Best Study Tips

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sfjohn, Nov 21, 2002.

1. sfjohn

sfjohn Member

I want to start a thread where current med students can give eachother and incoming students advice on how to make their study time most effective. What works for you?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Slingblade the Surgeon

Slingblade the Surgeon Senior Member

I like to study alone late at night when everyone else is asleep and there are no distractions. For multiple choice tests, I like to read bits of the material and then immediately quiz myself on it until I work my way through all of it. Then I go back through it quizzing myself after every few sections. Then I like to get with someone else who might pick different questions to quiz me on and then quiz each other on the whole thing. Then BAM!! C+ hehehehe

4. andrea

For probably the first six weeks of med school, I struggled a ton with trying to figure out how to study. Then a guy named Dr. Pelley from Texas Tech gave a seminar here, and things really started to click. He bases your learning style on your Myers Briggs personality, and incorporates a lot of mapping into his techniques. Check out his web page; I got a lot out of it. http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/Success/default.htm

5. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus

Everyone studies differently. Example. The person directly behind me in class rank studied during class and in the evenings (also had a lot of pre-medical school medical experience). He highlighted practically every line in the notes, and was always reading.

I usually went to class, didn't study on the weekdays, and once Saturday rolled around (our tests were on MOnday), I studied all day Sat and Sunday... went to bed Sun night at around 2, got up around 5, took the test, then came home to take a nap. By studying, I usually read through the class notes 2 times thoroughly, and one last time just what i highlighted (usually 5% of the notes). I took the practice tests three times. I usually managed to do very well on the tests (except for damn dermatology).

Granted, that system worked VERY well durign systems class (2nd year). First year I dont' even remember how I did it. I think I just kind of skimmed through everything and hope my brain remembered enough to pass.
    Q