Best way from Detroit airport to Wayne State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm flying into Detroit Sun. for a Monday interview and can't tell what the cheapest way to get from the airport to the medical campus would be. I've heard that taxis are $20-40 each way?? Anyone have a better estimate? The school also mentions a shuttle.... Or there is always renting a car.

Anyone have a suggestions.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

where are u staying?? u say ur flyin in sunday, u stayin at one of the airport hotels?
The airport to the schl drive can be quite hectic in the morning, I-94 is a straight shot to downtown area, where the schl is located.
Taxis will probably cost a fortune cause we arent really that public transportation inclined here in Michigan, especially in detroit, everyone drives

I'm staying at the guest housing for the medical center Sun night. Should I rent a car then??

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm I am not sure if you want to be taking public tranportation in Detroit in any case. Years back when I interviewed at Wayne State. I took a taxi both ways. On the way back I split the taxi with one of the other students interviewing. One of my friends got a med student to drive her back, but let's just say she is an attractive female and I am not.

Detroit was pretty spooky for me. I would second the warning against public transportation, some things are more important than saving a few bucks.

um...i appreciate the replies, but I didn't even think public transportation was an option. :confused:

Try this, ask them for like a quote and see what they say. The Commuter Express might be cheaper.

Taxis or limousines are available from Metro Cabs (tel: 734 942 4690); Commuter Express (tel: 888 854 6700) provides door-to-door shuttle transportation and also offers minibus and coach hire.

There's gotta be some med student that can possibly give u a ride back to airport. Try postin on the allo forum, u never know

Thanks so much. :) Just in case anyone else is curious... these are the quotes...

Metro cabs: one way to the med center is $35.00 (yikes!)
Commuter Express: $42 for a round trip ride. They meet you at the bagage claim.

Originally posted by lisa13579
Thanks so much. :) Just in case anyone else is curious... these are the quotes...

Metro cabs: one way to the med center is $35.00 (yikes!)
Commuter Express: $42 for a round trip ride. They meet you at the bagage claim.

just like I thought, then that would be your best option! Saves u the hassle of tryin to figure out driving in Detroit :clap:
Goodluck on ur interview, pls let me know how it goes, mine is coming up in like 3 weeks

I'm a student at Wayne, I give the school tours occasionally, and I would be happy to give rides whenever my schedule permits. If you need a ride Sunday or whenever, let me know. Can't get a cheaper ride than that! :)

If you can't get a ride there and back from a student, I'd rent a car. Like a previous poster said, Detroit is definitly a driving city. You should be able to get something from Enterprise for about $20-$25/day and they only charge $10/day for under 25's. Also, if you rent a car, you can cruise around and get a better feel for the areas you'd end up hanging out in. I used to live in the north suburbs and we always hung out in Royal Oak.

Good luck!

LaurieB is both right and wrong. Detroit is without a doubt a driving city, make that a driving with your doors locked, city, haha. The public transportation is not only crap, but it's pretty shady. However, the problem with Detroit is that the roads make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I have lived in the suburbs my entire life, going downtown a couple time a month, and have yet to figure it out. Instead of being like a grid, like most cities, the road systems are shaped like spokes on a wheel. This in combination with random roads or entrance/exit ramps being closed at will can make a hectic commute. If you are going to drive, dont do so without a map.

The cool thing about renting a car is that you could see Detroit outside of Detroit . Royal Oak and many of the suburbs north of it are really nice. I grew up in metro-Detroit and absolutely love it, its nothing like downtown. Where I lived there were about 8 lakes within a mile, very cool. This is one of the reasons I am considering Waynes acceptance, just because I would like to practice in metro-detroit. I guess my point is, don't look at Detroit and think :wow: Because most students live north of it where things are pretty nice.

Originally posted by Laura JC
I'm a student at Wayne, I give the school tours occasionally, and I would be happy to give rides whenever my schedule permits. If you need a ride Sunday or whenever, let me know. Can't get a cheaper ride than that! :)

Best option here :)

@ddmoore54, ur somewhat right, its hard to navigate, but its really not that bad!! Plus any city is driving with ur doors locked. The city has a lot more to offer than most think, from the summer festivals(that all the people from the suburbs come to), to the superbowl, ok thats in 2006 :laugh:

Thank everyone, I haven't checked this board in a few days. I did end up renting a car for $20 (total). I'm going to print out lots of maps from mapquest and hopefully I will be fine. :) I misunderstood the shuttle service quote...it is $42 each way!!! No thanks!!

Laura JC: thank you so much for the offer! That is so incredibly nice! But I just rented the car before I checked this message. Are you giving the tour this coming Monday? If so, I'll see you there. :)

By bounding overwatch with covering fire.