Best time to take the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahpt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently preparing to apply this upcoming cycle. I have everything else ready for application except the GRE. My question is when would be the best time to take it? I hear a lot of people saying get your applications in early because it might help your chances, is this true? I have been so busy with everything else that I haven't really begun to study for the GRE and was planning on taking it August, and then if I need to retake it I will do so in September. What are all of your opinions? Thanks so much for all the info, this website has been very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it as soon as you feel comfortable. If you get your applications in by August or September you'll be ahead of the curve on most of the deadlines.

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile app

I'd take it ASAP and see what you can get, then you can prepare and improve upon that. Most schools take highest scores so it makes sense to take a few shots at it. I know people get worried about the costs of the test, but I think it is silly to worry about saving a couple hundred when big scores can save you a lot of thousands

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to take it as early as possible after studying for about 2 months, just to see how I would do first time around. I would encourage you do take it as early as you can, so that if you need to, you have time to rethink your strategies and improve! and if you do well enough, at least you will get it out of the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't rush yourself... unless you're dying to spend $200 multiple times to take it.

I took mine on May 31st and it was definitely a relief to have it done before the cycle opens.

Are you taking summer classes? I was super busy that spring semester before applying, so once school was out around the 11th, I used those 20 days to study for my GRE and that was enough.

I would try to take it before the opening of the cycle on July 1st. The more things you can get done before applying, the more stress free the whole process will be. Plus, taking it at the end of May/ beginning of June, gives you plenty of time to retake it.

Yes applying early helps you with schools that have rolling admissions. You interview sooner, and hear back sooner. Try your best, and of course, you want to take however time it takes for you to submit the strongest application; but if you're targeting schools with rolling admissions,try to submit everything early.

Also this cycle ETS had some kind of technical difficulties and many people couldn't assess their scores for quite some time. Schools were made aware of that but it still left those students with incomplete applications for a few weeks. I took mine early so I wasn't affected by this but just to say that you want to account for potential delays and that 21 day minimum period that you have to wait before even being able to retake it. Also the later you submit, the longer it usually takes PTCAS to verify your application

Also this cycle ETS had some kind of technical difficulties and many people couldn't assess their scores for quite some time. Schools were made aware of that but it still left those students with incomplete applications for a few weeks. I took mine early so I wasn't affected by this but just to say that you want to account for potential delays and that 21 day minimum period that you have to wait before even being able to retake it. Also the later you submit, the longer it usually takes PTCAS to verify your application

So true about the ETS problem! I was trying to schedule for almost 2 weeks a second GRE and their site was a malfunctioning mess the whole time. I had never been so irritated with a site before. I'd also send your transcripts in immediately when the cycle opens. Because I did this, when I first submitted my application in early November, my application was verified within 2 days. As long as they have the transcripts and don't have to sort through them all, it goes pretty quickly.

I would take it as soon as possible. The GRE was super tough for me and I had to take it twice. Thankfully, the first time that I took it, it was early enough where I could have enough time to study and prepare again for it and I was still ahead of the game with applications.

On a side note, I really recommend using Magoosh to study for it. That's what I did to prepare for my second test and I scored 10 points higher in just a month of studying! It was very helpful.

I also recommend Magoosh. The vocab apps were super useful bc whenever I had a little down time I would go through a few words

Sending your application early does not change your acceptance probability. I sent mine 2 months before the due date and I was still waitlisted. Your gpa, clinical experience, recommendation and community presence are the variables that increase your chances. To answer your main question, the best time to take the GRE is after you have prepared for it. I took the test three times and I found out it's best to schedule it three or four months ahead of time; that way you will have those months to diligently study. Here's an additional resource to help you prepare: http://wp.me/p7ObOt-5O
Hope that helps!

Sending your application early does not change your acceptance probability. I sent mine 2 months before the due date and I was still waitlisted. Your gpa, clinical experience, recommendation and community presence are the variables that increase your chances. To answer your main question, the best time to take the GRE is after you have prepared for it. I took the test three times and I found out it's best to schedule it three or four months ahead of time; that way you will have those months to diligently study. Here's an additional resource to help you prepare: http://wp.me/p7ObOt-5O
Hope that helps!

Most of this is good advice but the first sentence isn't completely true. With rolling programs they do reviews and interviews after a certain time, accept some people and then repeat. Being in that first group you are shooting for a larger number of seats and will have a higher probability. With schools without rolling admissions you are correct though

Reactions: 1 user