Best way going about postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bestpostbac

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the best way of going about doing a postbac? I probably cannot do a formal post bac because of financial reasons. I've looked at a few and they are quite expensive. I was thinking about taking courses at my local state school as a non-degree seeking applicant. Advantages/disadvantages? Do you know of any other formal postbacs that may not cost as much?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 
I can speak from the informal post-bacc perspective.

Advantages:

-cheap, around $1,700 tuition per semester, fulltime
-as a corollary, less financial stress - if unsuccessful in gaining admission to med school, the "sunk cost" of premed classes was truly minimal, vs 30K per year or so for a formal program.
-didn't have to move (no formal programs were near me)
-flexible classes -- I took whatever & whenever I wanted, as the 4 yr school was pretty large, and could decide on the order of courses, which advanced courses to take, etc
-got to meet lots of other students ranging from future healthcare workers to future HS teachers.
-ultimately gained acceptance to med school.

Disadvantages:

-no one "told" me what & when to complete a class, how to prepare for the MCAT, how to fill out the med school apps; premed adviser OK but not great.
-no external pressure to do well; many peers were fine w/b's or so; motivation had to come from within.
-my post-bacc school is not well-known; no warm intro from my post-bacc school to any med school.
 
Of the formal programs that I've been looking into I came across Montana State (http://www.montana.edu/dhs/hpa/postbaccadvising.html) which can run you $10k/yr according to AAMC (http://services.aamc.org/postbac/) and is the cheapest by far. I'm not sure if there are other postbacs that are cheaper though as I've been digging through 5-8 programs that are geared towards career changers.

I am not leaning towards any postbac programs at the moment because they do not fit the goals of what I would like to accomplish. Continue to look into all of your options to be able to make the best decision as I am constantly looking and hoping for something better.

There are also some great suggestions and advice on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=576574
 
What is the best way of going about doing a postbac? I probably cannot do a formal post bac because of financial reasons. I've looked at a few and they are quite expensive. I was thinking about taking courses at my local state school as a non-degree seeking applicant. Advantages/disadvantages? Do you know of any other formal postbacs that may not cost as much?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A suggestion might be to enroll as a degree-seeking student rather than non-degree so you can register for classes early and be eligible for financial aid. Also, the major isn't important - you don't have to be a biology major, for example. Just take the sequence of prereq classes appropriate for premeds. My state school (which has been awesome so far!) has a list of recommended BCMP classes so students don't accidently wind up in the nursing department, taking classes that would not count for med school prereqs. Good luck and have fun 🙂