Technology Best webcam and video conference software?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us who want to optimize keeping in touch with loved ones via video conferencing, which camera and program has worked well for people?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Which platform? Most Mac enthusiasts are diehard iChat fans. I use iChat to videochat with family (1,200 miles away) all the time. Works like a charm, you can get encrypted chat, and hardly ever have any issues with bandwidth, bugs, etc. (Minus the bugs that were rampant when Apple implemented QOS packets with the Tiger release, which has now been corrected.)

If you do not own an Apple, then AIM offers videochat. The only real advantage to using AIM is that a lot of people are AIM users, making it better able to communicate with your friends. I don't think AIM offers the best videochat program though.

Maybe some of the PC users can comment about the various programs used on their side of the spectrum.

southerndoc said:
Which platform? Most Mac enthusiasts are diehard iChat fans. I use iChat to videochat with family (1,200 miles away) all the time. Works like a charm, you can get encrypted chat, and hardly ever have any issues with bandwidth, bugs, etc. (Minus the bugs that were rampant when Apple implemented QOS packets with the Tiger release, which has now been corrected.)

If you do not own an Apple, then AIM offers videochat. The only real advantage to using AIM is that a lot of people are AIM users, making it better able to communicate with your friends. I don't think AIM offers the best videochat program though.

Maybe some of the PC users can comment about the various programs used on their side of the spectrum.

Thanks for your reply. I am a PC user. Are there any more reliable programs than AIM? Also, does the quality of the webcam really make a difference or are the $30 ones all you need?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Trek 1 said:
Thanks for your reply. I am a PC user. Are there any more reliable programs than AIM? Also, does the quality of the webcam really make a difference or are the $30 ones all you need?

Thanks.
I have a a old intel cam i bought in 1994. Honestly i have treid a lot of them, and this by far blows them away. I usually use Yahoo IM to do vid. conf. with my family in Europe.
It is not voice, only video. I am both a Mac and PC user and works fine on either OS.

There are various exclusive video conferencing service providers such as Polycom,*Accutel, Vidyo, Vidtel, etc. which can meet your needs. However, if you are looking into web / video conferencing combined services, you may have a look at WebEx, gomeetnow, gotomeeting etc. or even consider having on premise web-video conferencing appliance installed such as RHUB appliances.