatry Experts") and pay yourself a salary of, say, $230k?
 
This is what I read - At the convention in St. Paul, Palin was completely unfazed by the STRIP-club she had just joined. One night, SPOOGE went to her hotel room to brief her on her last POLE ROUTINE. After a minute, Palin sailed into the room wearing nothing but a towel, with another on her wet hair. SPOOGE IMMEDIATELY LOST IT. She told HIM to chat with her laconic husband, Todd - SHE DID NOT KNOW SPOOGE LOCKED HIM OUT IN THE COLD. "I'll be just a minute," she said. AS SHE WALKED BACK INTO THE ROOM AND BEGAN WORKING ON HER LAP DANCE ROUTINE. PALIN tried to strike up a conversation.SPOOGE TOLD HER TO BE QUITE BECAUSE HER ACCENT KILLS THE MOOD.
SPOOGE knew that Todd was WAITING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD, BUT SINCE HE IS half native Alaskan and a championship snow-machine racer HE CAN STAND TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES WEARING SHORTS AND A WIFE BEATER. SPOOGE DECIDED TO LET HIM IN-"So what's the difference between a snowmobile and a snow machine, anyway?" SPOOGE asked. "They're the same thing," Todd replied. "Right, so why not call it a snowmobile?" SPOOGE joshed. "Because it's a snow machine," came the reply. SPOOGE REPLIED - "LIKE UNDERWEAR ARE NOW OFFICIALLY CALLED SHART CATCHERS?"
 
This is what I read - At the convention in St. Paul, Palin was completely unfazed by the STRIP-club she had just joined. One night, SPOOGE went to her hotel room to brief her on her last POLE ROUTINE. After a minute, Palin sailed into the room wearing nothing but a towel, with another on her wet hair. SPOOGE IMMEDIATELY LOST IT. She told HIM to chat with her laconic husband, Todd - SHE DID NOT KNOW SPOOGE LOCKED HIM OUT IN THE COLD. "I'll be just a minute," she said. AS SHE WALKED BACK INTO THE ROOM AND BEGAN WORKING ON HER LAP DANCE ROUTINE. PALIN tried to strike up a conversation.SPOOGE TOLD HER TO BE QUITE BECAUSE HER ACCENT KILLS THE MOOD.
SPOOGE knew that Todd was WAITING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD, BUT SINCE HE IS half native Alaskan and a championship snow-machine racer HE CAN STAND TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES WEARING SHORTS AND A WIFE BEATER. SPOOGE DECIDED TO LET HIM IN-"So what's the difference between a snowmobile and a snow machine, anyway?" SPOOGE asked. "They're the same thing," Todd replied. "Right, so why not call it a snowmobile?" SPOOGE joshed. "Because it's a snow machine," came the reply. SPOOGE REPLIED - "LIKE UNDERWEAR ARE NOW OFFICIALLY CALLED SHART CATCHERS?"
Is that a knock on your door? I think Hollywood is calling.
 
apparently Mr.obama appointed Sonal shah(economist) in his transition team. she is a former member of VHP-america. VHP is a radical organization in india which is involved with systematic persecution of christians in india. :-( . even though Sonal Shah came out and denied her involvement. but the officials of VHP-america confirmed her 3yr association with this radical organization. http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/uspolls2008/Election_Story.aspx?ID=NEWEN20080072540&


here are some activities of that grp in India. they are agreesively involved in killing/looting/raping of minorities (christians/muslims/sikhs).

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/c...death-by-rampaging-vhp-mobs-in-orissa/353294/

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/10603.htm

http://christianpersecutionindia.blogspot.com/2008/10/bajrang-dal-vhp-responsible-for-indore.html


Im really disappointed that how can Mr.obama appoint a former member of this organization. 🙁 .
 
Upon founding this nation, George Washington advised that the United States maintain a strong military to maintain peace... but he suggested that we stay out of foreign affairs and alliances whenever possible. I largely agree today.

