BEST SMP for PreDents.???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstyller

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Haven't gotten any interviews but 6 rejections (9 more to hear from..), I can't help thinking about SMP..

I have found an amazing list on post-bac forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7567965#post7567965

but my question is..

Is this list also good for predent students???
Seems like all the programs listed here are to help students get into their (and other) MD schools.

Any opinions on that?

MORE importantly..
Any strong SMPs for predent?

Thanks in advance.
Your help will be much appreciated.

Also, Good luck with the rest of this cycle for those getting anxious like me..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to SMPS this year also.
Like you said many of them are geared towards helping their smp students get into medical school. Some schools do have an option to pick between dental and medicine or have a dental school which may familiar with the graduate program. Since many of the medical/dental courses are similar during the first 2 years I don't think it would matter if you applied to a masters program focused on getting their students into medical school. Ultimately its the grades you receive in the program thats going to determine whether it helps or destroys your application. Good luck and if you have any more info keep me posted.

I'm applying to:
UMDNJ
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/academic_programs/masters_programs.htm

BU -Oral Health Sciences Track
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/master-arts-medical-sciences/oral-health-sciences-track/

Midwestern- Masters in Arts (9month program)
http://www.midwestern.edu/az-biomed/

Tulane-CMB
http://cell.tulane.edu/masters.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to SMPS this year also.
Like you said many of them are geared towards helping their smp students get into medical school. Some schools do have an option to pick between dental and medicine or have a dental school which may familiar with the graduate program. Since many of the medical/dental courses are similar during the first 2 years I don't think it would matter if you applied to a masters program focused on getting their students into medical school. Ultimately its the grades you receive in the program thats going to determine whether it helps or destroys your application. Good luck and if you have any more info keep me posted.

I'm applying to:
UMDNJ
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/academic_programs/masters_programs.htm

BU -Oral Health Sciences Track
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/master-arts-medical-sciences/oral-health-sciences-track/

Midwestern- Masters in Arts (9month program)
http://www.midwestern.edu/az-biomed/

Tulane-CMB
http://cell.tulane.edu/masters.htm

Thanks for the responses!

Quick question though,
All of these are one-year programs?

yup all of those are 1 yr programs

Any other good SMPs for predentals besides mentioned above?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Are the SMPs rolling admissions? If so when should you try and submit the apps.

Are the SMPs rolling admissions? If so when should you try and submit the apps.

I believe most of them are. They start acception applications now (starting early ~ late January depending on schools). I'm planning to send apps in 2-3 weeks..

I believe most of them are. They start acception applications now (starting early ~ late January depending on schools). I'm planning to send apps in 2-3 weeks..

Here is a relatively dumb question. I am interested in the MA at Midwestern (9 months) and the MS at Tulane.

My question is are there any SMP programs online?

Thanks in advance for those that take pity on me.

Reactions: 1 user
I am doing the Tulane CMB SMP right now, so if you have any questions fire away.

FYI just in case anyone wasn't aware

SMP - People who have already covered their science requirements but need advanced science classes to prove they can handle Dental school. Here you are awarded a graduate GPA. Also you recieve your MS degree or certificate depending on the program.

Post Bac - Generally for those people coming from a non-science major and need to take the science prereqs. Here your GPA is averaged into your undergrad GPA. No additional degree is awarded.

hey i have a question for jake8. do you apply to dental schools after your smp is over or do you apply the summer after your senior year in college?

cmcner-yes smps are generally rolling admissions, so the earlier the better.

Rdhdds1, hello there...Both the Midwestern MA and Tulane CMB are not online programs. You have to attend the classes.

ScarletKnights-its your call. Depending on what improvements you need, but generally if you do not want to have a lag year between your application and entry in to DS this is what you would do: Apply to Masters programs now, May 15th submit AADSAS, August'09-start masters program, December-update AADSAS with new grades, May-finish masters program, August'10-Enter DS.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Albuterol,

I went to the midwestern page but it doesn't really say anything about a specific date for application deadline, just that classes start in late august. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know much about this program?

hey i have a question for jake8. do you apply to dental schools after your smp is over or do you apply the summer after your senior year in college?

I applied summer of senior year so as to avoid the lag year. However what can and will happen is they will put your application on hold till they receive fall grades.

Most SMP programs that take MCAT will also take DAT they just don't list it on the site because historically its been medical students who do these programs. Call them and check on each individual program.

D3ntalDud3,
I couldn't find a deadline to the Midwestern program, but I found that the program begins accepting applications in October. Best bet would be to call them.

cmcner-yes smps are generally rolling admissions, so the earlier the better.

Rdhdds1, hello there...Both the Midwestern MA and Tulane CMB are not online programs. You have to attend the classes.

ScarletKnights-its your call. Depending on what improvements you need, but generally if you do not want to have a lag year between your application and entry in to DS this is what you would do: Apply to Masters programs now, May 15th submit AADSAS, August'09-start masters program, December-update AADSAS with new grades, May-finish masters program, August'10-Enter DS.

Hey there Albuterol. I know that both require attendance. I wsa just hoping to find one out there that did not require it.

do you think it's way too late to apply to that midwestern program? Sorry I've been working a lot lately and haven't really had the time to browse around. I'm thinking about a plan B if I don't get in this cycle, which sucks to think about but I guess I better do it just in case...

