Best/worst Feeding Mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think there's some kind of idea that the kibble can help clean their teeth. I don't know if I buy that, especially because cat kibble is so small and requires little chewing if any. I've seen plenty of cats on all kibble diets with horrid teeth, and plenty of cats that eat only canned and have fine teeth (cats are of comparable age). I think good dental care is much more effective at maintaining dental health than is the kind of food you feed 😛

The "dry food cleans their teeth" idea is a myth, though many of clients still believe it. Heck, I grew up believing it. Cats don't CHEW their kibble. Their teeth are designed for ripping and tearing meat. Think about what cat vomit looks like when they puke undigested food - whole pieces of kibble, right? If I could just get the kitties to floss and brush after every meal... 😉

Recent fun "OMFG she ate what?" story: Two puppies presented for eating plastic bags, little collar-attachment flashlights with batteries, and a plastic toy. Both were fine after we induced vomiting, although one tried to eat the vomit containing the batteries after her sister puked it up! Two months later, they called AGAIN because the puppies ate a bag of pot! 😱
We also have a client whose dog has had multiple fb surgeries. He likes to eat rocks. Large rocks.
 
I think there's some kind of idea that the kibble can help clean their teeth. I don't know if I buy that, especially because cat kibble is so small and requires little chewing if any. I've seen plenty of cats on all kibble diets with horrid teeth, and plenty of cats that eat only canned and have fine teeth (cats are of comparable age). I think good dental care is much more effective at maintaining dental health than is the kind of food you feed 😛

We bought our old cat the Hill's Dental diet food because we wanted to save what little teeth she had left. The kibble was HUGE... and she swallowed it whole.

Hill's got that one wrong... at least in our case.
 
We also have a client whose dog has had multiple fb surgeries. He likes to eat rocks. Large rocks.

I once assisted during a surgery on a dog with that problem. Big Gordon Setter, sweet dog, liked rocks a lot. The vet said, "I'm considering installing a zipper on this dog." This was about the third surgery this dog had had to remove rocks from its GI tract. 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a little off topic, but I had to share two of the funniest things that I have heard clients say...

First, we had a first-time pet owner bring in a Yorkie puppy for puppy shots. Next day, lady brings puppy back in for "weird bumps" on its abdomen. As it turned out...."Yes ma'am, dogs have nipples too".

Another favorite is the young cat that was brought it for weepy eyes. Doc told the client she likely had the herpes virus, which was causing her eyes to tear. At this point the lady replied "Oh...no, no. I've had her since she was a kitten, and she is a virgin." 🤣

Not food/eating issues, but client ignorance nonetheless.😛
 
This is a little off topic, but I had to share two of the funniest things that I have heard clients say...

First, we had a first-time pet owner bring in a Yorkie puppy for puppy shots. Next day, lady brings puppy back in for "weird bumps" on its abdomen. As it turned out...."Yes ma'am, dogs have nipples too".

Continuing the hijack... One of my favourite quotes from a technician ever is (she was talking to another client): "You have no idea how many people call and want their pet's nipples removed." 😛
 
This is a little off topic, but I had to share two of the funniest things that I have heard clients say...

First, we had a first-time pet owner bring in a Yorkie puppy for puppy shots. Next day, lady brings puppy back in for "weird bumps" on its abdomen. As it turned out...."Yes ma'am, dogs have nipples too".

We had a cat brought in for "a weird lump in his chest--like something's lodged there." It turned out to be Fluffy's xiphoid process. Which wouldn't be so strange except that we're an off-hours emergency facility and the owner paid $90 for us to palpate Fluffy's sternum. 🙄
 
I once assisted during a surgery on a dog with that problem. Big Gordon Setter, sweet dog, liked rocks a lot. The vet said, "I'm considering installing a zipper on this dog." This was about the third surgery this dog had had to remove rocks from its GI tract. 🙄

We have a dog who eats anything she can at all. Usually she manages to vomit it up or poop it out, but she's had 4 exploratory surgeries in the last year. She's just over a year old...
 
Worst feeding mistake: Owner brings in a puppy (that has a portal-systemic shunt). As part of the history she's asked what the puppy eats, answer: banquet chicken pot pies and "smart" water.

That's all. awesome.....
 