Obama and his administration are going to make a lot of questionable domestic and foreign policy moves, and that might be because they are going to make too many altogether in the effort of creating a "more global US." Barack has less leadership experience than any president in US history, but he seems convinced that he understands foreign affairs, and I think he's determined to make his mark in diplomacy, "global economy," etc. It will probably be his legacy... for better or for worse.
 
Upon founding this nation, George Washington advised that the United States maintain a strong military to maintain peace... but he suggested that we stay out of foreign affairs and alliances whenever possible. I largely agree today.

Obama and his administration are going to make a lot of questionable domestic and foreign policy moves, and that might be because they are going to make too many altogether in the effort of creating a "more global US." Barack has less leadership experience than any president in US history, but he seems convinced that he understands foreign affairs, and I think he's determined to make his mark in diplomacy, "global economy," etc. It will probably be his legacy... for better or for worse.

George W and Iraq/Afghanistan anyone??? Bueller?
 
Upon founding this nation, George Washington advised that the United States maintain a strong military to maintain peace... but he suggested that we stay out of foreign affairs and alliances whenever possible. I largely agree today.

Obama and his administration are going to make a lot of questionable domestic and foreign policy moves, and that might be because they are going to make too many altogether in the effort of creating a "more global US." Barack has less leadership experience than any president in US history, but he seems convinced that he understands foreign affairs, and I think he's determined to make his mark in diplomacy, "global economy," etc. It will probably be his legacy... for better or for worse.


Sorry man that prize goes to gerald ford
 
It is neither necessary nor sufficient to relate a strong military to its size, or the amount of money spent on it. What makes it strong is the size of the warrior in each of its fighting members. I have typed this before "If you took the Navy in the state of Virginia and got rid of the rest of the US Navy, you would have a Naval force that is seven times larger than the rest of the world's combined Naval Forces." We do not need more money thrown at the military, we need to redistribute money away from building 35 new B-1 bombers and put that money into funding troop training and quality of life. We have purchased missile systems that have no one to operate them. We have tanks that are relatively new that need repairs, but will not fix them because there is no one to drive them. If you took half of the money for the B-1's and put it into recruiting, training, paying, and retaining Marines we would have a more effective force. Most of the aircraft I flew were older than me. The F-14 was retired for the Super Hornet (I have to wipe my leg - that b i t c h can do a back flip). Smart to update our technology, but the 14 and the S2 were pulled 5 years early to fund the new fleet of hornets (one of the contract requirements for the development of the new hornet). This cost many pilots their jobs. It costs 1.4 million to train every pilot in the military. The Navy, and Air Force(F-22) let go 2,000 pilots between 2002 and 2006. The operating buget of this country, either directly or indirectly, devotes nearly 70% to the military and its toys. You could cut that in half and still outspend every country on this planet 5 times over. We throw more money at toys instead of the warriors. This gives us a lot of inefficient programs and projects that only benefit the contractors. This does not benefit the common "joe." I missed saying Happy Birthday to my Marine Corps friends this past Monday. At OCS, every night before Taps we would sing these two great songs. I hear them every time I see a Navy or Marine Corps flag.

Stand, Navy, out to sea, Fight our battle cry;
We'll never change our course, So vicious foe steer shy-y-y-y.
Roll out the TNT , Anchors Aweigh. Sail on to victory
And sink their bones to Davy Jones, hooray!

Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh.
Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day, of day.
Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles
In the air on land and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to bear the title
Of United States Marines.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job --
The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Class Drill Instructor: Prepare to mount. (1,2,3,4,5) Mount RACKS! (1,2,3,4,5) PREEEEEEESENT ARMS! PRAY!
OCS Class:
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
I must fire my rifle true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts, nor the smoke we make.
We know it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life.
Thus, I will learn it as a brother.
I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories,
its sights, and its barrel.
I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage.
I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.
We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God I swear this creed.

My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country.
We are the masters of our enemy.
We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but PEACE.

Class Drill Instructor: ORDER...ARMS! AT EASE. GOOD NIGHT PU$$IE$
OCS Class: GOOD NIGHT SIR!