Best way to mention a publication on secondaries (especially for research heavy schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whaledoctor18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Since my primary application submission, my paper (middle author) got published on Nature. As such, I've been updating schools on this fact on the secondaries, particularly in those optional/gap year info essays simply by describing that I got published with a citation.

However, with still some secondaries left to submit, I'm wondering if it would be better to spin the publication into a narrative of some kind. I already put research as one of the most meaningful activities, so I've described how and why I got into it as well as what I've learned from it in my primary.

Especially for research powerhouse schools, would it be worth it to try to mention it like a narrative (don't have any new research narrative in mind to add, but can try to play with the angles and relate it to why their school would provide the best resources for me to pursue my research interest)? Or would it be better to simply update them on the publication short and sweet?

I'm a research heavy applicant but my other secondary essays don't touch on research topic, so I'm just concerned that I'm not taking full advantage of my Nature publication on secondaries.

Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Since my primary application submission, my paper (middle author) got published on Nature. As such, I've been updating schools on this fact on the secondaries, particularly in those optional/gap year info essays simply by describing that I got published with a citation.

However, with still some secondaries left to submit, I'm wondering if it would be better to spin the publication into a narrative of some kind. I already put research as one of the most meaningful activities, so I've described how and why I got into it as well as what I've learned from it in my primary.

Especially for research powerhouse schools, would it be worth it to try to mention it like a narrative (don't have any new research narrative in mind to add, but can try to play with the angles and relate it to why their school would provide the best resources for me to pursue my research interest)? Or would it be better to simply update them on the publication short and sweet?

I'm a research heavy applicant but my other secondary essays don't touch on research topic, so I'm just concerned that I'm not taking full advantage of my Nature publication on secondaries.

Please let me know what you think.
What to say in response to a gap year info request depends on what they ask, but for the vast majority, "short and sweet" is what they're looking for. "Why this School" questions would be more appropriate for an essay expounding on the desirablility of an institutions's research resources.

And congrats on the Nature publication.

Reactions: 1 user
What to say in response to a gap year info request depends on what they ask, but for the vast majority, "short and sweet" is what they're looking for. "Why this School" questions would be more appropriate for an essay expounding on the desirablility of an institutions's research resources.

And congrats on the Nature publication.

Thank you! I'm also especially happy to have the publication right in time for the app haha.

Would this "short and sweet" approach also apply to one of those "Tell us something that's not mentioned in other places in the app if any" optional essays? I've seen a few old posts recommending short and sweet approach to these essays too, but I'm wondering if I can take more advantage of my publication, especially given that I don't write about research in my secondaries.

Now I'm leaning towards going the short and sweet approach but just checking!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the Nature pub! I think citation itself is good. If you have the word count, explain briefly your project and roles would be a nice update!

Thank you! I'm also especially happy to have the publication right in time for the app haha.

Would this "short and sweet" approach also apply to one of those "Tell us something that's not mentioned in other places in the app if any" optional essays? I've seen a few old posts recommending short and sweet approach to these essays too, but I'm wondering if I can take more advantage of my publication, especially given that I don't write about research in my secondaries.

Now I'm leaning towards going the short and sweet approach but just checking!
I think that prompt lends itself to use as "Why do you want to attend our school," too, as well as bringing up the pub. Can you manage a succinct commentary along those lines (related to your research), besides the publication citation?