Thought I'd finally contribute to this thread:

At the emergency clinic, there was a dog (I forget what was wrong with it) that we couldn't get to eat. We tried pretty much everything in the clinic and he wouldn't touch it, so we asked the owners if they could bring in some of his own food. The owners arrived with a pizza box... we were still hoping it wasn't what we thought it was... nope— they did in fact bring a pizza because it was "the only thing he likes to eat."
 
Maybe that's why I'm so average: I've been drinking stupid water all this time. Who knew?

Sucks that some of this food information takes 5 minutes to google or a 10 minute phone call to a vet/wildlife rehabilitation center/shelter and people are still so STUPID.

I still get angry at people who ask pet stores for advice. Only found one pet store yet that knew a decent amount of information about fish, and one so far that knew things about gerbils.

*headdesk headdesk headdesk*

5 freaking minutes on google. FIVE MINUTES PEOPLE.
 
Continuing the hijack... One of my favourite quotes from a technician ever is (she was talking to another client): "You have no idea how many people call and want their pet's nipples removed." 😛

My dad once had me restrain one of their cats so he could attempt to remove a "tick" on her abdomen. He grabbed the thing, yanked, cat made some VERY displeased kitty noises... yeah, that wasn't a tick. (Fortunately, he also failed to remove it.) EPIC FAIL. 😱

Worst feeding fail at our house... back in 2007, I came home to find my diabetic cat sitting in the trash can eating leftover waffles and drinking mass quantities of pancake syrup. Five days later, he had an (unrelated) emergency, and the ER wanted to run a fructosamine. I was forced to fess up. Fortunately, the vet had a sense of humor.
 
I work at a small clinic that occasionally does boarding. A person dropped off their Australian Cattle Dog mix for an overnight stay. Not 10 minutes later the dog promptly vomits everwhere. I noticed several large pieces of plastic in the vomit and fished a piece out with a pencil. What was it? A condom, still halfway wrapped. Doc figured he most likely got ahold of a package of flavored ones and went to town.

We had a yellow Lab come in who had eaten three jingly ball cat toys.

Then there's the lady who only feeds her chihuahua Spam and vienna sausages, the guy who swears that his dog can and will drink soda pop from a straw, and my own cat who will kill you for a bite of your (preferably vanilla flavored) yogurt.

Oh! And not really related, but I had a very interesting call at the clinic on Saturday from an embarrassed middle aged (?) woman wanting to schedule her elderly Yorkie for an appointment for what she would only refer to as "Manhood Issues" 😕. No further explanation, and she said she would rather talk to the vet about it in person. Can't wait to see what it turned out to be!
 
Does anybody know how good beneful dog food is. I used pedigree, but switched when my dogs started to get picky about it. I have never heard anybody complain about it but I was just curious. I have wanted to do some research into nutrition, but I am still an undergrad and barley have time for all my other classes
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is no one else reminded of Mrs. Pumphrey and her pekingese, Tricky Woo, from the James Herriot series?
 
Be careful of what you plant. Learned this lesson the hard way. Had a 10 lb terrier that LOVED hanging out on the porch... she'd play with the plants and was always in one section of the garden-- always acting happy-go-lucky. One morning, woke up and the dog's back legs appeared to be paralyzed. Rushed her to the ER- got the typical "what do you have lying around your house?" lecture (which I'm obsessive about not leaving things down that the dogs aren't supposed to get in to)... left her there and when I got home there was a chunk of my morning glories on the porch (missing all the leaves). Yeah... silly little dog was getting high and apparently OD'd.
 
Oh, god, my cats and houseplants = not good times. They must think that they are ruminants, except instead of chewing cud they leave it as a present by my shoes. I keep a very large planter of catgrass in constant seeding but they can mow down a square foot of oat shoots in under an hour. Any other houseplants, even cacti, have to be kept sealed off in a terrarium or they will be DEVOURED and the remains knocked over and strewn about the carpet. A bouquet of flowers? Not a chance that will last the night. Those cut little catnip planters from the farmer's market? Torn up within minutes. Even spinach gets chewed up and spit out all over the kitchen floor. These cats are just plant killers.
 
My cats LOVE my cilantro. In fact, after reading these posts, I just remembered I forgot to put on the porch and left pot in the kitchen.....I wonder if I will still have cilantro when I get home from work?
 
We had a 5 year old cat who was in kidney failure when she was brought in. The vet couldn't figure out what was causing it. There weren't any masses, underlying medical conditions, and it didn't appear that the cat had gotten into any anti-freeze. She didn't have a lot of hope for this cat. The owner agreed to treat her for a couple of days and then go from there.

