Best time to get married during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacchic856

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
26 yr old with future engagement planned for June 2016, the same summer I'll be taking the MCAT and applying to schools. When we sat down to discuss a timeline, med school was not on the table; PA was. Med school stretches my postbacc an extra year and actual program 2 extra years. I don't want to wait until after I graduate to get married anymore but I also don't want to rush the engagement and try to get married within the year before (assuming I get accepted my first shot). My significant other is extremely supportive and knows wholeheartedly that it won't be a cakewalk. When is the best summer to say "I do"?

Members don't see this ad.

After ms1 sounds like a great idea. Whether I get accepted or not the first time around we could still have a date set. This will be our parents' first (and possibly only) wedding so an engagement >18 months would be the best option for us.

Between MS1 and MS2 is your only summer. Between MS3 and MS4 might work too. Fourth year is pretty open as well.

In my class, I know at least one who had a wedding between MS3 and MS4. I know another who got married during late MS3, but held off their honeymoon until MS3-MS4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Christmas breaks are another option that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet. It might not be the usual time for getting married, but you get a break every year and plenty of people will be taking time off from work anyway. Two weeks ought to be enough time for a wedding and a decent honeymoon, or at least I hope it will be. I'm an MS3 and I'll be getting married this December two days after my psych rotation ends.

Either between MS1 and MS2 (which is when I got married) or during the second half of MS4 year (which is when many of my classmates got engaged or married). Between MS3 and MS4 is also possible, but between MS2 and MS3 would be hard because there's so much going on with taking Step 1 and transitioning to clerkships.