Best way to prepare to apply to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zangalo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional student, currently finishing up an MPH program. I want to apply to medical school, but I need to know what the best way to improve my application is. I have a 2.7 science gpa from 7 years ago, graduated with a degree in biochem, so I'm thinking about doing post bac work, but I'm not sure if I should do a special Master's program, like the one's offered at Georgetown or Drexel, or if I can do work at a local university and just take science course work to show improvement. And if it would be ok to do a post bac course locally, should I re-do the classes I took years ago or should I do upper division course work (if I can place into it)?

Any advice would be helpful! I'm really leaning towards doing the post bac work locally, but if it wouldn't help me, then obviously I need to do something else.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-traditional student, currently finishing up an MPH program. I want to apply to medical school, but I need to know what the best way to improve my application is. I have a 2.7 science gpa from 7 years ago, graduated with a degree in biochem, so I'm thinking about doing post bac work, but I'm not sure if I should do a special Master's program, like the one's offered at Georgetown or Drexel, or if I can do work at a local university and just take science course work to show improvement. And if it would be ok to do a post bac course locally, should I re-do the classes I took years ago or should I do upper division course work (if I can place into it)?

Any advice would be helpful! I'm really leaning towards doing the post bac work locally, but if it wouldn't help me, then obviously I need to do something else.

You're fine. Just take the MCAT, get a very high score (>33) and apply broadly. I wouldn't waste money on a post-bac or SMP (those are set up by the colleges to take your money)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. Just take the MCAT, get a very high score (>33) and apply broadly. I wouldn't waste money on a post-bac or SMP (those are set up by the colleges to take your money)

thats a bunch of baloney!! if you have a lower range GPA and a avg MCAT score a SMP is your only last hope of ever getting a acceptance to allopathic school because you have to prove to them that despite your lower GPA and MCAT scores you can do the work! at least with SOME of the SMPs if things don't go as well and you don't get accepted to med school some allow you to finish and get a master's degree, a certificate, or at the very least, some extra courses and training! the Temple program is pretty sweet in that you not only get the med school courses but they GIVE you MCAT prep for retaking the test in order to do better and if you do well enough, you get an automatic acceptance into Temple Med School!

If you're considering the DO route, redoing the classes you took years ago would be the fastest way to raise your uGPA. And if you didn't do too well in the core classes, you might want to retake them to help prepare you for the MCAT.

Even if you prefer to get an MD, schools consider grade trends. Although the core classes won't raise your GPA as quickly (averaged in vs. grade replacement), it's good to show you can do well in them.

The SMP (depending on the program) can be more expensive, but some have really good track records of getting people into medical school. They may have a GPA cut-off and some require an MCAT score, so you might have to take some science classes locally anyway.

Another factor to consider is how in-state friendly (and non-trad friendly) your state schools are (I don't know where you're from, so I can't comment).