Best Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start a thread where current med students can give eachother and incoming students advice on how to make their study time most effective. What works for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I like to study alone late at night when everyone else is asleep and there are no distractions. For multiple choice tests, I like to read bits of the material and then immediately quiz myself on it until I work my way through all of it. Then I go back through it quizzing myself after every few sections. Then I like to get with someone else who might pick different questions to quiz me on and then quiz each other on the whole thing. Then BAM!! C+ hehehehe

For probably the first six weeks of med school, I struggled a ton with trying to figure out how to study. Then a guy named Dr. Pelley from Texas Tech gave a seminar here, and things really started to click. He bases your learning style on your Myers Briggs personality, and incorporates a lot of mapping into his techniques. Check out his web page; I got a lot out of it. http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/Success/default.htm

Everyone studies differently. Example. The person directly behind me in class rank studied during class and in the evenings (also had a lot of pre-medical school medical experience). He highlighted practically every line in the notes, and was always reading.

I usually went to class, didn't study on the weekdays, and once Saturday rolled around (our tests were on MOnday), I studied all day Sat and Sunday... went to bed Sun night at around 2, got up around 5, took the test, then came home to take a nap. By studying, I usually read through the class notes 2 times thoroughly, and one last time just what i highlighted (usually 5% of the notes). I took the practice tests three times. I usually managed to do very well on the tests (except for damn dermatology).

Granted, that system worked VERY well durign systems class (2nd year). First year I dont' even remember how I did it. I think I just kind of skimmed through everything and hope my brain remembered enough to pass.
Q