Best subject of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best subject of research

• Morphine and main morphinics polar metabolites

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can propofol have anti-nociceptives and analgesics properties?

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Cannabinoids in general along with vanilloids

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Pain perception in children associated with fighting forces

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vicepharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know what topic to choose for my research project, so I think it might be a good idea to ask people.

1 - Morphine and main morphinics polar metabolites

2 - Can propofol have anti-nociceptives and analgesics properties?

3 - Cannabinoids in general along with vanilloids

4 - Hearing loss associated with opioids

5 - Pain perception in children associated with fighting forces

1-
Can we exploit morphine metabolites as pure analgesics? Well, it's already the case. Can we create other ''bests''(more corresponding to the needs) opioids molecules based on those opioids metabolites? Sure we can. There's a lot of research on that to find less addictive and more efficient molecules and I want to deliver my part.
I would start this project on my own.

2-
I've always been interested if whether or not propofol modulates pain. It has already been proved 2 years ago that propofol has indeed anti-nociceptives properties by acting on the discretes endocannabinoids and cannabinoids sites. What is true for the moment is that propofol modulates perception to pain, but how? It doesn't seem to modulate pain signals.
I would lead this project. I should get also some support from the anesthesiology and pain pharmacology of my university if I need any.

3-
University of Montreal has invited me to be part of their research team. They found me by my interest in researching analgesics/anti-nociceptives properties of propofol, and since they have discovered propofol is an indirect cannabinoid, they think I can help them by continuing what they've begun in the cannabinoids research.
I would be a research assistant.

4-
Vicodin has been proved to impair hearing. But the mechanics don't seem clear to me. There's a lot of evidences and stories on that subject that cannot be avoided anymore from overdosing to a simple take of opioid drug showing that opioids are impairing the ears. This is true in some cases but we don't know how.
Would be on my own.

5-
How is the tolerance to pain of children associated with fighting forces? Are they experiencing pain all day long? This is more a job for a psychologist, but I'm finding it interesting.
Need the authorization from Doctors Without Borders.

There you go.

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't we ask 5 choices in the poll?! :mad:

Anyway, hearing loss associated with opioids is missing.

Interesting thing with the propofol. Am surprised that hasn't been done b/f!
If Montreal has a great group of people and you can get a paper (1st or 2nd author), go with them. Especially since it's an established project, it'll probably get published faster...

I didn't really understand how you would be studying that on children.. my mind imagined something rather sinister.

Last edited:
For the children soldiers, I need some data about if they use more or less analgesics compared to normal children when they are in pain. And evaluate their tolerance based on that.

I need interviews with the same children about their idea on pain (eg: how would they describe pain, what do they know about pain, etc).

The whole psychology and physiology thing...

I need a multidisciplinary team of psychologists, nurses, doctors and social workers. I can't do this without the help of Doctors Without Borders.

About the propofol, that kind of analgesics properties is difficult to evaluate and understand. Propofol is still a mystery nowadays.
By the way, can someone explain me how it is possible for propofol to have a Vd of 400-700L?

Last edited: