Best way to study Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to tackle Biology? What are the areas that people tend to fall down on?

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to study biology (I am assuming this is general bio), is to just admit that you are going to have to memorize 90% of the material. Don't fight this, don't complain, don't say "this is just memorization." You will start problem solving biology when you take biochem and genetics, for right now open that pack of index cards and start memorizing.

edkNARF said:
The best way to study biology (I am assuming this is general bio), is to just admit that you are going to have to memorize 90% of the material. Don't fight this, don't complain, don't say "this is just memorization." You will start problem solving biology when you take biochem and genetics, for right now open that pack of index cards and start memorizing.

Right on the money!

A lot of things in Bio are nothing but put it in your head and spit it out on the exam. There are a few things that work together such as naming, etc...so you will only have to memorize a few things and be able to put them together.

Also, once you get the hang of most the info, things tend to be common sense. If something sounds wrong it probably is. This makes it easier on a multiple choice test but not essay

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have to disagree a little bit
The second semester is the one where requires tons of memorization, such as what is a psilophyta, what so special about it etc.
First semester of bio is rather very interesting where you have to understand what is going on (thats cellular bio if you were wondering)

Bio is the best part! The first semesters of general biology are relatively brute memorization, but if you convince yourself that it is really interesting, then you will discover that it is not hard to memorize. Personally, I LOVED cell bio, cell bio lab, general bio, comp. anatomy, human anatomy and Biochem. Genetics is another story...do not get behind in genetics or it can get bad very quickly!
As for biochem- that is PURE memorization, but it is also alot of fun!
Good luck,
Greg

like any other subject.... just put your time into it... some will get it with little effort... some will put in their share of all nighters... but in either case... if you need help... always ask... tutors, internet sources, professors.... ask early...

dshnay said:
I actually have to disagree a little bit
The second semester is the one where requires tons of memorization, such as what is a psilophyta, what so special about it etc.
First semester of bio is rather very interesting where you have to understand what is going on (thats cellular bio if you were wondering)

Firstly, different schools cover different subjects during 1st and 2nd semester. I studied the inverse of what you did. Secondly, I still found that most of bio was mostly memorizing. This does not mean I thought it was boring and not interesting. If you don't find it terribly interesting, then learn to love the flashcards, pop open a starbucks doubleshot and start memorizing!

So I should be taking notes from the text and putting them on index cards?

ok, this might not work for everyone, but biology involves a lot of processes, so... i usually pay alot of attention to the figures and their captions in the text. i remember in my cell and development class, i spent more time poring over the drawings and their captions. it seriously helped me to better understand the reading, not to mention the lecture-- both of which were painfully dry. some of the figures were so good, i'd sometimes combine them into one large one that i'd draw (in more of a simplified form, of course-- i'm no artist :oops: ) and tack up on my walls.

I still don't get it. What and how do I memorize? Memorize the terms that are highlighted in the text? memorize the most minute fact that is buried in the text? :confused:

blankguy,
i guess it kinda depends on the nature of the chapter/subject you're studying... if you're learning classification and taxonomy, then you're memorizing names and characteristics. Flashcards might be helpful for that, as well as for definitions and compare/contrast. If you're learning DNA replication, maybe repeatedly drawing the steps out showing the process over and over again will aid in memorizing all the steps that are involved. Some other processes (life cycles, photosynthesis, glycolysis) you can condense down into flowcharts, which you can write down over and over again until it's second nature to you-- sometimes a markerboard helps. Other memory aids such as acronyms and other such mnemonics help a lot too.

There is no "best way" to study for biology. Everybody's approach is different. If you got to the point of studding for DAT then you should already have some basic understanding of your study habits that fit you best.

I didn?t mean to break anyone?s soap bubbles :D

did anyone study from kaplan notecards do those help?? or is the book ok?

My mom is a teacher, and she gave me a great little study tip that has helped me in biology and just about every other subject. It has to do with textbook diagrams. If you are like most people when you are reading a chapter you are focused on the TEXT and plowing through the words. However, your textbooks are filled with diagrams, charts, and illustrations. These non-text parts of your textbook are not there are supplemental instruction of the text...they often REPLACE text. So if you don't understand the diagram, chart, illustration you miss the whole point of the section.

So mom (the teacher) made the suggestion that as you read the text, put your finger on the diagram that is being described. If it is a chart that is describing an increasing line, trace the line with your finger. Don't make the mistake of seeing that the author is talking about a diagram and just say "yeah I get it he's talking about the diagram." As the author describes something in the text, at the same time try to see the correlation to the diagram.

Learning the diagrams is active learning that will be easier to remember come test time. Also the diagrams are more likely to be on a test becuase if it is concept that is important enough to have a diagram, you most likely will need to know it for the test. :thumbup:

Buying easy to understand study guides and actually understanding concepts make memorizing biology terms and concepts MUCH easier.

I bought SparkNotes 101 Biology and it helps understand tremendously.

Flashcards work too. :cool: