Best time to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregoryMD

EMT-B
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the ideal time to apply if I scored less on the MCAT than I had expected?

I took the MCAT during my last semester while also simultaneously taking a few physiology upper divisions and physics II. About 2 months into my MCAT prep I decided I wanted to focus on my courses and make sure I finished my last year strong. (3.5c/3.2s/3.8ns after all my coursework). When I decided to post pone my MCAT, it was on the day that the 14 day cut off had started on, so I either had to cancel and lose my unrefundable test, or take it and void if I did horribly. I knew I wasn't fully prepared, but on the day that I took it I felt I had done reasonably well. I got a 23 (6PS, 8BS, 9VR).

I already signed up to take it against in August, and this time I have plenty of time to prepare--I already know where to improve, and where I know I can already do better (Especially in verbal and physical sciences).

Do I apply early still (June 1st)? Or wait till closer to August, so that by the time my application starts getting looked at, they'll see a (hopefully) improved MCAT score. I'm worried a 23 might cut me off prior to getting an interview or even secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get application in as soon as it is complete, but indicate a pending second MCAT and give the date.

Many schools won't look at your application until after the test, but at least your primary will be verified.

You could always just submit with one school selected to start with, then add more schools once you get your scores back.

Okay cool, thanks. Basically there is no way working on the application early can harm me. Also, do they look at ECs done during the application cycle as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay cool, thanks. Basically there is no way working on the application early can harm me. Also, do they look at ECs done during the application cycle as well?

I agree with dsoz. If you are worried about the possibility of getting screened out even though you have a second test pending, apply to only one throw away school to get verified as was stated above.

They do look at ECs during the applications cycle. I had multiple entries that were for current and future activities on my app and discussed them during interviews.

im in a similar situation,

do you guys think its better to work on the application while we wait for our score?

Just fromt he perspective of my school, it's long interview cycle. The MD schools may fill up right away, but I suspect the DO programs take thier time. August isn't that late..January is.

So I say, yes, take the MCAT when you're ready, and submit as soon as you have your grades. A 23 alone will hurt you.

What would be the ideal time to apply if I scored less on the MCAT than I had expected?

I took the MCAT during my last semester while also simultaneously taking a few physiology upper divisions and physics II. About 2 months into my MCAT prep, I decided I
wanted to focus on my course and make sure I finished my last year strong. (3.5c/3.2s/3.8ns) after all my coursework). When I decided to post pone my MCAT, it was on the day that the 14 day cut off had started on, so I either had to cancel and lose my unrefundable test, or take it and void if I did horribly. I knew I wasn't fully prepared, but on the day that I took it I felt I had done reasonably well. I got a 23 (6PS, 8BS, 9VR).

I already signed up to take it against in August, and this time I have plenty of time to prepare--I already know where to improve, and where I know I can already do better (Especially in verbal and physical sciences).

Do I apply early still (June 1st)? Or wait till closer to August, so that by the time my application starts getting looked at, they'll see a (hopefully) improved MCAT score. I'm worried a 23 might cut me off prior to getting an interview or even secondaries.

im in a similar situation,

do you guys think its better to work on the application while we wait for our score?

Well given what answers I've received--yes.

I appreciate the feedback guys! I managed to dig up some old threads asking a similar question (I couldn't find any last night before posting. Guess I didn't look hard enough).