I just can't seem to find a page where it lists general stats about how many they take, stats of people who get int, etc.

D3ntalDud3,

i don't think its late. i havent submitted my application and am aiming for a end of january/early february submission.

I am doing the Tulane CMB SMP right now, so if you have any questions fire away.

FYI just in case anyone wasn't aware

SMP - People who have already covered their science requirements but need advanced science classes to prove they can handle Dental school. Here you are awarded a graduate GPA. Also you recieve your MS degree or certificate depending on the program.

Post Bac - Generally for those people coming from a non-science major and need to take the science prereqs. Here your GPA is averaged into your undergrad GPA. No additional degree is awarded.

SMP differences:
type 1:MS degree
type2: certificate
type3: no certificate
postbac with grad level courses

I completd all science courses, just need to bring up GPA, what is best choice for me ? should prefer a MS/certificate or as long as they are grad level courses, my chances will be same to dental school ?

Hey albuterol or anyone that might know,
What do SMP programs look for in terms of admissions? are they looking for high GPA's and DAT's just like dental school? I tried calling 2 of them and they were VERY vague, they barely knew how many applicants they had the year before....

Saycheeese,
Yes tufts takes DAT scores. I know because I applied and was accepted.

Minotaur,
masters programs mainly are looking for applicants who need time to show that they can handle graduate level classes in order to prove themselves to admissions committees. Some of the students in my masters program have been out of school 1-2years and want to show dental schools they are staying up on their studying/challenging themselves academically. Other people that I have met have a solid gpa, but did poorly on their DAT and the program will help them study for the DAT while still staying involved in science. Usually these people have a high gpa/low dat, low gpa/high dat, or low/gpa and dat. Go check out the postbac forum on SDN-can find useful info there. good luck

Nice thread guys but can anyone tell me what is the deadline for application in these programs also when do they start thanks

Deadlines vary for each school but most of them are may-june, but do check with each school. It is usually listed on their websites. I applied in late January/early February and was accepted at 2 of the 3 Master's programs. These programs are becoming competitive to gain entry into as more and more people are looking at ways of enhancing their application-so apply early!

albuterol, do you know if we can apply in jan/ feb and have the DAT scores and recommendation letter come in later in may/ june? I am planning to have them done by june but if i wait to apply till then, it will be too late.

I know that the University of South Florida and Florida Atlantic University both have SMP-like Master's you can do. There is also an online one at USF, but it requires more than one year for completion, which is why I didn't do it.

how about temple university SMP? Would it be good for predental students, too??

university of Kentucky has SMP, too?? thanks in advance!

how about temple university SMP? Would it be good for predental students, too??

I looked into this one last year and it seemed to have a BCMS and a ACMS depending on it you had all your pre-req's done I think. Then within them were 2 seperate tracks/purposes, one was pre-dental and one was pre-medical. According to their website, this year it seems to have changed to only pre-medical, because there was a linkage to both med/dental school before, now it seems the linkage is only pre-medical. When I called them last year for details they were very vague and said that they would be updating their website with more info soon, so I'm guessing that's the update, that they removed the linkage. Does anyone one else know anything about this? I'd love to be wrong about this.

Hi I am planning on applying to umdnj's masters program too. My overall GPA is a 3.32. However, my DAT score was only a 16 (i took in 2007). Do you guys think I should take the GRE? I do not know if they will take my DAT score being that I took it in October of 07. In addition, is my DAT score too low for UMDNJ- masters program? thanks for your help

Hi I am planning on applying to umdnj's masters program too. My overall GPA is a 3.32. However, my DAT score was only a 16 (i took in 2007). Do you guys think I should take the GRE? I do not know if they will take my DAT score being that I took it in October of 07. In addition, is my DAT score too low for UMDNJ- masters program? thanks for your help

I'm almost sure I remember them telling me last year that their average DAT score was an 18 when I called and asked with a 3.0 GPA.

I'd call up admissions and ask if your numbers are competitive. If they hesitate or say no I'd take the GRE, or retake the DAT, but only retake the DAT if you really think you're ready to get a score you'd be happy to apply to dental school with.

Is Columbia's MS in Human Nutritions considered as those SMPs mentioned above?

I've just asked if Temple has a post bac. they listed Upen, Drexel... I wonder if temple has pre-med, why that one does not work ?

For those who are interested in the Midwestern MA program: I didn't finish my application until mid-April last year because of a problem with one of my letter's of rec, but I was still accepted by the beginning of July. They accept around 75 people and I think the last spot wasn't filled until a coupe of weeks before orientation at the end of August. Just an FYI, this program has ample opportunities for both pre-medical and pre-dental students, I highly recommend it to anyone.

To the poster asking about applying to dental school: I wasn't going to apply this year because my application hadn't changed much from my last application (3.0 sci/3.15 overall 20/20/19, and 15 rejections without interviews) but changed my mind in September and applied. After the academic update I received 2 interview invitations, so it's definitely worth trying.

Columbia University, Institution of Human Nutrition!!! As far I know, including me, all predents were successful. a lots of work but worth it! I got asked about nutrition and the program during the interview a lot and i got accepted to all interviewed schools. Highly recommend it!

Reactions: 1 user