"best" time to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when is the best time to take the MCAT? I know it's offered many times throughout the year now but like when it was only offered twice a year, I believe there is a time when most MCAT takers are less prepared to take the test and the curve is lowered. I think it's gotta be sometime before the summer because everyone will be studying hard in the summer and raise the curve and make it much harder to score well.

Members don't see this ad.

when is the best time to take the MCAT? I know it's offered many times throughout the year now but like when it was only offered twice a year, I believe there is a time when most MCAT takers are less prepared to take the test and the curve is lowered. I think it's gotta be sometime before the summer because everyone will be studying hard in the summer and raise the curve and make it much harder to score well.

yeah I would think that too...But taking it in the summer doesn't really make that much of a difference in a curve...The benefits of studying for the MCAT usually decrease significantly after studying a couple months or so....

I dont know if you want to know this but, I would also suggest taking the 8:00 am MCAT rather than the noon!

i was thinking of the same questions (and still am). the way i think of it is whenever i take it most people are probably going to be in the same boat as me. if i wait till end of summer everyone will have the whole summer to study, but so will i, so it doesnt really matter. you just have to be more effective in learning than others in the time you have.its not about how much you study its about how you study, because studying definetly has diminishing marginal returns (the economist inside me is speaking)

Take the test at noon that way you can grab a bite to eat first. You know I've always thought about that as well and I figure if you know your material well and retained it since your classes then take it at the off times when there are finals for the semester college otherwise just take it in summer :cool:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that the best time to take the MCAT is after having finished all the prereqs by the spring semester, ending with Ochem II/Physics II, study during the summer, take the August MCAT and apply in the FOLLOWING summer. I really think you need to take the MCAT not too long after finishing your science prereqs. I also think the prereqs should be taken in the following order in consecutive semesters - Gen Chem I/Bio I then GChem II/Bio II then OChem I/Physics I then finally in the spring semester Ochem II/Physics II.

Many people take the April MCAT. Personally, I'm not sure how you'd study for your regular classes and the MCAT at the same time. August MCAT, then applying during the following cycle, I think is ideal.

Agreed. In my school everyone takes the MCAT in May/June of their juinor year. Thus they have to study for the MCAT during the 2nd semester and they get their results in July and have to immediatly apply if they want to get into Med School the year after they graduate. This allows no time for retakes and also makes you apply somewhat late.

I am taking it in August before my juinor year so I can see my results, do a January retake if nessesary, not have to worry about the MCAT during school, and then apply early in June. For some reason though, everyone in my school scoffs at me taking it early. I already had all the prereq's so I really don't see why you wouldn't want to take it early.