A week later, I go back to the clinic to shadow. The cat was there. She had made a complete recovery, much to the shock of the two vets. They figured it was a toxicity to something. The owner has a LOT of indoor house plants. Her cat had always been disinterested in them. The vet figured it was a plant toxicity and sent them both on their merry way.

The client was AWESOME. She didn't cringe at the hefty vet bill, and told us she was going to find a place for all of her plants so her cat couldn't get after them.

When she came in to visit her cat that day, she bit her 😛 Silly kitty.
 
Not a feeding "mistake", but man this was hilarious:

Dr to client: So, what do you feed your dog?
Client: Dog food.
Dr: ................what KIND of dog food?!

:smack: :bang: :lame: :slap:
 
Does anybody know how good beneful dog food is. I used pedigree, but switched when my dogs started to get picky about it. I have never heard anybody complain about it but I was just curious. I have wanted to do some research into nutrition, but I am still an undergrad and barley have time for all my other classes

IMO Beneful is not that great of a food. I always try to advocate for foods that are based on a non by-product protein source (so the FIRST ingredient at very least should be meat). I also recommend staying away from any foods that have colored kibble. It is just unnecessary dye and appeals to the owner more than the dog. Most any food you find at Walmart or a grocery store are not that great of quality. BUT do feed the best that you can afford...good food doesn't necessarily have to be the most expensive bag!

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, propylene glycol, meat and bone meal, tricalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid, salt, water, animal digest, sorbic acid (a preservative), potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas, calcium propionate (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

My family has bred trained/showed Australian Shepherds in conformation, herding, and obedience for 27 years now and most of that time we have fed Eagle Pack. We had them on Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup (love the ingredients, hate the name, and wasn't impressed by the stool) at points but are now back on Eagle. Eagle does have corn as a second ingredient, which I was not initially thrilled with, but I have done some subsequent research and think there are some benefits. We have very minimal health issues and amazing longevity in our dogs so we are going to stick with what works I guess.

On the other end of the spectrum...word of caution for grain free/ very high protein dog foods...feeding them to young puppies (esp large breeds) can affect bone growth and cause some serious issues. While we were feeding TOW we had a puppy go undershot at 4 months old...we switched her back to a lower protein feed and over the next few months her bite went to a crossbite, then to even, and then FINALLY back to the correct scissors bite an Aussie should have! We had our breath held the whole time as we could not find ANY breeders that had an undershot bite go back to normal. There is no history of that in her lines and all siblings (on lower protein diets the whole time) maintained scissor bites throughout their growth process. Since then, we have heard of multiple people that had puppies go undershot on similar foods but didn't realize the problem in time for it to correct itself. We got lucky with "Quil" and she just took her first 5pt major for her Championship this past weekend.
 
I have a 14 year old aussie that is on steroids on and off (since November) for laryngeal paralysis. The steroids make him hungry ALL THE TIME. He will check everything to see if it is edible. Well, I was at a show and I always use liver for bait in the ring and the most convenient spot to keep the bait while in the ring happens to be my bra. Got home, threw the cloths in my hamper just like I have always done after shows for the last umpteen years, and went to do some homework. When I went to my room about ten minutes later to grab a book....cloths were everywhere and my my bra was half eaten. Oreo has never chewed anything he shouldn't in his entire life so I find it a little humerous that at 14 years old the first thing he destroys is one of my favorite bras. I have to say I was a little impressed.
 
haha! These are all great! I'm pre-pharm but i work for my mom at her animal hospital and I thought I might contribute some interesting things:

Had a lab swallow a tennis ball
A cat eat a toy tire (like from a toy truck or something)
A cat eat a magnet
Same dog came in twice in one year for first eating the Mrs's underwear then the Mr's sock
A dog ate a doll stuffed with those little beads, and he had diarrhea everywhere with beads also everywhere haha

Told an owner he dog needs to be on a bland diet. After the fact (when the dog unfortunately passed away) the owner mentions she would add oil to the boiled chicken because she "didn't want it to be too bland for him"

Had a owner call saying his dog was sick. Told him to come in, said he had to talk to his wife and call back tomorrow. Told him in the meantime to feed a bland diet. he said "oh I am! I'm feeding him watered down pedigree! I don't know what's more bland than that!" maybe for HIM haha

I know a few patients that swallow Greenies whole. Kinda weird

Oh I also love the client that comes in with a health dog saying "He won't eat ANYTHING! He's starving!" and after having to ask the same question of "What do you offer him?" in several variations you find out he won't eat his dog food so the owner feeds him fancy steak or something. Well yeah, he's holding out for the good stuff!
 
