Best suture kit/knot tying kit to buy for practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creamfreesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in the OR today and embarrassed myself in front of an attending with my novice knot tying, ability as I feebly attempted to close up laparoscopic skin incisions. I am still in the beginning of my third year and have had minimal formal teaching regarding this skill; at my medical school, we are pretty much expected to learn this on our own.

I was wondering if anyone had a positive experience with a particular suture kit and or knot tying kit that would enable me to practice this skill until I learn it well. I know there are many such kits on the market - ideally, I am looking for one complete with an instruction resource of some kind (manual, DVD, whatever) that is reasonably priced (I'd say not over $125). Anyone have any suggestions from past experience ?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the OR today and embarrassed myself in front of an attending with my novice knot tying, ability as I feebly attempted to close up laparoscopic skin incisions. I am still in the beginning of my third year and have had minimal formal teaching regarding this skill; at my medical school, we are pretty much expected to learn this on our own.

I was wondering if anyone had a positive experience with a particular suture kit and or knot tying kit that would enable me to practice this skill until I learn it well. I know there are many such kits on the market - ideally, I am looking for one complete with an instruction resource of some kind (manual, DVD, whatever) that is reasonably priced (I'd say not over $125). Anyone have any suggestions from past experience ?
Ask the surgical residents. They should have access to ample amounts of expired opened suture to practice with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If one were to find a suture removal kit around, this may contain the necessary instruments for practicing. At least it did at my school. Then suture can be acquired from the scrub nurses usually if you ask them for unused but open sutures at the end of a case

seriously bro just ask around to get some tools to practice and watch some videos

you can buy pigs feet or even just use chicken breasts to practice on

I bet just asking for some needledrivers to practice at home will get you some hellp and good feelings for your initiative

good on you

also, there's a 90% chance you would have been ripped on anyway if that makes you feel better

So what level of suturing skill is expected on day 1 of a surgery rotation? I am starting my rotations next week and I have never had any instruction in suturing. It was probably naive of me, but I thought "Well, suturing sounds like something I will learn during my surgery rotation."

If you have two hands, each with at least five digits, you'll be fine.

So what level of suturing skill is expected on day 1 of a surgery rotation? I am starting my rotations next week and I have never had any instruction in suturing. It was probably naive of me, but I thought "Well, suturing sounds like something I will learn during my surgery rotation."

None.

Most schools have a suturing workshop at one time or another during the rotation as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Check out this vid in the meantime.

These videos rock. I'm a veterinary student, and used them for my own practice. Sometimes I browse the allo threads to see what's going on in the human world. Thanks for letting me visit ;) To the OP...watch these videos. They're great! Just another thought...at my school, OP, we practice using a wet synthetic chamois, pulled taut against a board. Works great for practicing patterns.

You can get a free knot tying kit from ethicon. It has a manual that teaches two- and one-handed knot tying. Fishing line can also be used as a cheap suture substitute for practicing knots.