Best way to NYCOM via Brooklyn!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKCDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I only know the route to NYCOM from BK by taking the belt-cross island-LIE.

Is there a quicker route from the belt? i.e. alternative method going north other than the cross island? continue on southern state? (details please!)

how about the return?

thanks for your 5 cents!

DO-DK

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately that's the quickest route to NYCOM from South Brooklyn. Any other route would require going through the Gowanus/BQE, and that's never a quick way anywhere, or the local streets of Nassau County -- which suffer from being pretty slow as well.

If experience has taught me anything, the Cross Island is the only really slow part of the trip, right? The Belt Parkway is decent, then the Cross Island slows a bit, but once you get onto Grand Central or the LIE service road, everything's fairly smooth.

If you just have to avoid the Cross Island, you might try getting off the Belt at Pennsyvlania Avenue, going north to the Jackie Robinson (former Interboro Parkway) and then getting onto the Grand Central. Be warned, however, that the Jackie Robinson has a tendency to slow quite a bit at times. Pennsylvania Avenue is pretty quick though.

Good luck.

Actually,

I've heard that continuing on the SSP to take meadowbrook is not a bad idea as well. Can anyone shed light on this? I hear LIE is the worse! Don't know.........

Members don't see this ad :)
My limited experience with morning rush-hour traffic on Long Island would dictate that the Meadowbrook, northbound from the Southern State Parkway, is as bad -- if not, worse -- than the northbound Cross Island Parkway.

But the northbound local streets off the Meadowbrook are a lot more direct (and sometimes quicker) to the NYCOM campus than navigating through the jammed-packed streets of southeastern Queens off the Cross Island.

Try it. See which is better.

hi guys, i have an interview at NYCOM at 9am (Tim, thanx again re:personal statement) say i want to be there at 8:30, any idea how long it takes to drive there at that time? thanx, susan

sorry, forgot to say that i am from South Brooklyn

Driving in Long Island totally sucks nowadays. I would recommend leaving at about 4 AM if you want to be at NYCOM by 8:30. :laugh:

I had a neurology clerkship at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, Long Island, and I had to be there at 9AM (sorta). Anyway, to get there at that hour, I'd leave home in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, hop onto the Belt, take the Cross Island, and then onto the LIE service road. This took me approximately 1:15. To get over to NYCOM, which is in Old Westbury, more eastward on Long Island, I'd leave about two hours before you're supposed to be there (6:30AM).

NYCOM is on Northern Boulevard/25A, and so it's a considerable distance from the LIE or Northern Parkway. Those main roads running north-south on Long Island are sometimes pretty jammed in the mornings.

Although when I interviewed at NYCOM back in October 1998, it took me only 45 minutes to get from the same home in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, to NYCOM. Go figure.

hey If your cummuting from south brooklyn, here is the deal (Ive been going to tech/nycom for a few yaers now so trust me)
1. understand, it should take about an hour 15 to get there on an average day...in bad traffic, all bets are off, no matter how close you are.... yes even if you live close to campus.

route :
Simplest... the belt /cross island/lie

most practical ive used:
belt/cross island/ take exit 29 east to grand central parkway(northern state)
drive until exit 29 (( a sharp exit almost immidiately after the 28 n and S exit, so be careful)) at exit, make a RIGHT on the light, drive to the lie service road (like 2 blocks) make a right ((you know your on the service road since there will be a gas station to your right, and the lie overpass in front of you.
go all the way to where lie lets out...2 more blocks or so, and then folllow directions as from lie...eg make a left onto glenn cove rd and take it to route 25 it will be a huge intersection with a shopping center on the right and a wendeys on your left, make a right there, drive a few blocks and youll see the NYCOM entrance.

this route is the least annoying and saves the most time.... as such things go.

the SSP /MEADOWBROOK.... do this only if you see that the cross island is very backed up...at best, taking this road adds 15 minutes to the commute, and may also add more...

convenient place to switch to and from lie and northern : exit 34
its about exit 26 or so on northern.

good luck, see ya in the mornin.