I was gone for one hour yesterday and my lab (that dumb-dumb to the left) ate an entire IPA brew kit. All the hops, malt, sections of the box, priming sugar, even the packing peanuts!

Looked the hops up on VIN and saw that they cause uncontrollable fever in dogs, sometimes leading to death (joy!). So I gave him the old hydrogen peroxide treatment, he vomited an enormous amount of junk. Watched him like a hawk. He seemed fine. Then I wake up in the middle of the night and the other dog (the husky that never ever does anything ever) was panting really heavily for no reason. So of course I flip out and immediately jump out of bed to take her temperature (cursing myself the whole time), which of course she objects to loudly, waking the bf. Bf thinks I'm being completely unreasonable, but offers to hold her anyway. Temp is normal. 🙄 Bf thinks I'm insane. Great.

Both seem fine now, but jeeeeeez. Bf continued to tease me all morning. "Babe, babe, come here!" "What?" "I think...I think Piper might be dead.." --Piper looks up at him and cocks her head-- "Are you deeeaad Piper? Are youuuu??" Ullgh.

If there are any fellow beer-brewers on this board, keep that stuff high and away from the mutts! The kit had just been delivered in the mail and I didn't even think it would be at all enticing or potentially dangerous. Lesson learned. Sigh.
 
I was gone for one hour yesterday and my lab (that dumb-dumb to the left) ate an entire IPA brew kit. All the hops, malt, sections of the box, priming sugar, even the packing peanuts!

I knew a dog whose owners brewed their own beer. They threw out the hopps faaaaar away from their house because they knew what hops can do to a dog. Well, one day she got out and went straight for the hops (must taste good?). Luckily they found her in time and got her into the vet! They were so traumatized though. I don't think they ever attempted to brew again!
 
Caitie, I like the one about the watered down Pedigree. I haven't tried any SA food, although it smells perfectly inedible, but I once tried Fibregized, a horse feed that is coated in molasses and smells divine. Yeah, under that coating it's basically enriched cardboard. Blech.

Bacci, unless you already have your own VIN account, it is against the terms of service for your boss/friend/whoever to give anyone besides themselves access to VIN. It is limited to vets/vet students so that vets can share openly about client stresses, tricky cases or ones that didn't go well, ethics discussions, etc., without worrying that a non-veterinarian is reading and potentially judging or misunderstanding. Letting assistants, techs, etc., read the boards violates the spirit of the community agreement as well as the letter of the terms of service. I'm not blaming you at all, you probably didn't know this and it's the responsibility of the owner of the account, just pointing it out. If your boss wants assistants, techs, and other employees to have access to a similar community, he/she should provide them with VSPN accounts.

P.S. Mmmm, packing peanuts. Everyone's favorite dish, right? Nothing like packing peanuts with a chaser of box.
 
Caitie, I like the one about the watered down Pedigree. I haven't tried any SA food, although it smells perfectly inedible, but I once tried Fibregized, a horse feed that is coated in molasses and smells divine. Yeah, under that coating it's basically enriched cardboard. Blech.

Bacci, unless you already have your own VIN account, it is against the terms of service for your boss/friend/whoever to give anyone besides themselves access to VIN. It is limited to vets/vet students so that vets can share openly about client stresses, tricky cases or ones that didn't go well, ethics discussions, etc., without worrying that a non-veterinarian is reading and potentially judging or misunderstanding. Letting assistants, techs, etc., read the boards violates the spirit of the community agreement as well as the letter of the terms of service. I'm not blaming you at all, you probably didn't know this and it's the responsibility of the owner of the account, just pointing it out. If your boss wants assistants, techs, and other employees to have access to a similar community, he/she should provide them with VSPN accounts.

P.S. Mmmm, packing peanuts. Everyone's favorite dish, right? Nothing like packing peanuts with a chaser of box.

I have my own VIN account. I wondered if they would let me have one yet, and was pretty stoked that they did! I could sit there and search random topics forever 😀. So no worries, no violations here.

