Best way to match into competitive fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MS4 at a mid-tier medical school. I recently matched into a community general surgery program that has some affiliations with big academic universities. I was wondering what are the best ways to improve my chances to get into a competitive fellowship. I will not have the opportunity to take two years off for research, but hope to be able to do a good amount of clinical projects throughout my residency. I understand that fields such as surg onc or peds surg will likely not happen. If anyone can give me some advice as to how to make myself more competitive, not coming from an academic/university program that would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Get involved early in your specialty of choice, write up lots of papers, abstracts, posters, etc. Go to all the local, regional, national meetings.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely try to get on writing some papers. I am not sure how it is with schedules in order to attend all of the local, regional, and national meetings, but will do my best to try to attend them. If anyone has any other thoughts, would be much appreciated