best way to approach dedicated step 1 studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on how much time you have to work with. Overall work smart and keep realistic goals so that you don't burn yourself out.

well if you have been watching pathoma and reading first aid with class youre in good shape. The few weeks before dedicated do your class studies and at night review a chapter in pathoma. 2x speed and dont take notes pause to quiz yourself on what was said. This review was invaluable. First few days of dedicated read through the small costanza physio book in the mornings and do questions in the afternoon. Then jump into questions 80 to 100 per day and spend time understanding why youre right and other answers are wrong. Work through first aid after questions and quiz yourself on what was just read. Picture what a patient would look like with that disease.

Repeat day after day with an NBME weekly to track progress until your exam. You can do it, pain is temporary but living > than 1 SD above the mean is forever.

The best marathoners appear to be sprinting to common folk

The person you're responding to is a >2SD above the mean scorer...you're ****ing with the wrong person my friend...lol

Reactions: 3 users
You should set aside about 7-8 weeks for yourself with lots of First Aid review and question banks (I went through mine about 3 times). If you benefit from a review program, use it as your baseline. Take practice tests when you feel ready and don't panic if you don't reach your goals right away.

Good luck!

You should set aside about 7-8 weeks for yourself with lots of First Aid review and question banks (I went through mine about 3 times). If you benefit from a review program, use it as your baseline. Take practice tests when you feel ready and don't panic if you don't reach your goals right away.

Good luck!

Yeah unfortunately not all schools award that amount of time. There are some schools that get almost zero dedicated study time. The average seems to be around 4-6 weeks (the school of my home state gave 8 weeks, luck bastards). However, there are those that can do extremely well on the board even with only 4 weeks of time (some people don't even need anything beyond 6 weeks if they prepped well through 2nd year). None the less, I agree with everything else you have stated.

Yeah unfortunately not all schools award that amount of time. There are some schools that get almost zero dedicated study time. The average seems to be around 4-6 weeks (the school of my home state gave 8 weeks, luck bastards). However, there are those that can do extremely well on the board even with only 4 weeks of time (some people don't even need anything beyond 6 weeks if they prepped well through 2nd year). None the less, I agree with everything else you have stated.

That's too bad, I guess I didn't realize that.

That's too bad, I guess I didn't realize that.

Yeah it does make things tougher. However, people are very successful even within a 4 week time frame if they prepare right. I definitely appreciate the advice, it will be helpful when it comes my time to take the boards.

Complete UWorld once before Step studying. Many who I know who did well had done UWorld 1x before dedicated, scored a good score on their diagnostic NBME and then had a lot of time to grind against first aid while doing UWorld again at a leisurely pace while really taking the time to understand what they didn't get. Those who saved UWorld like me for the most part were drinking like a fire house during dedicated too and couldn't afford to take days off here and there or spending excessive time grinding out basic things.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is it overkill to be delving into UWorld as a second semester M1? I have access to it...

Is it overkill to be delving into UWorld as a second semester M1? I have access to it...

Yes, you haven't covered enough material to get anything out of it.

You can do other things to keep the material you covered fresh, like using one of the FA anki decks, but save Step 1 studying until at least summer before M2.

Reactions: 1 user