And yeah, I don't think Bacci has taste buds. This morning I woke up to him sampling a raw potato. 👎 (Bacci is also my lab's name. When I registered I really needed the answer to a question on my app and didn't care to think of anything better haha)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, sorry, in the past we have had several pre-vets who were going on VIN on their bosses accounts and posting about it here. I'm also impressed that y'all already have your school email. No offense meant. 🙂
 
I never lost the school email since I did my undergrad here too - it won't change. Not all have that luxury, I know. That's why I didn't mention it. I'm mostly just learning to navigate efficiently. I must say, I am not impressed with the design. Maybe it will grow on me, but it really has been cumbersome compared to other forums I've experienced.
 
It definitely has a learning curve, but the layout has grown on me. Now that I've used it for a while, it seems like I do less clicking than on here.
 
*pout*

C'MON DAVIS! I want my e-mail address, dangit!

EDIT: I'm secretly hoping that my email address will be my first two initials and my last name...then I will be "Dr"[email protected]'ll be dubbed a doctor already! 😉

....and back to your regularly scheduled programming.
 
*pout*

C'MON DAVIS! I want my e-mail address, dangit!

EDIT: I'm secretly hoping that my email address will be my first two initials and my last name...then I will be "Dr"[email protected]'ll be dubbed a doctor already! 😉

....and back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Haha! That would be awesome. I wish I had cool initials. *pout*
 
My dad used to give our llama coors beer. The llama would take the entire can between his lips and down it in one sip....... 🙄 my parents are definitely not where I learned how to feed my animals- don't worry!
 
Both seem fine now, but jeeeeeez. Bf continued to tease me all morning. "Babe, babe, come here!" "What?" "I think...I think Piper might be dead.." --Piper looks up at him and cocks her head-- "Are you deeeaad Piper? Are youuuu??" Ullgh.

This just made me giggle outloud!

As far weird things go, well there's the boarder whose wife makes him bring all the boxer's accessories (in a bag with her image embroidered on it) and expects that she will get cereal (a huge ziploc that she doesn't eat, just mushes up and makes a mess) and this is not a bland cereal, it's usually fruit loops in the morning, then a milk bone at 10 am, kibble at noon, canned mixed veggies at 3 pm, and more kibble at night... If we explain to her about the fruit loops and don't feed them, she gets super pissed, so we eat them as a snack 🙂

We also had a dog that ate 7 coins and apparently a certain coin after a certain year has zinc in it and the dog was urinating blood so much that it was coagulating (seriously, my boss almost didn't believe it was urine). So if you ever see "port wine" colored urine, suspect zinc 🙂

Then there's the itty bitty chihuahua who gets a full sized big mac and is so fat you could ROLL her!

Clients are crazy.
 
Lol, I have a lab pup and she tries to eat everything. The list so far is:
Tennis ball skins
Rope threads
School IDs
Sunglasses
Plastic LED light dogtags (b/c she is black and its impossible to see her at night)
Pantyhose
Books
Lotion Bottles
Chapstick
Pens
Hay and Grass (when she mimics the horses)
Dryer Sheets
Hair ties
The stuffing from her plush toys
The Rubber from her kong toys
And a multitude of other objects. haha I am amazed that she passes everything and hasn't had an obstruction so far. 😕

As for the burgers, my grandmother had an elderly english setter, towards the end she became anorexic and super thin, the only thing she would eat would be mcdonalds hamburger (normally only a treat on car trips). For a dog, I'm sure this was the best last supper she could ask for. 🙄
 
Fortunately I haven't had a dog eat non nutritive objects....but have had a few that chew the H*LL out of everything in site and leave the mess of what ever it was all over the house😡
 
I know this thread has been dead for a little while but i will post this anyways.
recently i saw a case where the owners had noticed the sponge had gone missing, they were sure there 6 mo old puppy couldn't have eaten more then that one, when we opened him we found what looked like sweet potato skins and 2 sponges in pieces. my own dog has experimented with the taste of soy oil for the horses, she ate the pump off the top and licked out about 1/2 a gallon of the stuff. she proceeded to vomit it all back up al over the floor, luckily it was the unfinished portion there is still a grease stain there. This same dog thinks that green tomatoes are actually tennis balls on a bush, she never actually eats them but needless to say we have stopped growing tomatoes. its amazing what dogs get into sometimes lol