best textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROCyourROLLium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a few threads on this before, but a lot geared towards med students and ca-1s. I wanted more recent thoughts on best books and strategies for a new CA2 with an already pretty solid base (I have read M&M a few times, scored >80%percentile on all tests so far). I feel like my knowledge base is plateauing , although i'm sure this will change starting CA2 and more challenging cases.

What is step up from M&M, and no I probably will not be able or capable of reading through barash or big miller front to cover with actual retention.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Barash and Miller (my preference is the latter) are both great, but as you alluded to, difficult to read cover-to-cover. They're great references depending on the rotation you're on (ie, on neuroanesthesia, read some of the neurophysiology/anesthesia chapters). Yao is great for oral board preparation, IMHO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
agreed with faust. i did not so great (really quite badly) on my CA-1 ITE. the next year i studied my butt off with faust, ACE questions, M5, and some hall (though i think this is the weakest of the listed references). I did 90th percentile.

Read stoeltings anesthesia and coexisting disease. Also read jaffes anesthesiologists manual of surgical procedures before your cases since i assume your cases will be becoming more complex

And start reading some subspecialty books as well. Cote before an syndromic peds case, chestnut before a congenital heart csec, etc

I was a big fan of Barash for whatever rotation I was going to next starting about a week earlier. Then when on the rotation I would hit relevant subspecialty text.
Yao and artesio was what I read intermittently, but especially in the last 6 months or so, and as prep for oral boards.
The coexisting disease book was a good one too.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

+10 Yao. The new edition has just come out, and includes a free electronic version.

Among the 2 big ones, I tend to like Miller more, but both kind of suck for "reading". Miller at $330 is ridiculously expensive, so I never buy it.

Anesthesia And Co-existing Disease, like Barash, is a hit or miss, depending on who wrote the chapter. I wouldn't pay $150 for the former, but Barash tends to be cheap for what it offers, especially if buying new from an Amazon 3rd party for $130. Both include a free Inkling ebook version.

If you want the AACD kind of info in a pre-digested form, there is a great Cambridge Pocket Clinicians manual from 2007. Get the Kindle version for $55. You can even rent the Kindle ebook for 6 months for like $32.

Don't buy any of these if your own version is not at least 2 editions older.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never read Yao before and just picked up the new version on kindle. Been through a couple chapters and it appears to be a very solid book. Should be helpful for both written and orals

The Ho review book for the oral boards once you have the basics down from Miller/ M&M.

I haven't looked at the new Yao & Artusio but the older one was good if you can stay awake while reading it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't heard about the Yao book, and am in the same boat as OP so might be checking that one out as I have some (fairly restrictive) book funds to use. Any other feedback on it?

I haven't heard about the Yao book, and am in the same boat as OP so might be checking that one out as I have some (fairly restrictive) book funds to use. Any other feedback on it?

Worth buying.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

yes it does look good. Will def buy. I am also thinking about combining education funds and a moonlighting shift to buy big miller and iPad (more time in hospital this year, less dedicated reading time in evening). For those who use inkling/ipad, Is it a game changer or an expensive gimmick?

when residents are struggling to pass ITEs/on the verge of being held back in our residency program, the asst PD commonly recommends Ho's book for written studying too. I actually did enjoy Ho's text a lot when studying for orals--it is extremely concise and high yield. I wish I had picked it up sooner.

Reactions: 1 users
yes it does look good. Will def buy. I am also thinking about combining education funds and a moonlighting shift to buy big miller and iPad (more time in hospital this year, less dedicated reading time in evening). For those who use inkling/ipad, Is it a game changer or an expensive gimmick?

It's very convenient for reading on the iPhone. Can't comment on the iPad.

I know there have been a few threads on this before, but a lot geared towards med students and ca-1s. I wanted more recent thoughts on best books and strategies for a new CA2 with an already pretty solid base (I have read M&M a few times, scored >80%percentile on all tests so far). I feel like my knowledge base is plateauing , although i'm sure this will change starting CA2 and more challenging cases.

What is step up from M&M, and no I probably will not be able or capable of reading through barash or big miller front to cover with actual retention.

thanks!

While you might not want to read Barash or Miller, you kinda have to. My personal strategy with Miller was to read a chapter or two relevant to whatever rotation I was on. By the end of your CA2 year you can be finished cover to cover. Then I read it again as a CA3. I used Barash more as a quick primer on a topic for a case the night before.

It's very convenient for reading on the iPhone. Can't comment on the iPad.

I love Inkling on the iPad - you can download entire books (with the electronic code) or just individual chapters and bookmark, etc... Very useful.

Reactions: 1 user